The Future of Donut CS
  • As many have suspected, our continued use of the server is in question.

It seems as if no one is interested in continuing it, as I see people running off to other games (I myself am guilty of this) and running off to other servers when we can and should be supporting our server. So it comes to the bottom line:

Do we want to continue this?

If so, then we need stronger actions towards keeping the server populated, and we cannot continue to expect Gammanco to keep furnishing this server. I havent seen a single donation since this started. Pass the collection plate!

What are your thoughts on this as a community.
  • GovernorGovernor May 2009
    I don't know if I should participate in this discussion since I wasn't really onboard from the start, but I really don't see this is a viable long-term (and by that I mean even a few months) venture. There are no more people [from this community or in the general cs community] playing CS now than there were a year and a half ago when we finally signed off on the old FD server, and of the people that do play, none that I'm aware of are able to actually schedule a significant amount of time to making the FD server happen.

Of course, everyone could drop whatever games they currently play or hobbies they've picked up to replace the time they used to spend on FD to make the server a success again, but most of us will never be captivated to the same extent by CS again, so I think it is inevitable that the server population will decline over time regardless of how gung ho you all are from the start.

The ultimate truth is, there are better games out than CS, and we don't play games nearly as much as we used to anyway. I would much rather focus on the actual alternatives that allow the members of FD to spend time together than engage in a pursuit of something that has little hope of longevity.
  • AlfyAlfy May 2009
    QUOTE (Governor @ May 22 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The ultimate truth is, there are better games out than CS, and we don't play games nearly as much as we used to anyway. I would much rather focus on the actual alternatives that allow the members of FD to spend time together than engage in a pursuit of something that has little hope of longevity.

Nowadays, if I am going to play a game, it is normally on my iPhone. If I am going to fire up something for a length of time, it is WoW. Even that is slipping into the "don't play anymore" realm. I simply no longer make the time to play video games anymore, or I have moved on to other games and communities. I am down for a "FD gaming night" where we all vote on a game to play together once a week, and go for it. That way we could be a little more fluid with what we are going to do. I think that CS has run its course as far as most gamers are concerned, and it is a dying game, at least within this community.

Would I even be will to try and play to keep a server full for some other venture? Most likely not. But I am sure there are other gamers here within this community that would be interested in doing so. Hell, there might even be enough people to actually keep this CS thing going.
  • BrianBrian May 2009
    Make it source, toss in a bank mod and stats (for me to whore). You'd see me on there more often.

Otherwise my view is and always will be: meh.
  • But it's so hard to let it go image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • xemplarxemplar May 2009
    QUOTE (Zer0^ @ May 22 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    But it's so hard to let it go image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

all good things come to an end.
  • jimmah7jimmah7 May 2009
    even xemp's heterosexuality
    QUOTE (Jimmah7 @ May 23 2009, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    even xemp's heterosexuality

nope. that will never end.
  • JonobonoJonobono May 2009
    My advice is to pick a new game and put as much enthusiasim into it as you do to cs. There really isn't much question you could start a new community. CS just has no new fanbase. Most of the players have their niche's.
  • romerashromerash May 2009
    QUOTE (Jonobono @ May 23 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My advice is to pick a new game and put as much enthusiasim into it as you do to cs. There really isn't much question you could start a new community. CS just has no new fanbase. Most of the players have their niche's.

^

don't waste time trying to resurrect a game that's lost too much interest, there were many games that donuts played even when cs was still around, like bf WoW and dota
    QUOTE (romerash @ May 23 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ^

don't waste time trying to resurrect a game that's lost too much interest, there were many games that donuts played even when cs was still around, like bf WoW and dota

bf2?...lol. the bf2 "clan" lasted probably 4 months. probably not even that long. people didnt feel like populating, or, they just felt like playing something else.....
  • QUOTE (Alfy @ May 22 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am down for a "FD gaming night" where we all vote on a game to play together once a week, and go for it. That way we could be a little more fluid with what we are going to do. I think that CS has run its course as far as most gamers are concerned, and it is a dying game, at least within this community.

I second this idea, that could and would be a lot of fun if it happened.
  • romerashromerash May 2009
    i never said any of those lasted forever
  • ishish May 2009
    1:15 a.m. - successfully recruited players to come play to the server - 14 total at this point

In my opinion, all it takes is a couple friend messages and then tell people to invite some friends.
  • LethaLLethaL May 2009
    QUOTE (xemplar @ May 23 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    bf2?...lol. the bf2 "clan" lasted probably 4 months. probably not even that long. people didnt feel like populating, or, they just felt like playing something else.....

ask fratersang or gachi about the bf2 squad we had, the mandy nights and persons playing it made me buy the game, the squad had like 25-30 members before i bought the game or got invited in, a lot of players showed at mandy nights. The squad lasted a lot more than 4 months because i got invited in march and we stopped our gaming operation official in the month of october in the same year so that makes 6 months minimum plus the time before i got invited in the squad or even bought the game and i haven't bought the game because i got told to do so but because i've seen a lot of guys playing it on a regular base for a long time so the squad has been alive for a much longer time than you think
    QUOTE (LethaL @ May 24 2009, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ask fratersang or gachi about the bf2 squad we had, the mandy nights and persons playing it made me buy the game, the squad had like 25-30 members before i bought the game or got invited in, a lot of players showed at mandy nights. The squad lasted a lot more than 4 months because i got invited in march and we stopped our gaming operation official in the month of october in the same year so that makes 6 months minimum plus the time before i got invited in the squad or even bought the game and i haven't bought the game because i got told to do so but because i've seen a lot of guys playing it on a regular base for a long time so the squad has been alive for a much longer time than you think

I was in it.....anyway...I had no idea the time frame, but I do remember it was around 4 months. It was probably longer, yes. Mandy nights were cool, but, as people got sick of each other and stopped playing/showing up, that is what ultimately fucked us over.
  • hahaha buck3y3 and i got fragged to go through a 3 hour install period (bf2) while he listened to us play, and then once he was patched and ready to join us, we both went to bed.

unfortunately as time has passed i've grown apathetic towards cs, but would be interested in pursuing a game that would appeal to everyone.

cliffs: fr4gged is gay, don't play cs anymore, would welcome new game if everyone would play it.
  • Simply put, the honey moon period is over.

As awesome as it was to have that 2 week period of everyone trying their best to get things going, part of me knew it wasn't going to last. I'm guilty of just not playing CS much anymore (just got my PS3 back online so go figure). It is a game I'll always come back to, but that's not what's needed, we need new players and the game itself doesn't have that anymore.

• ScabdatesScabdates May 2009
    tf2 is great everyone play it
    A bunch of people do play it.
  • LethaLLethaL May 2009
    they play it because its the free weekend
    No, I know a bunch of people that have played it for awhile now. I'm sure a few have tried the free weekend as well, though.
    I got it today for 9.99!
  • xemplar plays it:

AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID
  • JonobonoJonobono May 2009
    Didn't you get dominated by me twice during are "enemy at the gates" like sniper battle?

*To Scabdates
  • KPKP May 2009
    I also don't see the server lasting a long time.

I don't really play video games anymore...but I think TF2 server would do well.
  • Usually will be playing most every night this summer, but haven't been able to play for a while because of internship. might have to make the switch to source for the server though.
  • NunesNunes May 2009
    I'd play CS more, but Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 doesn't demand a solid 4 hour block of day to play in any meaningful capacity.
  • ScabdatesScabdates May 2009
    QUOTE (Jonobono @ May 25 2009, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Didn't you get dominated by me twice during are "enemy at the gates" like sniper battle?

*To Scabdates

Statement is misleading because it leaves out the like ten times I dominated you. Thx.
  • gammsgamms May 2009
    On the first of the month the server will be down. It was worth another shot, and it was quite fun playing with a bunch of you who had moved on from the game. Thanks to those who did put time and effort into the server, it was very appreciated.
    Thanks for the effort and financial investment!
  • Big thanks to gamms for getting the server up and running again!
  • LethaLLethaL May 2009
    Thanks gamms, for your effort and investment, it was very appreciated
  • ErlingErling May 2009
    Very much appreciated!

Should plan on a D3 guild/clan.
  • gammsgamms May 2009
    I'll definately be up for that when D3 comes out!
  • BrianBrian May 2009
    Same, as it will be stealing my soul. Might as well make a group/clan/guild/whateverthefuckitscalled.
  • why don't we focus on getting groups together (and using these forums) and posting game nights where we hop on a vent and roll into servers and have fun and hang out!

there's plenty of CS servers that are open and free for us to use. sure we wouldn't be able to ban or map change, but the choices are endless (don't see it being a problem)
    I hate not being able to play any game. :/...stupid 9 year old computer..(yes dan, it's the one i deleted my registry on. image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />)
  • ChillsonChillson August 2009
    I play CS occassionally. Resin though...
  • AnotherevilAnotherevil October 2009
    I just reinstalled CS.

Where does most of Donut play now?
  • ArriaArria December 2009
    image/ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Of course just as I get my computer running you guys are thingking of shutting down! I just want to say PPPLLLZZZZZ keep the server!

That is all...
  • mungomungo December 2009
    Haha sweetie, you're a little late....
  • ArriaArria December 2009
    I noticed. I couldn't find an IP addy... image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

So where does everyone play now?
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf December 2009
    QUOTE (Arria @ Dec 10 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I noticed. I couldn't find an IP addy... image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

So where does everyone play now?

We mostly just play with ourselves. If Resin is still running I can on rare occasions be found there.
  • AlfyAlfy December 2009
    Holy crap, it's Arria!
  • NunesNunes December 2009
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Dec 10 2009, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We mostly just play with ourselves.

QFT
  • PhilPhil December 2009
    I played a full hour of CS this week. It was sorta fun.
  • BillBill December 2009
    I also enjoyed it.
  • Jim+MorrisonJim Morrison December 2009
    Well fuck, I'm happy I'm not the only one who's just hopping back onto CS and looking for that Donut fix.
  • azn+mikeazn mike January 2010
    who the hell is this member image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • ChillsonChillson February 2010
    I play drunk unprotected sex.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership