The progression of FD
  • mungomungo August 2009
    Are you satisfied with where FD has gone? I'm not making a poll because I'm interested in the thought process behind what you all say.

I believe that the problem with FD started with age discrepancies. We rarely bring about new people -- and when we did, they were all around the same age. The servers were, undoubtedly, the most talented servers I had ever been a part of.

I'm not saying that the FD community is bad, or disconnected, or anything negative -- in fact, like all great things I believe it has followed the natural progression from its peak to where we are. Most of us graduated college, had other interests, serious partners, etc. so it's safe to assume that most of us moved on from gaming.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for here...I want to hear what everyone thinks. Are you upset the CS servers came down? Are you upset that you don't have time to play video games? What keeps bringing you back to the forums? The goofy threads, the flame wars, or something else?

If you're upset with where FD is at now, can you pinpoint an instance where we started to 'lose interest' to you? Was it Corey 'soundhacking'? Was it Bud retiring? Was it CAL and everyone who chose to scrim instead of pug?
  • PheylanPheylan August 2009
    I have two things that contributed for me. One was the group never finding a game that could replace CS, that we could interact and enjoy our selves with as much as we did with that game.

I also regret everyone not living closer to me so I could go to more of the lans. (I worded it that way because me living closer to everyone else means I'd have to be farther north. That won't happen.)
  • coffeecoffee August 2009
    I think the rise of the console era is the underlying cause of the problems FD has experienced with sustainable growth. I appreciated the effort put forth to try to delay the inevitable. There shouldn't be any feelings of dissatisfaction with where FD is now compared to how great everything was in the past, as it would undermine the best part of it all. FOr me it was about the sense of camraderie being a part of the community, always was, and is why I still visit the forums. I just can't get enough of the many wonderful personalities that simultaneously amuse and annoy the shit out of me
  • ErlingErling August 2009
    I agree, with Phey. It was not being able to find a suitable game to replace CS. We all knew CS was going down but couldn't find anything to replace it with. WoW almost worked. Be it my fault as GM or not, it didn't continue the way we had wanted. Chad/Fatal left for more serious guilds, I burned out and left for a while. Many people we recruited through WoW didn't seem interested in our actual community and so on. BF2 didn't take off as expected. It goes on and on. This community was built around CS 1.6. It seems the fall of 1.6 doomed this community as we all went on to different games/lives.

I still love you all though! image/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
  • ohaiohai August 2009
    First it was forbidden; now it's a donut. It's deep; let it sink in.
  • stealth_3lfstealth_3lf August 2009
    QUOTE (oh heeeey @ Aug 31 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First it was forbidden; now it's a donut. It's deep; let it sink in.

were you someone that played on the server back in the day? I'm just trying to place you to be honest

anyways

Myself I have to agree with coffee, a lot of it was for camraderie , and I also can't get enough of the melding pot of personality/view points that is this communities life blood. I don't really contribute much anymore but I find myself coming back normally once every couple days just to see what is being said on the forums. I enjoyed the days with the server as there was more activity on the forums then, but I can't and wouldn't complain about it now. This is still a great community and I'm glad to be a small part of it image/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
  • ohaiohai August 2009
    QUOTE (stealth_3lf @ Aug 31 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    were you someone that played on the server back in the day? I'm just trying to place you to be honest

fuck no video games are stupid i dont play that shit never have never will
  • xemplarxemplar September 2009
    QUOTE (oh heeeey @ Aug 31 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

then why are you on these forums?.....
  • ScabdatesScabdates September 2009
    QUOTE (mungo @ Aug 31 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Was it Corey 'soundhacking'?

I don't know whether or not this directly caused the decline, but I would say that in terms of the timeline, this is about where it began.
  • NunesNunes September 2009
    QUOTE (oh heeeey @ Aug 31 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never change. I don't care WHOSE alt you are. You're awesome.

I think that the core talent in the server spending more time practicing and competing was a contributor. But more than anything else, time.

See, time marched on. Games changed, interests changed. You're not going to tell a group of people who loved CS that this new game is the next thing the community is going to do. Some people played BF2 and that picked up steam, but it never had the potential that CS had for community building. Other CS people were still playing CS, and drifting away from FD's server for greener pastures as interest waned.

Then more time passed, and people stopped having the time to devote to games. Many got grown up jobs that eat 1/3 of each day. Combined with sleeping that leaves 8 hours a day to do stuff. For those with girl/boyfriends, that number shrinks even further. Considering that we're mostly over 21 here now, we have more options than we did in high school/college. And less time to exercize them. For me at least, serious gaming's kind of fallen by the wayside. I play a few console games, and I just found out my 2nd favorite cs server got res'd so I'll dick around in there, but seriously... I know I was able to sit down and rock out on CS for 6 to 8 hours a sitting, easy. If I did that today I'd feel like a piece of shit.
  • romerashromerash September 2009
    dota / HoN
  • KPKP September 2009
    QUOTE (coffee @ Aug 31 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think the rise of the console era is the underlying cause of the problems FD has experienced with sustainable growth. I appreciated the effort put forth to try to delay the inevitable. There shouldn't be any feelings of dissatisfaction with where FD is now compared to how great everything was in the past, as it would undermine the best part of it all. FOr me it was about the sense of camraderie being a part of the community, always was, and is why I still visit the forums. I just can't get enough of the many wonderful personalities that simultaneously amuse and annoy the shit out of me

I think we can safely say that no one was happy when the servers went down.

I think it is not just the console games, it is the age of the players. Sadly, we are all getting old and video games for a lot of people are not that important as you get older. While you don't have to take life horribly serious at our age or any age, video games..at least to me..seem more and more like a waste of time. Playing with your friends, makes it less of a waste of time, but when everyone stops playing the same game, it makes it hard to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership