my promotion
  • GachiGachi September 2009
    I was finally pinned as a Lance Corporal today from Private First Class. Can you believe, I've been in the Marine Corps for 9 months already? Time has flown!

On another note, we're officially done with Comm School, so I'm now considered a Field Radio Operator as well. I'm looking forward to going home for some time off starting on the 10th.
  • NunesNunes September 2009
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Sep 4 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I was finally pinned as a Lance Corporal today from Private First Class. Can you believe, I've been in the Marine Corps for 9 months already? Time has flown!

On another note, we're officially done with Comm School, so I'm now considered a Field Radio Operator as well. I'm looking forward to going home for some time off starting on the 10th.

Do you have secret security clearance yet?

/gratz, also.
    They honestly haven't told us what clearance we have but we're told if we haven't heard anything, it means we're cleared. As Radio Operators, we handle Crypto in the radio. The Crypto can range from Unclassified to Top Secret. We must be able to handle it.
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Sep 4 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They honestly haven't told us what clearance we have but we're told if we haven't heard anything, it means we're cleared. As Radio Operators, we handle Crypto in the radio. The Crypto can range from Unclassified to Top Secret. We must be able to handle it.

The job req is Secret. So I imagine you have *that* right now. More promotions will yield higher clearance, and then you can write a book about stuff in 40-50 years and make some bank.

/They make the job sound really cushy on the military sites. But Hollywood teaches me that if a sniper has to choose between an officer, a general, a grunt, or a radio man, they'll plug the radio man. And Hollywood never lies.
    //How hairy are the situations you can expect to find yourself in?
    yes, we're considered Battery Powered Grunts, but also known as Sniper Targets. Comm is one of the most important jobs in the military, obviously. I'm being attached to an infantry unit, so if I leave the wire, you can expect what I'll be doing.
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Sep 4 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    yes, we're considered Battery Powered Grunts, but also known as Sniper Targets. Comm is one of the most important jobs in the military, obviously. I'm being attached to an infantry unit, so if I leave the wire, you can expect what I'll be doing.

Fortunately, I hear that they deck those folks out in armor, presumably so they can keep comm open without worrying about getting holes punched through their chest. It's a nice upside to being a high priority target. But I don't hear much about enemy snipers these days anyway, I'm just talkin' Hollywood. And we all know how accurate their portrayal of the military is.

Sounds like you're having a pretty good time, though.
    My one Sgt who is one of my instructors here told us a story about how him and a buddy were patrolling next to each other when his buddy was shot in the chest by a sniper. My Sgt was the radio operator, so he got down and called in enemy fire, but believes the shot may have been for him. Luckily they both had their flaks on, and the buddy was good to go.
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Sep 4 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My one Sgt who is one of my instructors here told us a story about how him and a buddy were patrolling next to each other when his buddy was shot in the chest by a sniper. My Sgt was the radio operator, so he got down and called in enemy fire, but believes the shot may have been for him. Luckily they both had their flaks on, and the buddy was good to go.

God Bless body armor, man.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership