Buying a Laptop
  • cutchinscutchins November 2009
    Just finished bootcamp. I'm now down in Pensacola, FL. I'll tell you guys more about it after I have my own laptop and internet connection. I've got a 30 min limit here.

I need links/suggestions for a laptop around $750. I'm looking for value and reliability. Gaming isn't a priority for me anymore, though I will definitely still be doing it. Any help is welcome. I'll be back tomorrow to check this so help fast! I'd like to buy it this week. Worse comes to worse, I may have to just stop in at Best Buy and pick one up there. But can't I find better deals online?

Thanks guys!
  • PheylanPheylan November 2009
    Congrats on finishing boot!

How long are you down here for?

Where are you staying? BOQ? I doubt they are let you live off base if you aren't married (I feel like you would have told us that, but guys have done stranger things.)

You can find better deals on a lot of the stuff at the NEX at Correy compared to Best Buy. If you do decide to buy one at a store, go by the NEX.
  • NunesNunes November 2009
    Fuck yeah. Can't wait to hear about it.

Try Dell. I've never had problems, though I hear other people are less enthusiastic. I've found they are usually at a pretty good price point. And if you're into unix, I think they'll load ubunto on that shit.

$0.02
  • AlfyAlfy November 2009
    I have never had any problems with any notebook other than Gateways. However, my wife is using a Asus notebook, and loves it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220636 I might recommend that one ($650). The warranty for Asus machines is awesome. http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx...SLanguage=en-us I have never had to use it, but I have read up on others who have.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Nov 23 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Congrats on finishing boot!

How long are you down here for?

Where are you staying? BOQ? I doubt they are let you live off base if you aren't married (I feel like you would have told us that, but guys have done stranger things.)

You can find better deals on a lot of the stuff at the NEX at Correy compared to Best Buy. If you do decide to buy one at a store, go by the NEX.

I'm in the Carl Vinson barracks at NATTC. Not sure for how long. I've been told it could be up to 6 months, but nothing is definite. I haven't classed up yet, I've been doing indoc classes. Once I'm done that and get all my watch quals i'll probably be on hold for a while waiting to class up. Where are you? Nearby?

And yeah I'll check out that other NEX this weekend as well. I heard it's better than the one we have here on base.
    I'm stationed at NAS Pensacola, but live off base in Perdido Key. Probably be here until February or so. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you want to grab lunch one day let me know. I'll be on leave until Monday morning.

Are you waiting to class up for BUD/S? Did they stash you here to waste time until classing up or have you started your SpecWar classes? I would have thought that was in CA or maybe Great Lakes before you left.

Yeah, the Correy NEX is much more like a Target while the Pensacola one is like a big CVS.
  • AlfyAlfy November 2009
    Are you stationed on the Carl Vinson?
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Nov 24 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm stationed at NAS Pensacola, but live off base in Perdido Key. Probably be here until February or so. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you want to grab lunch one day let me know. I'll be on leave until Monday morning.

Are you waiting to class up for BUD/S? Did they stash you here to waste time until classing up or have you started your SpecWar classes? I would have thought that was in CA or maybe Great Lakes before you left.

Yeah, the Correy NEX is much more like a Target while the Pensacola one is like a big CVS.

I actually lost my spec war contract last minute after taking the psychological survey. Basically, I scored low which meant to get the contract I needed to lower my swim/run times more than i could manage in the last month of my DEP. I could have just refused enlistment or maybe switched to a different part of nsw (EOD or SWCC) but I had my heart set on SEAL and it felt weird to ask for a contract for one of the "easier" ones. So I just sucked it up and enlisted with my backup rate of AV. Now I'm in Pensacola learning Avionics and once I get to my first duty station I'll decide if I still wanna go SEAL or just stick with this.

Yeah I'd be down to grab some lunch some time. I'm free this whole weekend. I've got off base liberty but I have to stay in uniform and gotta be back at the barracks by 2145.

And Alfy, no I'm not stationed on the Carl Vinson. All of the barracks are named after ships in the Navy.
    I'll be back Monday morning. I'll have to look at my schedule by I should be goodto grab lunch that afternoon if you want. We can stay on base or go off base, your choice. I've been about everywhere by now. We can figure it out a little sooner to monday.
  • NunesNunes November 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Nov 26 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I actually lost my spec war contract last minute after taking the psychological survey. Basically, I scored low which meant to get the contract I needed to lower my swim/run times more than i could manage in the last month of my DEP. I could have just refused enlistment or maybe switched to a different part of nsw (EOD or SWCC) but I had my heart set on SEAL and it felt weird to ask for a contract for one of the "easier" ones. So I just sucked it up and enlisted with my backup rate of AV. Now I'm in Pensacola learning Avionics and once I get to my first duty station I'll decide if I still wanna go SEAL or just stick with this.

Yeah I'd be down to grab some lunch some time. I'm free this whole weekend. I've got off base liberty but I have to stay in uniform and gotta be back at the barracks by 2145.

And Alfy, no I'm not stationed on the Carl Vinson. All of the barracks are named after ships in the Navy.

Wait, lemme make sure I got this right, since that was chock full of ... stuff.

You didn't score high enough on the psych evaluation, so they raise the physical requirements. You couldn't match those new ones in time, so you "enlisted with your backup rate of AV" (no clue. sorry man.) But from the next sentence I can presume that this means that you're in some kind of military purgatory and you have until you get to your first duty station to be able to go SEAL?

Sry am dum.
  • redboneredbone November 2009
    +1 newegg asus
  • cutchinscutchins December 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 27 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wait, lemme make sure I got this right, since that was chock full of ... stuff.

You didn't score high enough on the psych evaluation, so they raise the physical requirements. You couldn't match those new ones in time, so you "enlisted with your backup rate of AV" (no clue. sorry man.) But from the next sentence I can presume that this means that you're in some kind of military purgatory and you have until you get to your first duty station to be able to go SEAL?

Sry am dum.

It means I'm enlisted as a normal sailor, instead of joining the special warfare community. AV is my job. Avionics. Aviation electronics and computer systems. Once I get to my first duty station as a normal sailor, I will then be able to resume my journey towards becoming a SEAL.

I made a decision on a laptop. I went with the Sony Vaio VGN-FW510F/B. The selling point was the resolution (1600x900) which is hard to find at that price point ($700). Found it at Best Buy for $650 but it was sold out so I went online and spent a little more. It's a tremendous value. I never would have considered a Sony laptop before but they all seem to get great reviews and the little bit of playing with it I did in-store sold me on it.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with Sony laptops? Not like it matters now, but I'm curious.
  • NunesNunes December 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Dec 8 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It means I'm enlisted as a normal sailor, instead of joining the special warfare community. AV is my job. Avionics. Aviation electronics and computer systems. Once I get to my first duty station as a normal sailor, I will then be able to resume my journey towards becoming a SEAL.

I made a decision on a laptop. I went with the Sony Vaio VGN-FW510F/B. The selling point was the resolution (1600x900) which is hard to find at that price point ($700). Found it at Best Buy for $650 but it was sold out so I went online and spent a little more. It's a tremendous value. I never would have considered a Sony laptop before but they all seem to get great reviews and the little bit of playing with it I did in-store sold me on it.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with Sony laptops? Not like it matters now, but I'm curious.

Thanks for clearing that up. Military speak is like a foreign language man...

Not a personal experience, but Conrad, you remember Conrad, has been freelancing computer support shit, and his experience has been lackluster support on the part of Sony. This is understandable given the scope of their business... they probably can't support their TV's or their PS3's very well either. But you're not an idiot, so I imagine Sony's support line won't be getting many calls from you. Otherwise, the problems he's seen with them have been, as usual, PEBKAC
  • cutchinscutchins December 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 8 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Thanks for clearing that up. Military speak is like a foreign language man...

Not a personal experience, but Conrad, you remember Conrad, has been freelancing computer support shit, and his experience has been lackluster support on the part of Sony. This is understandable given the scope of their business... they probably can't support their TV's or their PS3's very well either. But you're not an idiot, so I imagine Sony's support line won't be getting many calls from you. Otherwise, the problems he's seen with them have been, as usual, PEBKAC

Excellent.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership