Ron Paul - November 5th
  • GovernorGovernor November 2007
    Ron Paul raised nearly 4 million dollars today (it might actually be 4 million by the time of this post; my figures are about an hour off and I'm not sure exactly what time zone they're going by)! It came in from more than 35,000 donations. He's going to need to keep pulling numbers like these to compete in Iowa, but if the donations do keep coming in, it could be quite the upset!

If you support Ron Paul, please consider donating. Whether you are a poor college kid or jobless, you can scrounge together $25 to support a change that will affect the rest of your life. Pack lunch an extra week; work an hour or two overtime; or just spare yourself the extra few shots at the bar this weekend. Dr. Paul needs all the support he can get, and America needs Ron Paul.

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate/
  • JonobonoJonobono November 2007
    Desided to start reading up on the 08 election. This gentleman intreges me.
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2007
    Raised 4.2 million to break the record for internet donations.

A bit short (1.5 million) of the overall record for single day donations, set by John Kerry on the day he received the democratic nomination.
  • EvestayEvestay November 2007
    close your ears if you donated, you dont want to hear that toilet flushing ;x
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2007
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Nov 6 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To say that you'd have to know very little about Ron Paul and his support base.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon November 2007
    I find his site incredibly unctuous, but I suppose most are. At least he isn't Hillary. I'll probably vote for him.
  • QUOTE (Black Balloon @ Nov 6 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I find his site incredibly unctuous, but I suppose most are. At least he isn't Hillary. I'll probably vote for him.

http://www.dailypaul.com is a nice Ron Paul community, by the way.
    Thanks. That's a big improvement.

Gotta say, if he follows through he's just about exactly the kind of guy I would vote for.
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Nov 6 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite to the contrary, I can't really think of anything more worthy to spend my money on. I mean, I guess I did want to save for a new Macbook Pro, but I hardly see how that is comparable to supporting the best man for the most important job in the world. If he loses, it will be quite a shame; however, at least I will be content with my own decisions as the US fucks up the world even more.
    At least those who vote for Ron Paul can be absolved of personal responsibility.
  • flaveflave November 2007
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Nov 6 2007, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    To say that you'd have to know very little about Ron Paul and his support base.

Scabs, despite the fact that Paul has an enormous support base online, that tends to be a very insular community. I would be willing to be that if you asked an average voter, even an average republican voter, on the street they will know little to nothing of Ron Paul.

He still has 10 months or so until the GOP primaries, but he'll have to do a lot more campaigning and keep up this donation spree to make that happen. Ron Paul has raised a little over $8 million thus far which is admirable, but he's still well being both the democratic and republican front runners at the moment.

The last poll I saw has Paul with around 5% of the republican vote. While his supporters are fervently on his side and definitely do a lot more grassroots work than any other candidate, I think in the end he simply will not have the support necessary to get elected.
  • Right, but the national polls are the old-fashioned land-line phone polls. Their criteria of "likely primary voter" is usually something like "voted in the 2004 presidential primary," which only had a turnout of about 6.6%, as it was just re-confirming a sitting president for re-election. Many of Dr. Paul's supporters have no land lines, and the ability to vote in '04 pretty much takes the entire college demographic out of the picture. Add to that the fact that the 6.6% who voted in the '04 primary confirmed Bush pretty much unanimously, and the numbers show something completely different than the media claim they show.

What it shows is that Dr. Paul is supported by 5%, more or less, of former Bush supporters over the age of 22, who own land lines.
    Two clarifications:

1. Ron Paul's Campaign has raised far more than 8 million. In fact, they have raised nearly 8 million in November alone.

2. The Iowa primary is on January 3rd, not in 10 months. Unfortunately, Ron Paul has already said that he is unwilling to run as an independent for the general election.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2007
    QUOTE (Governor @ Nov 7 2007, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Two clarifications:

1. Ron Paul's Campaign has raised far more than 8 million. In fact, they have raised nearly 8 million in November alone.

2. The Iowa primary is on January 3rd, not in 10 months. Unfortunately, Ron Paul has already said that he is unwilling to run as an independent for the general election.

Good call on #2. There have been some good presidential candidates that didn't get any recognition, because they were running independently.
  • carto0ncarto0n November 2007
    i would just like to reiterate the fact that i love Ron Paul
  • flaveflave November 2007
    QUOTE (Governor @ Nov 7 2007, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Two clarifications:

I apologize, the date of my figures was from September 30. I should have checked that.

As far as #2 goes, I wasn't referring to the Iowa primary, I was referring to the GOP national convention where they'll confirm the republican candidate. It's usually pretty easy to see who the winner will be prior to that, but it's not official until September 4, 2008.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership