So my sister got an iMac for Christmas...
  • BrianBrian December 2009
    Take a look at this:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

See the part where it says that it even runs windows? And that installation is easy and safe to your files?

Bullshit.

Ran bootcamp, partitioned the disc space.

Inserted XP disc when prompted.

Windows install begins, I format the partition using NTFS (The ONLY option available).

The system now continues to restart, and prompts for a new XP install each time. Repairing nets the same results. I do the mac bullshit and when its in its restart (not during any writing of files) and eject the disc by holding the mouse key.

Now I get an error with simply a picture of a file folder with a question mark in it, which is SO useful. Thankfully, google on my other windows machine tells me that the error picture I see means the computer cannot find a system folder. A little odd since I only touched the windows partition. Google also tells me that I should have created a mac drivers disc for windows. Another thing bootcamp didn't mention at all.

Oh and, what's this? Google also tells me that I was supposed to install using FAT 32... which I did not have the option for.

No biggy. I'll restart with the boot disc and reinstall OS X. Oh wait, when I get to the install, and it tells me to select where I would like to install the OS there are NO AVAILABLE OPTIONS.

The disc utility shows me that I have my partition, as well as the rest of the drive. It shows the rest of the drive as being OSX compatible. It also won't let me re-format or do anything similar to said drive, or do anything AT ALL to the drive because it is "read only".

So now my only option is to boot using my windows install as my boot drive, which only boots if I have the windows install disc inserted, and then only boots to the windows XP install screen AGAIN.

FUCK MAC.

If anyone has any ideas, aside from taking it back and saying "It doesn't fucking work." PLEASE, hook a brotha up.
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf December 2009
    A small to medium caliber rifle and a large supply of ammunition is my first thought. Oh, and a healthy dose of tannerite.
  • GovernorGovernor December 2009
    Sounds like a user error to me.

By the way, it didn't give you FAT32 as an option because FAT32 can only be installed on partitions less than 32 GB. That's not a MAC issue, it just happens to be one of the many downsides to that format. If you popped in a windows xp disc and used that to format your larger-than-32GB partition, it [correctly] wouldn't give you the option to do FAT32 either.
    Update: I now have windows running. OSX still does not function properly.
    Where are you getting user error from exactly? I followed the prompts exactly as given. There were NO OPTIONS for me to go wrong with.

If your only solution is to chime in with "sounds like user error" and offer NO explanation what-so-ever, and no justification for such a claim, do me a favour and stick your head up your ass in a different thread.

But regardless of you acting like a dick, I think I have it beat. Or at least back to running OS X on a dual partitioned drive. Back to scratch is better then nothing.
    I'm glad to hear that you got it working.

It sounds like a user error because software is neither magic nor sentient. The same piece of software cannot simply make the decision to break for one person while simultaneously working perfectly for someone else (in this case, millions of other people). Beyond that, no piece of software has the physical capability to lock out your computer hardware so that you cannot simply remove or replace it.

As a MAC user, I don't really give a shit whether or not you like the software. However, as a software developer, I do feel compelled to point out that you're irresponsibly assigning non-existent qualities to a piece of software.
    Well as a software developer, you should know that with the sheer number of variables that could result in an error, (especially for such a complex piece of software) its impossible to predict how a piece of software will react from one user to the next, unless all variables remain the same.

I was not nearly the only person to experience this issue.
  • NunesNunes December 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 25 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well as a software developer, you should know that with the sheer number of variables that could result in an error, (especially for such a complex piece of software) its impossible to predict how a piece of software will react from one user to the next, unless all variables remain the same.

I was not nearly the only person to experience this issue.

This is why MAC's don't permit you to use 50+% of the hardware on the market. The idea is to limit said variables. This is particularly flabbergasting since the machine is blank, empty, bare, brand-new, etc.

But yeah, Court... This concept that software works the same for everyone given the same set of inputs is pretty and all, but there are a plethora of bootcamp issues... This isn't some kind of claim of wizardry, just shitty programming and lack of support.

Bootcamp issues

* TIP: Updating Boot Camp Windows drivers in Leopard when MacDrive is installed
    * Leopard's Boot Camp still hasn't fixed Vista Cinema Display problem
    * Windows display settings change to default when rebooting in XP
    * Report of success with Apple NVidia driver
    * FAT partitions don't appear in Option-startup; problems with clock resetting
    * TIP: 30-inch Apple Cinema Display driver for XP in Boot Camp
    * Kernel panics with 10.5.2 during Boot Camp partitioning
    * Reader's video driver crashes under Vista on iMac
    * Boot Camp partitioning losing hard disk space
    * Vista SP1 and Boot Camp
    * Reader says Boot Camp 2.1 fixed Bluetooth keyboard, mouse issues
    * Boot Camp problem with AutoCAD licensing
    * Boot Camp 2.1 and Windows XP SP3
    o TIP: Fixing Win XP if you accidentally install SP3 before Boot Camp 2.1
    * Boot Camp claims insufficient drive space
    * TIP: Windows in Boot Camp doesn't see more than 2 GB RAM; plus, a 3 GB hack
    * Fixing Boot Camp Win XP without SP2
    * Reader interrupted Vista update in Boot Camp, now won't boot
    * Nvidia video drivers fix fuzzy Boot Camp problem?
    * Random crashes in Win XP, Vista
    * More on Vista limitations; Vista SP1 reports 4 MB
    * TIP: Vista in Boot Camp is hot, hot hot (and how to keep it cool)
    * Boot Camp, Vista, and dual monitors; one display is dim
    * TIP: Win won't boot or install in Boot Camp if external FireWire drives attached
    * TIP: how to clone a Boot Camp partition
    * Win XP maxes out Mac CPU
    * Boot Camp won't work with ATTO SAS PCI
    * Boot Camp install error: Windows cannot configure one or more system components
    * TIP: fixing a Windows Browseui.dll error
    * Windows won't format a Boot Camp partition
    * Boot Camp 2 problem with Matrox dual-monitor controller
    * Reader's Boot Camp Multi-touch trackpad update causes Vista to crash
    * Windows blue screen in Boot Camp with Skype
    * File name causing Boot Camp Win XP BSoD with Leopard Server
    * Boot Camp multi-touch causes video applications to crash
    * Windows endless boot cycle in Boot Camp
    * Boot Camp/Windows won't boot with DVI video
    * Windows 7 in Boot Camp problem with scanner

It's far from "running perfectly" for people.

Brian:
    Try here... it's dirty and specific, but might give you some ideas.
    Holy shit Andrew thanks, that's a ton more info then I was able to find on my own. At the moment I found the whole situation frustratkg enough to leave a single partition running snow leopard, but when I feel like taking another stab at it this will be incredibly helpful.

Thanks again
  • AlfyAlfy December 2009
    This is going to sound like a whole lot of suck, but you may have to reinstall OS X to get it working again. What I would do to fix the problem is a full format of the machine using the Snow Leopard disks. Then reinstall Windows. When installing Windows, be careful to only format the partition that Mac OS made for Boot Camp. You will see a list of partitions there, choose the right one.

Bootcamp is by far not the easiest part of Mac OS. May I ask what you need Windows for?
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Dec 28 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This is going to sound like a whole lot of suck, but you may have to reinstall OS X to get it working again. What I would do to fix the problem is a full format of the machine using the Snow Leopard disks. Then reinstall Windows. When installing Windows, be careful to only format the partition that Mac OS made for Boot Camp. You will see a list of partitions there, choose the right one.

Bootcamp is by far not the easiest part of Mac OS. May I ask what you need Windows for?

The pleasure of not using a Mac, perhaps? image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    Heh, I did a few full formats and reinstalls of os x. To even format from the mac disc I had to use the xp install disc to delete all current partitions, then create a new one and format it. Then And only then could I reformat from the mac install disc as a guid partition for the osx install.

For now I'm just going to leave it. I'll probably try again with vista instead of xp sometime soon. She wants a windows partition set up for gaming, and running a virtual machine in vmware or equivilent simply craps away resources, hence the partitioning.

Heh, I did a few full formats and reinstalls of os x. To even format from the mac disc I had to use the xp install disc to delete all current partitions, then create a new one and format it. Then And only then could I reformat from the mac install disc as a guid partition for the osx install.

For now I'm just going to leave it. I'll probably try again with vista instead of xp sometime soon. She wants a windows partition set up for gaming, and running a virtual machine in vmware or equivilent simply craps away resources, hence the partitioning.
  • AlfyAlfy December 2009
    Hmmm, I am running XP on my bootcamp install, and I have had no issues with it. I believe you need an XP with service pack 2 disk. If you need any help with it, hit me up on aim.
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Dec 29 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hmmm, I am running XP on my bootcamp install, and I have had no issues with it. I believe you need an XP with service pack 2 disk. If you need any help with it, hit me up on aim.

In fact, my cursory investigation turned up a bunch of tricksy stuff with versions of bootcamp and version of xp and issues resulting therefrom. Check your bootcamp version out and post it?

If you care?
  • ScabdatesScabdates December 2009
    /facepalm
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Dec 30 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /facepalm

Yeah, I don't know why you'd get someone an iMac for Christmas instead of a kick to the groin. At least the pain of the kick fades over time, but that iMac has to sit on your desk until it breaks...

pcmacflamewarpcmacflamewarpcmacflamewar
  • AlfyAlfy December 2009
    Personally, I would never get an iMac. If I am going to get a machine that I can't easily upgrade with a built in screen, give it a battery and make it portable.
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Dec 31 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Personally, I would never get an iMac. If I am going to get a machine that I can't easily upgrade with a built in screen, give it a battery and make it portable.

Yes, I consider it to be far more similar to a laptop than I do a traditional desktop since it doesn't have a tower you can easily modify, but it also has a 27" display with a full keyboard and mouse. The portability of a laptop is nice, but developing (or gaming) on a 17" screen with an affixed keyboard is simply not comparable to developing on a screen 7-10 inches larger with a full keyboard.

Beyond that it is all aesthetics. Desktop towers are ugly and space-consuming, and a huge amount of that space goes to waste.

If you are the type of person that likes to constantly swap out parts, then a laptop/imac is probably not a good idea. If you're the type that always buys cheap parts that break, then the same holds true. If you are similar to me -- I've only ever had one hardware component break that needed to be replaced, and a computer "upgrade" always consists of simply buying a better computer, then a desktop like an iMac is simply unmatched by every other desktop on the market.

And as if it needed to be said, the display is absolutely stunning.
  • AlfyAlfy December 2009
    Yea, agree on the display comment. One of the guys in the office here has a 27", nothing can compare to it. He has the new external Apple display, and it looks like crap compared to the iMac.

As far as development is concerned, I miss the 17" display. I switched to a 15" with my new MacBook Pro, and I will never do it again. Thank God for my external display, or else I would hate it. I have a notebook stand, with a standard keyboard attached to it.
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Dec 31 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yea, agree on the display comment. One of the guys in the office here has a 27", nothing can compare to it. He has the new external Apple display, and it looks like crap compared to the iMac.

As far as development is concerned, I miss the 17" display. I switched to a 15" with my new MacBook Pro, and I will never do it again. Thank God for my external display, or else I would hate it. I have a notebook stand, with a standard keyboard attached to it.

I support notebook stands. If I could get a 27" display as nice as the iMac, I would drop my desktop altogether.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 January 2010
    agreed, fuck macs

image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
  • BlackLightBlackLight March 2010
    for the past three years every computer game i've played has been on my 15 inch macbook pro with bootcamp. don't really mind the keyboard and i've gotten used to everything, although a bigger display would be nice.

boot camp was extremely easy to set up for me not sure what happened with you preach
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership