State of the Union?
  • PheylanPheylan January 2010
    Andrew must be on vacation...

What are yalls thoughts on the speech?

I personally didn't think it was too bad. He did a good job of accepting some responsibility, as well as yelling at both parties and Congress in general. I didn't agree with everything he said, but then I don't think he really said a whole lot that was inflammatory. I wish he had touched on the NASA issue. I'm also not real big on the gays in the military portion of his speech.
  • NunesNunes January 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Jan 28 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Andrew must be on vacation...

What are yalls thoughts on the speech?

I personally didn't think it was too bad. He did a good job of accepting some responsibility, as well as yelling at both parties and Congress in general. I didn't agree with everything he said, but then I don't think he really said a whole lot that was inflammatory. I wish he had touched on the NASA issue. I'm also not real big on the gays in the military portion of his speech.

The portion in question:
    This year, I will work with Congress and our military to finally repeal the law that denies gay Americans the right to serve the country they love because of who they are. It's the right thing to do.

I thought this was pretty inflammatory for a State of the Union address:
    With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests –- including foreign corporations –- to spend without limit in our elections. I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people. And I'd urge Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to correct some of these problems.

I mean, the SCotUS sits *directly* in front of the president during the SotU. That shit is ballsy.

I enjoyed the constant and subtle dig at attack politics. Mixed in with legit "state of the union"-y things were comments aimed at building himself up. For a while now there's been this mixed debate centered around how much the president is doing. Too much! Too little! And he took the opportunity to toot his own horn about things that he's accomplished that might not be well known. Like posting a list of every visitor to the white house for public consumption.

I also liked the way that he stood by some of his decisions and used the chance to go into some detail about those decisions and how they have or will work out.

This was by far my favorite hunk. I thought it was classy, but pointed.
    Now -- just stating the facts. Now, if we had taken office in ordinary times, I would have liked nothing more than to start bringing down the deficit. But we took office amid a crisis. And our efforts to prevent a second depression have added another $1 trillion to our national debt. That, too, is a fact.

I'm absolutely convinced that was the right thing to do. But families across the country are tightening their belts and making tough decisions. The federal government should do the same. (Applause.) So tonight, I'm proposing specific steps to pay for the trillion dollars that it took to rescue the economy last year.

Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. (Applause.) Spending related to our national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will not be affected. But all other discretionary government programs will. Like any cash-strapped family, we will work within a budget to invest in what we need and sacrifice what we don't. And if I have to enforce this discipline by veto, I will. (Applause.)

Overall it was little I didn't already know. He reinforced some things I had concerns about him losing sight of, like DADT (which you have a differing opinion on), and he managed to cover a lot of ground with regards to a pretty intense political year without passing the blame or making overtly absurd promises.

The fact-checks for the speech mostly have clarifications and expansions of things that were said, so it seems like this speech was more or less honest and consistent, at least to a degree, with reality.

He also sounded presidential as hell.

8/10

• JeddHamptonJeddHampton January 2010
    I think he did a good job. Better than what I expected. I'm looking forward to see what policies he proposes.
  • NunesNunes February 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Jan 28 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm also not real big on the gays in the military portion of his speech.

Followup:

WASHINGTON - Pentagon officials are expected to announce today that they will significantly relax enforcement of the ban on gays serving openly in the military, according to sources inside and outside the military who have been briefed on the plan.

The move, independent of Congress, comes a week after President Obama called on lawmakers to repeal the controversial “don’t ask, don’t tell’’ law.

Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates and Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are expected to announce at least two specific policy shifts: No longer will a “third party,’’ such as a spouse or informant outside the military, be able to prompt investigations of service members by saying they are gay; and only generals and admirals will be authorized to decide whether someone should be discharged for being gay. Such decisions are now often made lower in the chain of command.

By barring third-party testimony from initiating investigations of service members’ sexual orientation, the Pentagon could cut down on the “witch hunts’’ that gay rights advocates say have resulted in the ouster of soldiers who have followed the policy by keeping their private lives private.

What in the flying fuck? So I could approach the military about CJ's blatant homosexuality and it could prompt an investigation into him? That's not Don't Ask Don't Tell. That's "Don't be gay or we will find you and we will humiliate you and we will put you under a microscope until you leave."

I don't like DADT as I thought it was... it was apparently outright discrimination without remorse...
  • AlfyAlfy February 2010
    I am outraged! WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Glenn Beck would say:
    "The successfulness of our military hinges on the warrior culture fostered within it. Now I don't believe in discrimination. Not at all. In fact, I support and encourage people of all races,religions,walks-of-life to join our armed forces and serve this, the greatest best country God ever put on the face of the earth. However, I wouldn't expect a gentleman with chronic hypoxia to be good at building skyscrapers! Would you expect a lion tamer to be good at his job if he had to suppress his sexual urges every time he had to do his job? Some aspects of the human condition simply aren't compatible with certain human tasks. Homosexuality, without making any judgments either way, isn't compatible with armed service."

If you're going to play a character, you've got to do your research.
  • AlfyAlfy February 2010
    I am not playing Glenn Beck; though he has a lot of good ideas, and is willing to say what is on everyone's mind.
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Feb 2 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I am not playing Glenn Beck; though he has a lot of good ideas, and is willing to say what is on everyone's mind.

Personally, I think he'd make a fantastic governor. Not a president (yet), but he could turn California around in a heart beat. That elitist movie-star liberal running the show there has had his chance. I think it's time to get a real man in office there.

/Palin could take over Beck's tv/radio show.
  • dandan February 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 2 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glenn Beck would say:
    "The successfulness of our military hinges on the warrior culture fostered within it. Now I don't believe in discrimination. Not at all. In fact, I support and encourage people of all races,religions,walks-of-life to join our armed forces and serve this, the greatest best country God ever put on the face of the earth. However, I wouldn't expect a gentleman with chronic hypoxia to be good at building skyscrapers! Would you expect a lion tamer to be good at his job if he had to suppress his sexual urges every time he had to do his job? Some aspects of the human condition simply aren't compatible with certain human tasks. Homosexuality, without making any judgments either way, isn't compatible with armed service."

If you're going to play a character, you've got to do your research.

A+ would read again.

-dan
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership