WinXP woes
  • woerwoer May 2010
    Every night I leave utorrent running, when I wake up, I close it and then stumble blurry eyed over to reddit.com, but it won't work. I can't access any webpages. This is despite utorrent still downloading/uploading fine at the time it was closed.

I've tried ipconfig /release and /renew, pulling the cable, and right clicking the network connection to disconnect and then reconnect (though I believe that's the same as ipconfig). None of them help. After restarting, it's fine.

Anyone have any idea why this happens? Is there a way to fix it without rebooting? Many thanks.
  • coffeecoffee May 2010
    firewall?

that was my problem. Happened to me a few times ago when I'd be playing a game on steam, then I'd exit and try to surf but no dice
  • woerwoer May 2010
    I do run peerblock with utorrent, but I've tried pulling webpages with and without it enabled/on with no difference :/
  • I get a similiar problem, only on win7, still using utorrent and PeerBlock though.

I've noticed it basically nukes my router temporarily, not sure why. I just unplug and replug in the router and it starts working again.

I'd check there first, see if any other computers are losing connection as well (if there are any others)
  • woerwoer May 2010
    QUOTE (fratersang @ May 6 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I get a similiar problem, only on win7, still using utorrent and PeerBlock though.

I've noticed it basically nukes my router temporarily, not sure why. I just unplug and replug in the router and it starts working again.

I'd check there first, see if any other computers are losing connection as well (if there are any others)

No trouble with other computers.

That reminds me. When I start utorrent, it comes up with some warning about the Nvidia ForceWare network control thing I accidentally installed with the video drivers. Do you have that? I wonder if that's the issue. Hopefully it's not because I've never managed to uninstall it without having to reinstall Windows again (due to networking not working).
  • nopers, ati here.
  • b1llyb1lly July 2010
    The NAT table on your router is probably flooded. Basically every IP you connect to from torrenting holds a spot in the table.

Lol, and donuts WOULD be redditors. Fav subreddit?
  • woerwoer July 2010
    ^makes sense, thanks.

i dont really check subreddits. the way i use reddit is only to go on 'top scoring' and set it to hide posts when i upvote/downvote and then just upvote/downvote at random to get shit off the page lol. i guess if i had to pick, it'd be iama. here are my subscribed subreddits:
    blog
    books
    business
    circlejerk
    cogsci
    conspiracy
    drugs
    economics
    economy
    food
    gadgets
    gaming
    geek
    guns
    heath
    history
    iama
    linux
    math
    mensrights
    movies
    music
    netsec
    politics
    programming
    python
    reddit.com
    science
    scifi
    technology
    todayilearned
    trees
    wikipedia
    worldnews
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership