James Cameron
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf June 2010
    Just found out about this and was amused.

WASHINGTON -- "Titanic" director and deep-sea expert James Cameron is saying the people who keep botching a fix to the Gulf oil spill are a bunch of "morons."

BP snubbed Cameron's offer to help plug the stubborn gusher that's become the worst environmental disaster in US history.

"Over the last few weeks I've watched . . . and [been] thinking, 'Those morons don't know what they're doing,' " he said.

He didn't say who in particular -- BP executives or Obama-administration officials -- he was calling "morons" in a speech Wednesday at the All Things Digital conference in Palos Verdes, Calif.

Cameron is a pioneer of undersea filming and remote-vehicle technologies, as well as director of "Avatar" and "Terminator 2." He huddled this week at the Washington headquarters of the Environmental Protection Agency with top scientists brainstorming a solution to the unstoppable oil leak deep beneath the Gulf.

Cameron helped develop submersible equipment to film the wrecks of the real Titanic and the German battleship Bismark about two miles underwater.

Also I am wondering why they didn't just mostly crush the pipe with some new hydraulics. Then they could deal with the reduced flow much more easily.
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    Ever closed off a hose with your thumb to make a pressure-washer?

Imagine the water coming out of the end of the hose being well above the boiling point of regular water and coming out about a million times faster.

It would likely blow somewhere else or simply be impossible to accomplish.
    lol, fake BP twitters. http://twitter.com/bpglobalpr

Shear-seal BOPs are fitted with hardened steel shearing surfaces that can actually cut through drill pipe and tool strings, if all other barriers fail.

BOP = blow out preventer. like the one that failed.

I think you under estimate the power of hydraulics and what I am suggesting. Looks like I will need to gimp something up.
    Well I might get this quickie to work. DL'd gimp. Surprised I didn't already have it installed on this comp. The rounded steel crushing surfaces would minimize the breakage in the pipe. Even if it did crack, a few hundred gallons a day versus a few thousand gallons a day is a big difference. Steel pipe is surprisingly malleable. I speak from experience. This thing is only 7 inches in diameter. It should crush easily. edit * ok, big hydraulics needed. the drill is still in the casing. It is still possible to crush it flat. Just needs a bigger hammer.
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Jun 6 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well I might get this quickie to work. DL'd gimp. Surprised I didn't already have it installed on this comp. The rounded steel crushing surfaces would minimize the breakage in the pipe. Even if it did crack, a few hundred gallons a day versus a few thousand gallons a day is a big difference. Steel pipe is surprisingly malleable. I speak from experience. This thing is only 7 inches in diameter. It should crush easily. edit * ok, big hydraulics needed. the drill is still in the casing. It is still possible to crush it flat. Just needs a bigger hammer.

I'm not an expert on hydraulics, but I suspect that while I'm likely underestimating the power of hydraulics, maybe you're underestimating the forces at play down there. Lemme see what I can dig up about conditions surrounding the leak. It's really intense.

The main issue I foresee isn't actually being able to crush the pipe, it's the deadly dervish of physical principles at play once that happens. You've got a nice strong pipe with its structural integrity violated... full of extremely hot pseudo-liquid... at extremely high but inconsistent pressures surrounded on all sides by 2360.95 psi.

Sounds a lot like a bomb to me.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership