Which CPU for a laptop: C2D-SU7300 or I5?
  • woerwoer June 2010
    I <3 my HP tx2500z tablet, except it gets so hot that it shuts down, so I'm going to replace it.

There are two versions of the one I want for basically the same price, one with a C2D SU7300 CPU (1.3ghz and can be OC'ed to 1.7ghz) and the other with an I5 520UM (1.066-1.866ghz). I'm having trouble finding benchmarks comparing them. Does anyone have suggestions on which to get? Is there much difference?

edit: to throw it out there, it's also available with a I7 640UM (1.2-2.266ghz) for $150 more, but it doesn't seem worth it at that price
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    QUOTE (z @ Jun 10 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I <3 my HP tx2500z tablet, except it gets so hot that it shuts down, so I'm going to replace it.

There are two versions of the one I want for basically the same price, one with a C2D SU7300 CPU (1.3ghz and can be OC'ed to 1.7ghz) and the other with an I5 520UM (1.066-1.866ghz). I'm having trouble finding benchmarks comparing them. Does anyone have suggestions on which to get? Is there much difference?

edit: to throw it out there, it's also available with a I7 640UM (1.2-2.266ghz) for $150 more, but it doesn't seem worth it at that price

I assume you've checked anandtech?

I haven't, but I assume you have.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 10 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I assume you've checked anandtech?

I haven't, but I assume you have.

Nope so thanks. I haven't looked at anything to do with computers since quitting cs, so I'm rusty. I remembered tomshardware has benchmarks, but the iX's weren't on there.

edit: doesn't look like they have mobile cpus on their benchmarks
  • fratersangfratersang June 2010
    Is it even worth it to OC a laptop? Seems like cooling with those things are minimal at best.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    QUOTE (fratersang @ Jun 10 2010, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is it even worth it to OC a laptop? Seems like cooling with those things are minimal at best.

supposedly with the su7300 it's a 20% performance boost (benchmark tested), of course at the cost of battery life and heat.

i'm thinking about going with the i5 for that reason. it'll turbo boost to 1.8ghz when needed and drop down when it's not (although it kind of worries me i can't control it at all--i hate cpu scaling on windows which doesn't scale up as much as needed and scales down too fast), while the su7300 OC's to 1.7ghz but i'd have to drop it down in the bios. it's about $50 more for the i5 though, and i don't know if i even need more than the su7300 (not oc'ed).
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    QUOTE (z @ Jun 10 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Nope so thanks. I haven't looked at anything to do with computers since quitting cs, so I'm rusty. I remembered tomshardware has benchmarks, but the iX's weren't on there.

edit: doesn't look like they have mobile cpus on their benchmarks

Why would you want to buy things that old? I just read your post image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Core 2 Duo? They make quadcore mobile processors now, you know. Just curious if there's like... compatibility issues.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 11 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why would you want to buy things that old? I just read your post image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Core 2 Duo? They make quadcore mobile processors now, you know. Just curious if there's like... compatibility issues.

Do they make a laptop with a 11-12" screen with a quad core proc?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership