Retarded External HD question
  • mungomungo June 2010
    So, I have an Alienware laptop, which is absolutely retarded. I'm going to sell it because I have no use for it. I do, however, have use for my 1TB mybook external HD which is most than half full.

If I get a mac, will I be able to use my HD without formatting it?
  • redboneredbone June 2010
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess yes
  • AlfyAlfy June 2010
    Not with out some way to read NTFS file systems. I use Tuxera NTFS, but there is other options out there.
  • GovernorGovernor June 2010
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Jun 29 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Not with out some way to read NTFS file systems. I use Tuxera NTFS, but there is other options out there.

Uh, what? OS X can read from an NTFS file system, but it cannot write to NTFS. I'm assuming that is what Alfy meant.

So if you got a new MAC, you could pull all of the contents of your external with no problem. Then you could do a quick format (OS X makes it hilariously easy) of the external in a format that OS X can write to natively, and move your files back.

That or you could pursue an option like Alfy mentioned, but I prefer to do it natively.
  • AlfyAlfy June 2010
    Yeah, I meant write. I would/have done what Gov suggested.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    There's no 3rd party driver to write to ntfs? Linux can read/write, so I have trouble with the idea Mac can't.
  • GovernorGovernor June 2010
    There is; that's what Alfy was talking about.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    who's alfy?
  • AlfyAlfy July 2010
    Wait, what?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership