Video Card
  • PheylanPheylan April 2011
    Ok, so I currently have a GTX 260 Core 216. I'd like to upgrade my video capability a bit. Would I be better off adding a second identical video card, or just spending a little more and getting a newer, better one? I'm not sure how it scales with having 2 video cards compared to one better one.
  • LethaLLethaL April 2011
    i barely know about SLI/CROSSFIRE beside what i've been reading from research which seemed to be that its better to have a higher end graphic card than 2 lower card with that being said i have no idea if buying an other gtx 260 and doing SLI would be better than upgrading to a better graphic card. Researching on benchmarks could probably help you figure out what would be the best for you it might take some patience to find exactly what you are looking for as info but its worth it

One very important thing which you need to figure out is how much money do you plan on investing for it, if you have a low budget then a second gtx 260 would probably be your best choice but if you have a bigger budget and maybe can sell your current gtx 260 then this could be a better option for you. Also make sure your power supply can handle sli and the power the 2 gtx 260 would ask this could also change your plan if your power supply can't or barely handle the output needed than a higher end card would fit you more because it should ask for less than 2 gtx 260.

here is a list dated from march 7th 2011 which represent the hierarchy of the graphic cards which has been released as of the date:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-590-radeon-hd-6990,2879-7.html
    Ok, awesome. As far as the power supply, its a 750w Dual SLI ready power supply, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Money wise, it's not really a big concern, although I would like to spend less if possible. $250 for a second video card vs $500 for a newer, better card.

Another option, which may be a little over kill. I currently have 6 gigs of ddr3 memory. I can go to 12. Is that a worthwhile investment, or would I really notice the difference? I don't think there is anything out there that recommends 6 gigs, let alone 12. Seems like a good, inexpensive upgrade option.
  • GovernorGovernor April 2011
    What OS do you use? I have 8GB for my windows 7 box, and I think it was worth every penny.
    Windows 7
  • fratersangfratersang April 2011
    Hope you are all using 64bit.

Imho, getting an additional video card is not worth it unless you are buying 2 upfront. By the time most people get to the point of deciding to double up on their existing card or to get 1 "much better" card, the cost effectiveness of the one "much better" card far outweighs 2 lesser cards. Plus, lethal has a good point about the power issues, add the extra heat to that too.
  • maliskmalisk May 2011
    This card scales very well. You will likely see nearly double the performance depending on what you're doing and you can find them for about $80. Together they would have about the same performance as a ATI 6950 1GB or GTX 295, which still sells for about $240-$300.

I'll try to find some good comparison charts to prove it tomorrow when I have time. Here's something to look at too: http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/938761-average-gtx-260-sli-scaling.html

If you are trying to save money this is the obvious choice. If you have extra cash and don't mind going into the $400's then buy a new card.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership