Google Chrome
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2008
    Google Chrome is awesome. It's really quick at loading CSS.
  • carto0ncarto0n September 2008
    love it as well....
  • cutchinscutchins September 2008
    Pretty sweet.

No add-ons? That stinks.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton September 2008
    They're working on getting an addons feature.
  • NunesNunes September 2008
    Just thought I'd point out that new browsers ruin web developers' chance at family lives.

/I'd kill myself if every program I wrote had to work on 4 -5 different platforms with between 15 and 20 possible configurations.
  • GovernorGovernor September 2008
    While dealing with cross-browser issues does constitute nearly 50% of any of my front-end development work, and I love any amount of understanding from others, something like chrome isn't really an issue. For one, it is based on webkit, so if your CSS works in safari, it'll work in chrome. The javascript would be a big issue since it is using the new V8 javascript engine, but v8 at least passes the acid 3 test (although it doesn't ace it by any standard). That generally means that aside from some obscure snippit of javascript, it shouldn't be a big deal with chrome. And finally, chrome's impact on the browser market is minuscule at best. The few features they have are nicely implemented, but either already exist in more popular browsers (start page: opera), will be released on new browsers soon(javascript speed increase: firefox 3.1 and safari 4), or are cool features that are used too infrequently to sway an entire market (multithreaded tabs).

No...the big problem these days is still Internet Explorer. It is awesome that IE6 is losing market share quickly, but IE7 isn't anywhere near as good of a quality as the other major browsers, so it is still a big problem. IE8 is finally suppose to ace the acid 2 test which means its css rendering will be up to standard (years behind); it's too bad that it can barely pull double digits with the acid 3 test which means its javascript capabilities will continue to be vomit inducing at best.
  • ScabdatesScabdates September 2008
    My school has finally essentially gotten rid of IE6.

I use Chrome full time now.
  • coffeecoffee September 2008
    Chrome's pretty fucking sweet. once they incorporate more add-ons like allowing download accelerator integration i'll be dropping firefox like a bad habit
  • AnotherevilAnotherevil September 2008
    QUOTE (coffee @ Sep 11 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Chrome's pretty fucking sweet. once they incorporate more add-ons like allowing download accelerator integration i'll be dropping firefox like a bad habit

So it will take you a while and some therapy to drop firefox!
    QUOTE (coffee @ Sep 11 2008, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want to rain on your parade, but do you realize that the webkit engine (safari/chrome) cannot support addons to the extent that the gecko engine (firefox) can? I'm not really sure what addons you're expecting, so this may or may not apply to you.
  • coffeecoffee September 2008
    No, I didn't realize that, but I'm a simple man, and the two things I really care about are multi-threading and the ability to support a download manager. So far it's Chrome 1, Firefox 1. I'm still not completely sold on Chrome, so I still use Firefox for the most part, but it's still a nice browser.
    If that's all you really want from a browser, I'm sure it'll come chrome's way eventually (probably built directly into the browser). You just can't expect a third party addon community to pop up around chrome anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership