League of Legends
  • azn+mikeazn mike October 2008
    A game that is exactly like DotA

Ginsu is in charge of it and I believe IceFrog is also helping now.

www.leagueoflegends.com
  • GovernorGovernor October 2008
    Well, it looks awesome. Hopefully it won't disappoint.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    Are we a clan?

edit: If yes, the following information is required:

Clan name
    Clan website
    Number of clan members
    Games your clan plays

edit 2: Might as well post the link to get signed up for Beta Testing.

edit 3: LoL... did they plan that?

edit 4:

I used the following:

Clan name: Forbidden Donut
    Clan website: fdassault.com
    Number of clan members: 8+
    Games your clan plays: Counter Strike, DotA, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Team Fortress 2
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 14 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, it looks awesome. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Well from what I've heard Ginsu and Icefrog is in collaboration to make it and they are also using the w3 engine as well so they may have some support from blizz but I probably just made that up.

They have 4 heroes up right now, and from the screenshots it looks exactly like dota, just polished to make it a little more like non-warcraft like.

I also heard that they are going to have an online banlist that is global so no leavers will be there and also they are going to make the game last about 45 minutes long, if not shorter.

it looks promising.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    QUOTE (Jong @ Oct 15 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well from what I've heard Ginsu and Icefrog is (sic) in collaboration to make it...

I've read this as well. Before the announce of the game, I've heard rumors that they were working on a stand-alone DotA like game. I can't find any information about that on the website, but I read it from one of the game blogs and believe it to be true.
    what i heard was that Ginsu disappeared without a trace about a year ago and handed off things to IceFrog.

During that year of disappearance he was making this game and announced it to the people of DotA and there was much rejoicing. So his disappearance was to make this game and he couldn't tell anyone no matter how excited he was haha.
  • azn+mikeazn mike December 2008
    has anyone been following this?
  • ScabdatesScabdates December 2008
    aha i dunno but i just signed up for the beta
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon December 2008
    QUOTE (Jong @ Dec 14 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaha no.
  • Losers.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton December 2008
    QUOTE (Jong @ Dec 14 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been checking out the new heroes. Not much more than that.
  • azn+mikeazn mike December 2008
    I wish they would do some direct replicates of heroes from DotA because I <3 PL image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • JonobonoJonobono January 2010
    I'm bumping this because i started to play with some friends and wanted to know if anyone else here plays. The game is totally free to download and play. However, if you are inclined, you can purchase things called riot points to unlock heroes and skins. You also earn Influence points from playing games which allows you to unlock the same stuff albeit, slower. A cheap hero costs about $2, with the most being $6, but again, if you're patient you will earn enough points through playing to buy the heroes. I've played about 40 games now and find the game to be really well balanced (minus certain heros having invisibility). For those who are curious, it is pretty much like Dota. Select a hero. Level to 18 by killing creeps or ganking enemy players, buy upgrades, defend your base, attack your enemies base. Differences from dota include, an out of game leveling system where you get XP for winning games, and less XP if you lose. Talents trees, a Rune system where you can upgrade certain abilities like crit and power. The game is pretty polished as well, everything looks and feels smooth. Every week they unlock like 15 characters that you can play for free, so the game has tons of variety. There are also 43 heroes to choose from (if you unlock them) so the game really doesn't get boring. Games last anywhere from 25 minutes (at which point a team getting stomped can surrender), to my longest being about an hour and fifteen minutes. Like i said its free, so that a big perk there. Feel free to ask questions, etc.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2010
    I would like to see a comparison between this game and Heroes of Newerth.
  • vegitotgkvegitotgk January 2010
    QUOTE (Governor @ Jan 17 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I would like to see a comparison between this game and Heroes of Newerth.

I've been playing HoN for about 3 weeks now and can say that S2 has done a pretty good job making DoTA a "real" game. Skill hotkeys have been formatted to Q,W,E, and R for each character, making the learning curve much easier for noobies. They remade a bunch of characters and added in a few new ones. Nearly all items from DoTA have been incorporated into HoN with new names and a couple of new items have been added as well. The graphics have been completely overhauled making the game much more pleasing to the eye. Overall, I think that S2 has made HoN into a legitimate game and I hope to play enough to become a part of the lower-tiered competitive scene.

On the other hand, while I have not played LoL myself, I have witnessed quite a few games being played by friends. From what I have seen, LoL looks to be a lot of fun but at a competitive level, I can't see the game progressing any further than pub matches because of the out-of-game leveling system. Runes and skill trees add more depth to the game but the players who play the most will have an upperhand with skills unavailable to those who don't play as much.

One of the most drastic differences between LoL and HoN are the way hero skills are used. In LoL, there is a way to toggle the radius of your hero's spells on and off. This is a bit hard to explain but I will compare it to DoTA. In DoTA, as of update 6.64, Pudge's Rot has an AoE of 250 at all levels. If Pudge were a character in LoL, one could toggle Rot's AoE on and off to see if an enemy character falls within Rot's AoE. This AoE is shown by a circle outlined in white. While I feel this is a great tool in LoL, the game loses some of the feel from DoTA. DoTA has always been very challenging because you have to memorize the range of skills at different levels and then use those skills based on your assumption/memorization of the range for a particular skill. LoL's addition of a hotkey to toggle a skill's AoE on and off makes the game less intuitive and more organized. I find that kills in LoL are less satisfying to me because you just toggle your AoE marker and if an enemy hero falls within the AoE, you cast your spell. If the enemy hero is outside the AoE, you obviously don't use your spell.

There is a lot more to comment on but I haven't seen/played enough of LoL to give a great review. Also, I'm sure the mathematics behind HoN and LoL are very different in computing damage after armor bonuses, and other tidbits that make or break a game. You should really try out both to see for yourself. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership