Interesting...
  • mungomungo October 2008
    If I am going to have to pay more taxes then other people, and have a greater responsibility towards this coutry, why shouldn't I receive more votes?

You want to think about America as a business? That's exactly what I'm doing here. I have no quarrels with paying more taxes if my vote counts for more than those who don't pay taxes at all. With power comes responsibility, and the reverse is absolutely true. In business, the more you invest in a corporation the more you you control. If Obama is elected and my taxes are increased, what's in it for me? I say my vote should count as 3.
  • NunesNunes October 2008
    QUOTE (mungo @ Oct 16 2008, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If I am going to have to pay more taxes then other people, and have a greater responsibility towards this coutry, why shouldn't I receive more votes?

You want to think about America as a business? That's exactly what I'm doing here. I have no quarrels with paying more taxes if my vote counts for more than those who don't pay taxes at all. With power comes responsibility, and the reverse is absolutely true. In business, the more you invest in a corporation the more you you control. If Obama is elected and my taxes are increased, what's in it for me? I say my vote should count as 3.

No I don't want to think of it as a business. I want to think of it as a functional society full of responsible patriots. Poor people don't deserve to vote? Really? You want the people paying WAY more than you (like thousands of times more) getting thousands of times more votes than you?

Damn right I think it's ridiculous, but I get what you're saying. I'm just saying that IS a plutocratic society instead of a plutocracy masquarading as a democracy.

What's in it for you when Obama is elected and your taxes go up? (which they won't unless you make >500k/year...)

The HUGE number of poor people don't find you and burn your house down before raping your family and peeing on your pets.

/You also get to use the roads, schools, police, military, firefighters, etc.
    //You also have more to lose if those things go away...
    ///What do I care if my little dinky rented apartment with a bed, tv, and couch in it burns to the ground?
    ////Probably less than the guy who's house is worth 750k and is full of their hard earned shit.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 16 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The HUGE number of poor people don't find you and burn your house down before raping your family and peeing on your pets.

/You also get to use the roads, schools, police, military, firefighters, etc.
    //You also have more to lose if those things go away...
    ///What do I care if my little dinky rented apartment with a bed, tv, and couch in it burns to the ground?
    ////Probably less than the guy who's house is worth 750k and is full of their hard earned shit.

Straight out of left field. My point wasn't "I make more money, I should have more control." My point was that if you're going to DEMAND a higher percentage of my hard earned income that I should be rewarded. You're deliberately taking a portion more from me than others, thus I believe I have earned more power.

And you may not want to think about America as a business, but you have before. All your posts about deficits, debts, and responsibilities of the federal government are exactly how businesses are run.

And just to make things clear: I personally will benefit from Obama (on a tax-basis) but I'm still not voting for him.
  • GovernorGovernor October 2008
    I think it is far more reasonable and beneficial to have proportional tax system. It solves your problem and doesn't involve fucking with votes. I definitely think your idea is awful, but for entirely different reasons than Andrew. The government fucks up everything it touches. Voting is one of the last truly fair things we still do: everyone gets one vote. Don't get the government involved in vote distribution, or it will be fucked to no end.
    I never thought my idea was good, I just think it's an appropriate response for unjust taxation.
  • EvestayEvestay October 2008
    should people on welfare be allowed to vote, wont they just vote themselves more benefits? should people with low IQs be allowed to vote, should there be a voter test?
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Oct 16 2008, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    should people on welfare be allowed to vote, wont they just vote themselves more benefits? should people with low IQs be allowed to vote, should there be a voter test?

While I totally understand what you're saying with the welfare thing, the solution is getting rid of welfare, not making those that are on it second-class citizens. Fundamentally, I'm opposed to stripping the right to vote from anyone.

The IQ test is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't take a high IQ to make good decisions, and there aren't enough people with severe mental deficiencies to actually influence elections in a measurable way.
    Jesus. Let's just ship everybody who's unemployed to Iraq and make them fight in the war...

/oh wait...

"You're deliberately taking a portion more from me than others, thus I believe I have earned more power. "
    Well you're wrong?
    Democracy - everybody has equal access to power. period.
    Plutocracy - access to power is proportional to monetary influence.

"My point wasn't "I make more money, I should have more control." My point was that if you're going to DEMAND a higher percentage of my hard earned income that I should be rewarded."
    Well if you make more money you will get taxed more. Welcome to a reasonable society. Therefore if you're going to say that power should be determined by the amount you are forced to give, then you ARE saying that by making more money you should have access to more power. Until of course all the rich people who have 3 votes vote in people who eliminate their taxes completely while taxing people making <100k a year into extinction or rebellion. So no, I don't think that's "Straight out of left field."

Taking away welfare would be a death sentence to thousands of people.
    Welfare is not a huge problem

Corporate welfare is though. And we don't suggest disenfranchising, or even investigating the CEO's who have been stealing from us for 20 years...

great priorities guys.

/I'm seriously ashamed that this thread even exists. It's possibly the most upsetting view of the poor I've seen on these boards.
    //Who's fighting our war again guys?
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Taking away welfare would be a death sentence to thousands of people.
    Welfare is not a huge problem

Corporate welfare is though. And we don't suggest disenfranchising, or even investigating the CEO's who have been stealing from us for 20 years...

great priorities guys.

/I'm seriously ashamed that this thread even exists. It's possibly the most upsetting view of the poor I've seen on these boards.
    //Who's fighting our war again guys?

I know getting rid of welfare would hurt thousands of people. It's not that I don't think welfare is an institution that helps lots of people, it's that I don't think it's the federal government's job, responsibility, or right to feed the poor with my money. If I want to help someone get on their feet, I'll do it. If I don't, then I won't. Following the latter path might make me a horrible person, but as a free man it is my right to do as I wish with my life and property.
    There sure are better things to spend your tax dollars on than your fellow Americans? Should all of your tax money go right back to you? Since the government's so bad at spending money why don't we just let everybody skip out on paying taxes for a few years and let them help the poor themselves. I know you hate taxes and the fact that the government's inefficient. But you've been advocating a unilateral stance on the federal government. And ANY unilateral stance is bad. (unilaterally)

We could hash out on EVERY issue how much the federal gov't sucks at something and how it would be better run at the state or local level, sure. But when you say:
    While I totally understand what you're saying with the welfare thing, the solution is getting rid of welfare, not making those that are on it second-class citizens. Fundamentally, I'm opposed to stripping the right to vote from anyone.

You're advocating a position that would result in the deaths of thousands of your fellow citizens as an alternative to disenfranchisement, instead of a position that would you know... allow them to continue to live AND vote.

The feds are actually pretty good at welfare by the way. It's 2.7% of our GDP. Or about half the cost of the bailout only with miles of red tape instead of a blank check. It includes:
    "Medicaid
    food stamps
    family support assistance (AFDC)
    supplemental security income (SSI)
    child nutrition programs
    refundable portions of earned income tax credits (EITC and HITC) and child tax credit
    welfare contingency fund
    child care entitlement to States
    temporary assistance to needy families
    foster care and adoption assistance
    State children’s health insurance and veterans pensions."

And all you guys can do is disparage it as a wasteful project that encourages people to stay poor and lazy and not get a job and have kids to make more money.

/disgraceful IMO.
    //Haters.
  • PheylanPheylan October 2008
    The way I see, the monetary gap between rich and poor does have a way to equalize the tax percentage difference. You have more money, you get taxed more. However, you do have to more power in the political arena. You have the funds to donate to your political party, ensuring your views are represented. You have the funds to campaign for office yourself, as opposed to the single mother working at Walmart just trying to feed her kids. You have the funds to join groups that will work for your views, such as PETA or the NRA. Is it fair? No, but it does work. I hate differing percentages of taxes as much as anyone, but realistically its the best way to do things. They only other thing I can think of, which in the long term isn't really feasible either, is no taxes except a sales tax. Works the same way, the more money you make, the more you spend and buy, the more you pay in taxes.

That being said, I hate taxes as an issue. We don't need to lower taxes. They are fine as they are. I'm not voting for anyone because they say they are lowering taxes; the money amount that I see as a difference isn't going to be enough that I care anyway, and my life won't be that different if I do or don't get it. Our deficient isn't in a state where we can lower taxes. Hell, I'd even be fine with raising taxes a few points, again, enough that I wouldn't notice the difference. What's a few nights out that I don't go this year. What I do care about is a tax plan that has the opportunity to hurt businesses, and between the two, Obama's is much more potentially damaging because of the effects on small business.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Oct 17 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What's a few nights out that I don't go this year. What I do care about is a tax plan that has the opportunity to hurt businesses, and between the two, Obama's is much more potentially damaging because of the effects on small business.

ya lost me right at the end.

Small businesses are exempt from ANY capital gains tax, which is what stifles growth of a small business under Obama's plan, but not McCain's.
    98% of small businesses make less than 250,000 dollars a year.
    Nobody under either plan making less than 250k will see a tax increase.

try again.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There sure are better things to spend your tax dollars on than your fellow Americans? Should all of your tax money go right back to you? Since the government's so bad at spending money why don't we just let everybody skip out on paying taxes for a few years and let them help the poor themselves. I know you hate taxes and the fact that the government's inefficient. But you've been advocating a unilateral stance on the federal government. And ANY unilateral stance is bad. (unilaterally)

We could hash out on EVERY issue how much the federal gov't sucks at something and how it would be better run at the state or local level, sure. But when you say:

You're advocating a position that would result in the deaths of thousands of your fellow citizens as an alternative to disenfranchisement, instead of a position that would you know... allow them to continue to live AND vote.

The feds are actually pretty good at welfare by the way. It's 2.7% of our GDP. Or about half the cost of the bailout only with miles of red tape instead of a blank check. It includes:
    "Medicaid
    food stamps
    family support assistance (AFDC)
    supplemental security income (SSI)
    child nutrition programs
    refundable portions of earned income tax credits (EITC and HITC) and child tax credit
    welfare contingency fund
    child care entitlement to States
    temporary assistance to needy families
    foster care and adoption assistance
    State children’s health insurance and veterans pensions."

And all you guys can do is disparage it as a wasteful project that encourages people to stay poor and lazy and not get a job and have kids to make more money.

/disgraceful IMO.
    //Haters.

When we talk about race, gender, and sexual preference, a unilateral stance of equality is wonderful. When we talk about a unilateral stance of equality in relation to income, HOLD THE FUCK UP. The rich are greedy fuckers that won't accept their god-given duty to help the poor, and the poor are saints who are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Let's forsake the very principles of a truly free society and help those poor angels out. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a disgraceful cunt.

I don't hold my ideals because they benefit anyone in particular. I didn't come up with them because they would make people richer or poorer. I don't support libertarians because I think they'd make everyone in the country happy, healthy, and fun-loving. Quite the opposite. I support a libertarian ideal because it's the only fair ideal out there. I know I'm in a minority these days, but I value freedom and equality more than standard of living, and I'm an opponent of any policy that conflicts with either.

I don't have any allusions about the good the welfare program does for people across the country. I can also totally see why so many people think it isn't a waste of their money to support it. On a personal level, I think it is a great cause and a worthy use of a portion of my income. But that's my choice, and it should remain that way. But far more than I support helping thousands of people in need, I support guaranteeing the equality of all 300 million Americans.
    Define equality.
    /our world is too complicated to paint with your brush, IMO.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    I believe it means that everyone is treated the same.
    Well that's vague.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well that's vague.

How so?

QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    /our world is too complicated to paint with your brush, IMO.

I hate that. It's the same stupid argument that people said about Ron Paul's proposed fixes to our monetary system. The problems we face are not complicated. The solutions to those problems are not complicated. What complicates shit is when people start trying to identify problems and solutions without a specific or obtainable ideal in mind. If you're ideal is "help make the lives better of as many people as possible", then you're problems and solutions will be infinitely complex and therefore infinitely unobtainable.
    Pretty simple to follow though. If person A receives x and y, but gives z, the person B receives x and y, but gives z.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ya lost me right at the end.

Small businesses are exempt from ANY capital gains tax, which is what stifles growth of a small business under Obama's plan, but not McCain's.
    98% of small businesses make less than 250,000 dollars a year.
    Nobody under either plan making less than 250k will see a tax increase.

try again.

1. could I start my own entrepreneur business to invest in the stock market without having to pay capital gains taxes? like how hard would it be to incorporate myself in order to not have to pay capital gains taxes like i do now.
    2. a lot of so-called small businesses are things people do on the side- like yard work on the weekends, like shipping out shit at night for ebay. those are personal ventures that dont really create job growth. now think of small businesses that operate with employees. if you have 10 employees (pay them 20k each = 200k) and you have operating costs (50k to buy computers, buy materials, etc) then you need to earn more than 250k each year to pay for all that. those small businesses are usually taxed under the owner's personal income tax (at least thats how my stepdads co works) and so raising taxes for people making over 250k fucking screws business growth.
    actually i want to amend that. you can deduct for business expenses. so if your company's profit is 150k (after deductions for expenses) and you pay yourself 50k then those are added and so 200k is on your individual tax return.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 17 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I hate that. It's the same stupid argument that people said about Ron Paul's proposed fixes to our monetary system. The problems we face are not complicated. The solutions to those problems are not complicated. What complicates shit is when people start trying to identify problems and solutions without a specific or obtainable ideal in mind. If you're ideal is "help make the lives better of as many people as possible", then you're problems and solutions will be infinitely complex and therefore infinitely unobtainable.

Maybe it's not a stupid argument?

Apply one ideal (Less federal government for example) to a couple problems really quickly.

Printing money
    and
    Education

If you are going to tell me that you can approach those two subjects with the same ideals then I'm going to assume that your opinion on government is more or less worthless until after this election. And if you admit that you can't then your whole "ideal" based government falls apart.

What complicates shit is we have 300 MILLION people living in the second biggest country in the world, producing very very little besides debt, and owing hundreds of billions of dollars to foreign governments.

But go ahead and tell me how you can apply a single specific obtainable ideal to problems. I'm curious.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Oct 17 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Pretty simple to follow though. If person A receives x and y, but gives z, the person B receives x and y, but gives z.

Person A makes 6 times what person B makes for doing 3 times less work. Person A has more to lose if x and y are not provided to him or her. If person B gives z and z is the same as Person A they can't afford their rental payments. Person B owns 2 homes.

Equality only works if we all start with equal footing. Think of it like a soapbox derby race.

Person B only gets to start after Person A makes it halfway down the course. Person A and Person B have to follow all the same rules about size of the car and shit like that. They are both on the same course. Person B can never win. There are rules in place to make sure that if your car crashes you get to race again though! But since crashing would only affect Person A, person B doesn't benefit from that rule, even when applied fairly. And the winner of the race gets to make the rules for the next race.

No need to equalize that... no siree.

Person B is poor now, Person A is rich now.

/god I'm sick of making this argument over and over but it never gets addressed.

@ eve:
    If you don't employ anybody you are called a microbusiness and don't have the same exemptions as small business
    again. Nice try.
    "those small businesses are usually taxed under the owner's personal income tax (at least thats how my stepdads co works) and so raising taxes for people making over 250k fucking screws business growth."
    a. your stepdad needs a better accountant
    b. learn the difference between income and taxable income
    c. businesses employing less than 10 people are the number 1 provider of jobs in the country. businesses hiring between 10 and 20 coming in second and businesses between 20 and 50 employees at 3rd. So well... you're wrong.
    I was just explaining equality. It doesn't mean that it is a great policy. But on the same note, if you worked for 20 years and saved your money to become rich, is it fair to take away from you to give to the person who took out three mortgages and maxed out his/her credit cards so they can live the way you do while refusing to save any income?
  • PheylanPheylan October 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Equality only works if we all start with equal footing. Think of it like a soapbox derby race.

Person B only gets to start after Person A makes it halfway down the course. Person A and Person B have to follow all the same rules about size of the car and shit like that. They are both on the same course. Person B can never win. There are rules in place to make sure that if your car crashes you get to race again though! But since crashing would only affect Person A, person B doesn't benefit from that rule, even when applied fairly. And the winner of the race gets to make the rules for the next race.

No need to equalize that... no siree.

Person B is poor now, Person A is rich now.

The thing is, that's not a realistic situation. If it was, then there would be no new rich people. You wouldn't have your Bill Gates, Michael Jordans, Elton Johns, the guy that decided that Pet Rocks would make him rich. You're stuck on the fact that only rich people get rich. You want to equalize everything, fine. Redistribute all the money so everyone has the same amount. While we're at it, let's lobotomize everyone down to the same intelligence. Cut off their feet so they can't be the best at sports. Make everyone drink acid so that no one can get record deals. Hell, that will do wonders for society, but at least everyone will be equal in terms of becoming successful.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The car is a misleading example because it doesn't take into account any of the natural abilities of the individuals. A tug of war is probably a better example:

Person B is pulling against Person A and the five guys that Person A is paying to help. Person B is naturally bigger and stronger than Person A, but not strong enough to win against six guys. In this tug-of-war society though, strength and size do a lot of good for ten more people, so those ten people help Person B defeat Person A.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Oct 17 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I was just explaining equality. It doesn't mean that it is a great policy. But on the same note, if you worked for 20 years and saved your money to become rich, is it fair to take away from you to give to the person who took out three mortgages and maxed out his/her credit cards so they can live the way you do while refusing to save any income?

That's an imaginary person.
    A non-imaginary example would be taking money out of MY pocket to let hudge-fund managers continue going on monthly retreats.

The thing is, that's not a realistic situation. If it was, then there would be no new rich people. You wouldn't have your Bill Gates, Michael Jordans, Elton Johns, the guy that decided that Pet Rocks would make him rich. You're stuck on the fact that only rich people get rich. You want to equalize everything, fine. Redistribute all the money so everyone has the same amount. While we're at it, let's lobotomize everyone down to the same intelligence. Cut off their feet so they can't be the best at sports. Make everyone drink acid so that no one can get record deals. Hell, that will do wonders for society, but at least everyone will be equal in terms of becoming successful.

not even worth replying to.
    but here goes:
    once again: L-Curve.

You Can't Argue Math. Period. You're worldview is wrong, get over it.

/Sure Person B could attach a rocket booster to his whip and have a fighting chance, but if he loses he just wasted his life savings on a rocket pack. Person A can buy a rocket pack and win, or not, and not care either way.

//COMMUNISM OOGA BOOGA!
    ///it's a new millenium guy.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That's an imaginary person.
    A non-imaginary example would be taking money out of MY pocket to let hudge-fund managers continue going on monthly retreats.

not even worth replying to.
    but here goes:
    once again: L-Curve.

You Can't Argue Math. Period. You're worldview is wrong, get over it.

/Sure Person B could attach a rocket booster to his whip and have a fighting chance, but if he loses he just wasted his life savings on a rocket pack. Person A can buy a rocket pack and win, or not, and not care either way.

//COMMUNISM OOGA BOOGA!
    ///it's a new millenium guy.

Christ. Trying to have a logical discussion with you these days is like trying to have a logical discussion via digg comments.

You start every post with a reasonable sentence or two, then throw in some pseudo-bullets, then start making "/" appendices as if you weren't making a series of points a moment before, and finally end it by mocking the point you're refuting with barely legible babble. I think your posting habits have digressed in recent months...

Back to your post:

a) So...you're saying that the federal government enables rich people to take money from the poor to get richer?

image/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Person A has the advantage. No one is arguing he doesn't. Our conflict comes when you say that he shouldn't have that advantage, and we say there's no reason he shouldn't other than a doomed populist pursuit.

c) What's wrong with mentioning communism. You've given us no reason to believe that's not what you support.

d) New millennium, same story. Human beings haven't really changed in 100,000 years, why do you think we're suddenly going to do so now that it's 2008?
    1) yeah I am. And I think eliminating the federal government from the equation would only make it worse at this point. The precedent is set already. We need our government to start serving the people instead of the corporations and THEN it can start to phase itself out. Phasing it out now would be worse than leaving Iraq a month after we got there.
    2) I've never said he shouldn't have the advantage. The argument is about whether or not there can be a concept of equality when the advantage is as stark as it is.
    3) You're concept of communism is well... wrong. And using the word to incite fear of change is irresponsible. We're fine with being socialists when it comes to things like firemen and policemen and a military. Those are services we all use. But when .1% of our country have 99.9% of the wealth in the country and that continues to get worse, then soon you'll just have a stagnant economy and that's bad for everyone. If people were as afraid of the word Plutocratic as they are of Communist then we wouldn't have the current economic crisis to deal with. There's a middle ground and we're so far away from communism that ANY shift to the left is perceived as socialist nonsense. Any attempt to degrade the RIDICULOUS advantages provide to the people with all the opportunity is seen as completely unfair.
    4) it's not about PEOPLE changing. It's about the world we live in being different and posing different problems and being the direct result of the entire fucking history of humanity culminating in now.

The reason it's all bullet points is because I have to keep responding to the same points with different information. I've conceded that the federal government sucks and is wasteful. Why the hell are you still bringing it up. There are other things in play here in case you haven't noticed. Also notice that there are no slashes in this post. My posting style has changed as a result of the types of discussions we're having. I could go into tremendous detail about a single point and you'd just come back and say some shit about the federal government and give yourself a high five. I am shotgun replying to 4 people at once who are all repeating the same things over and over about how their lives would rock if poor people didn't suck so much.

edit: I've been pissed since this:
    "should people on welfare be allowed to vote, wont they just vote themselves more benefits? should people with low IQs be allowed to vote, should there be a voter test?"
    and you're ensuing comment that validates his idea that it's bad when people on welfare get to vote in their own interest. While ignoring that people who are wealthy DO vote in their best interests and can hire lobbyists to get their representatives to actually represent them.
    I completely disagreed with his point! I've disagreed with all of the posts that have had any mention of voting restrictions.

I know and accept that all people, regardless of their income level, are self-interested. The principle I promote is that of an attempt to achieve sustainability given the nature of human beings as opposed to making concessions in an attempt to circumvent them.

Why is my understanding of communism wrong? Please, enlighten me.

I totally agree that using the word to insight fear is irresponsible. Not all of us are fine with being socialist when it comes to things like firemen, policemen, and military. I agree that in the current state of things in this country, the rich have a leg up.

Also, one of the reasons you may be getting frustrated "repeating the same points" is probably the reason for your digressing verbiage: You are debating a bunch of people that, while similar in opinion about welfare, are fundamentally different in the reason for their opinion. So when you reply to pheylan saying one thing, you're not necessarily (in fact, you probably aren't) replying at all to my point. Actually, in many cases, it's your refuting argument directed at someone else that gets me to continue to pursue my point. Then when you attempt to refute me, you're not necessarily responding to pheylan's rationale, so it encourages him to prod you further. Stretch this out across a bunch of threads, and I can see why your "shotgun" responses are getting you frustrated.
    Communism is: A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.

Not: A temporary adjustment of our tax policy that results in fewer people going bankrupt over the next 4 years.

The biggest step towards communism this country has ever seen happened a earlier this month. Obama's tax policy is a slight shuffle to the left from the extreme position on the economy we've been practicing since Clinton left office. It's a shuffle slightly to Clinton's right actually. By characterizing Obama's tax policy as communist you (or rather anybody who does so) is/are denoting a lack of understanding about communism in the first place.

And yeah. Nail on the head for why it's frustrating. I'll start taking deep breaths before I post from now on.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Communism is: A theoretical economic system characterized by the collective ownership of property and by the organization of labor for the common advantage of all members.

Not: A temporary adjustment of our tax policy that results in fewer people going bankrupt over the next 4 years.

The biggest step towards communism this country has ever seen happened a earlier this month. Obama's tax policy is a slight shuffle to the left from the extreme position on the economy we've been practicing since Clinton left office. It's a shuffle slightly to Clinton's right actually. By characterizing Obama's tax policy as communist you (or rather anybody who does so) is/are denoting a lack of understanding about communism in the first place.

And yeah. Nail on the head for why it's frustrating. I'll start taking deep breaths before I post from now on.

I do not, nor have I ever, said that Obama's policy was communistic. I've never even alluded to it.

And to clarify, I don't believe Obama's tax plan is to the right of Clinton's. Clinton's "new democrats" are generally considered to be the conservative branch of the party.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Oct 17 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I do not, nor have I ever, said that Obama's policy was communistic. I've never even alluded to it.

And to clarify, I don't believe Obama's tax plan is to the right of Clinton's. Clinton's "new democrats" are generally considered to be the conservative branch of the party.

corporate income and capital gains taxes were higher under Clinton than they would be under Obama. I'm not sure I follow you're measurement of right/left. If wealth re-distribution is left, then Clinton engaged in it more than Obama is suggesting he would.

Don't feel too upset. The communism speil was a response to your question, which was a result of my inflammatory comment, which was a result of Pheylan's post, which was, in fact, suggesting that Obama's policies were communistic. Didn't mean to lump you in with it though, and I did a poor job of splitting the post into two distinct responses.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 17 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    @ eve:
    If you don't employ anybody you are called a microbusiness and don't have the same exemptions as small business
    again. Nice try.
    "those small businesses are usually taxed under the owner's personal income tax (at least thats how my stepdads co works) and so raising taxes for people making over 250k fucking screws business growth."
    a. your stepdad needs a better accountant
    b. learn the difference between income and taxable income
    c. businesses employing less than 10 people are the number 1 provider of jobs in the country. businesses hiring between 10 and 20 coming in second and businesses between 20 and 50 employees at 3rd. So well... you're wrong.

That was pretty rude of you man =\
    a. he has a great accountant, but when you are a small business it is hard to predict how much money you are going to make. when you become a C corp or S corp you must pay yourself a salary and in such a case you need to be able to predict what you can pay yourself. thus, it makes sense to file under your personal income tax when your business cash flow might vary from year to year...ie pay yourself 10,000 dollars once year because you are struggling and trying to put every cent you can into the company and then having a good year and paying yourself more. if you were giving yourself a salary of 30,000 that would take 20,000 away from the business that might be necessary to keep it alive.
    b. i made an amended post conceding that fact...that you can deduct for business expenses.
    c. what am i wrong about? i was just giving an example of a business that might need to earn 250k. there are plenty of 1-10 employee small businesses that earn that much.
    and yeah i didnt know about that microbusiness thing.
    Andrew, you're very smart, that much is evident, but your lack of understanding other people's rationale will hinder your own personal growth. Actually, it's not the lack of understanding as much as it is the non-existant attempt to understand who you're talking to. Your posts have gotten ridiculous, as Court has said, and are becoming rather painful to read.

There's way too much to respond here, but I want to point out a few things:

1) I'm not going to use a) citation because when you get to your second point a image/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> comes up.
    2) Equality, by definition, has nothing to do with financial, economical, or social status; but rather liberties given to all. There's no stipulation that life is fair when talking about equality. If we were all born with the same economic status, we would have no self-interest. Given that humans are naturally greedy, this would halt production on every level.
    3) Andrew, Refrain from insulting people. As naive as your posts seem given how well written they are, most people show you a decent level of respect. If you're getting frustrated from a thread to the point where you insult intelligence, parents, or anything, don't bother reading or responding.
    4) A theoretical knowledge of the economy doesn't get you far unless you plan on teaching. All of your policies, as well intentioned as they may be (no one wants to see this economy and by extension, country fail), don't fit the mold that we have shaped over the past couple hundred years. The sooner we can all accept that (myself included), the sooner we can move towards more meaningful, less retarded flame threads that were intended to spark discussion, nothing more.
    I think that people's liberties are now a function of their monetary value, and this thread's very subject is an excellent example of how deeply that perception has permeated our society. If equality is a function of a persons liberties, then it too must be a function of that persons wealth, especially when wealth is distributed so inconsistently with how hard a person works. Nobody is suggesting that we give everybody equal income with no regards to improvement, but right now there's no motivation to move up in life because you'll just go from 25k per year to 30 k per year and still struggle, while your bosses are pulling in 6 figures for doing.... what? Then you have people making BILLIONS for driving companies into the ground. Those people have access to more services, more goods, and a more direct access to representation in government than I ever will. THAT undermines liberty. This is a result of the mold we've formed in this country and it's about time we broke it and tried something SLIGHTLY different. Nobody is proposing communism or anything like it. The republicans (and democrats) have been working towards a society where money is power, and money is freedom. Then they "distribute the wealth" in one direction and it's called the free market. When a guy comes along and says maybe we need to "distribute the wealth" the other way a little bit suddenly it's a direct assault on our freedom.

And I'm done talking about this.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 20 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think that people's liberties are now a function of their monetary value, and this thread's very subject is an excellent example of how deeply that perception has permeated our society. If equality is a function of a persons liberties, then it too must be a function of that persons wealth, especially when wealth is distributed so inconsistently with how hard a person works. Nobody is suggesting that we give everybody equal income with no regards to improvement, but right now there's no motivation to move up in life because you'll just go from 25k per year to 30 k per year and still struggle, while your bosses are pulling in 6 figures for doing.... what? Then you have people making BILLIONS for driving companies into the ground. Those people have access to more services, more goods, and a more direct access to representation in government than I ever will. THAT undermines liberty. This is a result of the mold we've formed in this country and it's about time we broke it and tried something SLIGHTLY different. Nobody is proposing communism or anything like it. The republicans (and democrats) have been working towards a society where money is power, and money is freedom. Then they "distribute the wealth" in one direction and it's called the free market. When a guy comes along and says maybe we need to "distribute the wealth" the other way a little bit suddenly it's a direct assault on our freedom.

And I'm done talking about this.

Well, if you're done, feel free not to respond, but I do have to point out one thing.

I think you're making a very broad, and ultimately incorrect, generalization that there is no motivation to move up in life. First of all, we've already given examples of people in the past few years that have gone from "nobodies" to multi-billionaires by the grace of hard work and innovation. And that's not considering the millions of new businesses that start up all the time. You look at a place like Lancaster and you see new businesses starting all of the time, and our economy is suppose to be in the shitter.

Your generalization is actually kind of offensive in my opinion. For one, it is for me, personally not true. I've worked my butt off, and I've gotten pretty far pretty fast. I spent more than 10 years learning how to do what I do, and I have an awesome job that I absolutely love sitting down to every morning. And the pay is decent -- certainly enough for me to get by. This and I just graduated with a bachelor degree 5 months ago. I did/am paying for that college all by myself, and I don't resent my mother or society for that at all. I didn't go to college for anyone else but myself, so I don't really know why I'd expect them to pay for it. I have never felt like the system was holding me back, and I wouldn't expect anything more than I have for the work I've done.

Your generalization isn't true for my mother, either. She's worked her whole life and raised three kids on her own. When she lost her job because she had to undergo extensive surgery for late-stage breast cancer, she took on odd jobs from home to get by. We nearly lost our house and pretty much everything we had, but she got us by. It meant that I spent a lot of time after school, on the weekends, and throughout the summer months helping around the house starting from a very young age. It meant all of us kids had to learn to cook and clean. It meant my brother and I would mow lawns, shovel snow, and rake leaves for pay until we graduated high school. It meant all of us kids got jobs the second we turned 12. And you know what? We don't resent anyone for it. It wasn't society's fault we were in the situation we were in, and it wasn't society's responsibility to bail us out. We did what we had to do, and all of us have been extremely successful. My brother got his MBA and does work with network and systems security, my sister is happily married and teaching in San Francisco, and as I mentioned before, I am doing well myself. And best of all, my mother has her finances under control, is doing a job that she likes, and is even fixing up the house. Her gardens have never looked better, and I don't think I've ever seen her happier. And she may even get to retire with the little money she's socked away and the help of my brother, sister, and I.

Your generalization simply isn't true. It isn't true for the people I just mentioned. It isn't true for my two bosses -- a husband and wife with a 4 year old daughter who just started this business and so far, despite only taking tiny salaries to get by, are having extreme success and are experiencing rapid growth. It isn't true for my boss in high school who has made quite a good deal of money with his own Italian Market starting in south Philadelphia and is a proud parent of two very successful kids. It isn't true for the dozens of new business owners throughout the city of Lancaster who are clearly motivated to do what they do. It isn't true for the hundreds of middle-aged parents that were scattered throughout my classes at Millersville and Delco who were motivated to improve their lives.

People are just as motivated as they ever were to succeed, and the success stories out there are just as numerous as they used to be. You just need to take the liberal cloak off for a second to see it.
    Today in the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122427909893645867.html
    Scranton, Pa.

One morning earlier this month, a black bear ambled into town and climbed a tree across from Charles Sumner Elementary School.

Children arriving at school that morning watched as a state wildlife officer scrambled up a ladder and shot some tranquilizers into the bear, which plopped onto the pavement. Before carting off the snoozing giant, the officer gave students a talk on bears and Mother Nature.

The presidential campaign season has brought extraordinary attention to a place better known for its hardships than its charms (and perhaps best known as the setting of NBC's comedy, "The Office"). It has received visits this year from all four candidates on the national tickets, including appearances this week by both vice-presidential candidates. In an election that could turn on the working-class vote, "Scranton has become the poster boy for small-town blue-collar America," says Austin J. Burke, president of the Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce.

View Full Image

Robert Caplin for The Wall Street Journal
    County Courthouse
    This month, "Saturday Night Live" parodied the tendency of Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden to invoke his hard-scrabble childhood here. "Don't be telling me that I'm part of the Washington elite, because I come from the absolute worst place on Earth: Scranton, Pennsylvania," said SNL's Jason Sudeikis, playing Sen. Biden. "It's a hellhole! It is just an awful, awful sad place filled with sad, desperate people with no ambition!"

But life in Scranton is more nuanced than the cliché of a once-powerful industrial center in decline. The population here is growing for the first time in 60 years, following a decades-long exodus that halved the city to barely 70,000 people. Its architecturally distinctive downtown, long vacant, is undergoing a dramatic renovation. And tourism is spiking, thanks in no small part to "The Office," NBC's hit show about the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin, a fictional New York-based paper company. The century-old "Electric City" sign -- dark for decades -- shines again above the town square.

There's a distinctly white-collar movement behind Scranton's comeback. A return of college-educated natives from cities like New York and Philadelphia is fueling a population rise and a civic makeover. Bringing them back are the very small-town qualities many once wanted to escape: the likelihood of meeting acquaintances and relatives on the streets. The embrace here of modest ambition. The deeply held belief -- only heightened by ridicule from the outside world -- that Scranton matters.

Of course, a long-term downturn in the U.S. economy could thwart Scranton's revival, making employment here harder yet to come by. But hard times also tend to increase the appeal of small-town life, in part because of costs. Scranton sits only two hours from Philadelphia and New York City, yet has a median house value of less than $120,000, about $20,000 below the national average.

"I didn't appreciate what Scranton had to offer until I left," says Michele Dempsey, a 36-year-old University of Pennsylvania-trained architect who worked for nationally renowned firms in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., before coming home five years ago.

Children mostly walk or ride their bikes to school, often to the same ones their parents and grandparents attended. In a city that averages barely two murders a year, Scranton parents don't worry much about violence, or understand how anyone could live in a city like Chicago, for example, where more than 20 children were shot to death during each of the last two school years.

"Here's the kind of place it is," says Christopher A. Doherty, a 50-year-old native who isn't without a basis of comparison. For eight years he worked as a technology executive in New York, commuting from Greenwich, Conn. Now he is Scranton's mayor. "My best friends are people I've known since first grade. There are people here who still know me as Duke Doherty's little brother."

Blue-collar communities and small towns have long been perceived as places to flee. In books as old as "Winesburg, Ohio" and films as recent as "Gone, Baby, Gone," blue-collar culture is portrayed as mean, miserable and small-minded. Merely getting away from such a place has been seen as upward mobility.

For six decades Scranton lost an average of a thousand residents a year, many bound for college. The return of even a fraction of them -- along with their families -- could confer substantial economic benefits. "There was a diaspora of Scrantonians, and now we're inviting them back," says the Chamber's Mr. Burke. The group has a campaign called Rediscovering Scranton, which includes a Web site with testimonials from returning natives.

A population rise of about 3,000 in the last two years, to about 75,000, has given hope that the long exodus is over. School enrollment is up to 10,000 from 8,500 seven years ago. And downtown is buzzing with the sounds of construction. A Radisson hotel is in the city's old train station. Other recently vacant buildings now house advertising agencies, architectural firms and financial offices, many started by professionals who have returned.

Precisely how many natives have heeded the call isn't known. But many returnees seem to orbit in a large circle of other returnees, as the case of Ms. Dempsey illustrates. At her firm she employs an architect who moved back to Scranton from New York City, and a designer who moved here with his boyfriend -- a Scranton native who has started a wine bar in town. One of Ms. Dempsey's siblings, a fashion designer, quit a job at Burberry Group PLC in New York City to join a Scranton-area technology firm, while a brother-in-law left a Wall Street investment bank for a Scranton software startup.

Economic opportunities -- the bait that lured away so many of Scranton's young -- remain limited, however. In a county with an unemployment rate of 6.4% -- compared with a national average of 6.1% -- professionals often start their own businesses to survive.

View Full Image

Scranton Times Tribune
    The restored Electric City sign.
    Once influential, Scranton was the 38th most-populous American city in 1900, with its coal and iron proceeds putting it near the top in per-capita income. It erected an array of architecturally magnificent buildings, and introduced the nation's first electric trolley, giving rise to its "Electric City" nickname.

But calamity struck again and again: floods, mining accidents, factory and mine closings, the rejection of coal in favor of oil and natural gas. While the rest of America prospered after World War II, fast-shrinking Scranton became known as the armpit of Pennsylvania, a designation it has never entirely shaken. Its median household income remains nearly $7,000 below the national average.

But Scranton has never lacked publicity, and has learned to laugh at itself. As the fictional setting of NBC's "The Office" -- featuring characters lacking either common sense or ambition -- Scranton has become such a tourism magnet that this month NBC is opening a Dunder Mifflin store in the Steamtown mall here.

The very qualities that once gave Scrantonians an inferiority complex are now being touted as virtues, not least by the presidential campaigns. The town won mention at both parties' national conventions, and experts believe that Sen. Biden's Scranton roots helped win the nomination as Barack Obama's running mate. Some pundits are calling Scranton the new Peoria -- a symbol of middle-class America.

Associated Press
    Mike Munchak at the NFL Hall of Fame.
    As a swing town in a swing state, Scranton could help determine the outcome of the election. The electorate here is more than 90% white, heavily Catholic and traditionally Democratic, although it leans to the right on social issues. Four of eight elected judges here in Lackawanna County are Republican, as is the district attorney.

Outside Scranton, the return of some natives has spawned disbelief. When James Peters, 37, resigned as a principal of a venture-capital firm just outside New York City to take a Scranton-area corporate position, "I don't think there was a person who didn't think I was crazy," says Mr. Peters, whose late grandfather, "Smokey" Joe Peters, is still remembered hereabouts as a gas-station proprietor.

A similar disbelief can arise from a Scrantonian's success, as when Mike Munchak was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001. Never mind that he'd won nine trips to the Pro Bowl as a Houston Oilers offensive lineman -- he was from Scranton. "I've been envisioning," his acceptance speech began, "that someone from NFL security is going to show up and say, 'Hey, Munchak. Get off that stage. It's for the Hall of Famers. You're just some blue-collar guy from Scranton, Pennsylvania.' "
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership