Sex Education at 5
  • GovernorGovernor October 2008
    I just read a BBC article about how the UK will start introducing very basic sex education to students at the age of 5, and it reminded me of an ad that McCain put out about Obama saying that he supported sex education for 5 year olds.

So my question is, why is that a problem? I'm not specifically referring to Obama's view on it (anyone that actually read up on that ad knows that 'sex educaiton' was probably far too strong of a word to describe what Obama supports), but just in general. I mean, sexual reproduction is probably the most fundamental and basic action of all living things. We're totally fine with talking about it in terms of other animals (we call that "mating"), but when we mention it with humans, it's like this incredibly taboo subject. It makes perfect sense to me as an atheist to teach kids about sex from as early as they possibly can understand it, but I even struggle to understand the religious justification for not teaching kids about it. Except in the most extreme and short-lived religions, everyone has sex.
  • NunesNunes October 2008
    I think the fear of teaching kids about sex isn't so much about worrying about the kids (as much as we'd like to pretend it is) as protecting ourselves from the embarassment of having to talk about it in front of people that aren't our peers. Do you talk about sex with your parents? Even in sex ed in high school, it was mostly unpleasant having to discuss that shit with the teachers. This is, of course, a function of the problem you wish to solve by teaching kids about it earlier, but still, I think that's why we don't do it. Teachers don't want to (and they're unionized), Parents don't want them to (because they don't want their little girl coming home after first grade and asking about penises), and kids don't have a voice. The scientific community is treated like everybody else, even though they are probably the most well informed and therefore... well... correct body to consult. So the majority wins.

I'd start teaching my kids about sex about as early as they could talk. Nothing weird of course. Just the basic talk about where babies come from. Then when you have to bring up contraception a few years down the road they're not just tuning you out.

Oh and I'd tell them to ignore everything they learned in sex ed. I don't want them trying to sneak in abstinence only shit into my kids head.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    Abstinence only is a joke. I can't comprehend how anyone ever thought that would work.

Teaching kids about sex is socially unacceptable. That's the only reason.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Oct 23 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Abstinence only is a joke. I can't comprehend how anyone ever thought that would work.
    Teaching kids about sex is socially unacceptable. That's the only reason.

What about our moral code suggests that this should be the case?

On the subject of Moral Codes.

"It makes me sick to see people cooperating for no other reason than it's a good idea!"

Seriously Col. Picklejars great lessons in evil are fantastic.
  • coffeecoffee October 2008
    making kids aware of sex leads to masturbation and masturbators are evil perverts who are dangerous to society.

but seriously barring the religious reasons not to (i would have to get a lobotomy to fully appreciate the ridiculousness) i would think censorship to be the only other obvious reason.

and if you're too big of a pussy to talk to your child about it, maybe you shouldn't have had one in the first place. Don't dick around and put the pressure on others who are probably even less thrilled to talk to an entire classroom of kids let alone one. Asshole. Maybe schools should start contracting actual sex ed teachers.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton October 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Oct 23 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What about our moral code suggests that this should be the case?

On the subject of Moral Codes.

"It makes me sick to see people cooperating for no other reason than it's a good idea!"

Seriously Col. Picklejars great lessons in evil are fantastic.

Well... I couldn't watch the movie much... The whole fake get-up actually annoyed me more than entertained. Alas, I believe that the opening line was sarcasm, but I'd like to build upon it further.

Morals are personal. The facts should be presented and that should be that. Condoms are effect measures to protect against STDs (or VDs, whatever they decide to call them). I think it was funny when I had to take "Sex Ed". The teacher walked a fine line. He kept promoting condoms, but always followed with a quick "...,but the only way to guarantee it is abstinence". It was obvious that he added that last bit because he would jeopardize his job otherwise.
    QUOTE (coffee @ Oct 23 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    and if you're too big of a pussy to talk to your child about it, maybe you shouldn't have had one in the first place. Don't dick around and put the pressure on others who are probably even less thrilled to talk to an entire classroom of kids let alone one. Asshole. Maybe schools should start contracting actual sex ed teachers.

That makes me smile on so many levels. So very true, but so very cyclical...
  • redboneredbone October 2008
    5? Maybe things have changed, but I was in kindergarten at that time in my life, and I don't think I even started realizing girls were hot until part way through 4th grade, and only by 5th grade did I realize what the hell was actually going on. Maybe I was a late bloomer.

I'm not sure what the retention value of a kindergarten student is going to be about how to use a condom and what an STD is. Boys this age can't help but crack up at the mere word penis or fart, I just don't think its possible in a school environment for this to do any good. About the only thing I can think would happen is the class 'cool guy and popular chick' might try and sneak off together during recess and have a failed mating attempt.
    QUOTE (redbone @ Oct 24 2008, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    5? Maybe things have changed, but I was in kindergarten at that time in my life, and I don't think I even started realizing girls were hot until part way through 4th grade, and only by 5th grade did I realize what the hell was actually going on. Maybe I was a late bloomer.

I'm not sure what the retention value of a kindergarten student is going to be about how to use a condom and what an STD is. Boys this age can't help but crack up at the mere word penis or fart, I just don't think its possible in a school environment for this to do any good. About the only thing I can think would happen is the class 'cool guy and popular chick' might try and sneak off together during recess and have a failed mating attempt.

Is anyone promoting comprehensive sex ed for 5 year olds? From contraception to STD's to penisgoeswhere?

I think starting a dialog with kids as early as possible would go a long way towards making boys that age NOT giggle when they hear the word penis. If it weren't so taboo maybe we'd have fewer kids getting preggers at the age of 15. Then we might have fewer abortions too. But it could encourage kids to fuck at 5... or something... so let's stay afraid of sex.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership