• NunesNunes November 2008
    Tomorrow's election day. Remember:
    If your polling place uses electronic voting machines, make sure the box you click is the box that gets filled in. There are reports of calibration problems.

If you are IN LINE before the poll closes, you are allowed to vote. They basically have to clear the line.

Rules vary from state to state, so unless you know, don't bother wearing any political junk to the polls.

If you vote straight ticket (a pretty retarded practice IMO) you still have to select a presidential candidate. Selecting straight D doesn't count as a vote for Obama. Same with R and McCain.

Bring ID. Not necessarily required, but nobody wants to wait in line for an hour to find out they need ID to vote in whatever state. This will be especially important this election for first time voters.

There's more advice to be giving, but those are the biggies.

Best advice? VOTE.
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    And sample ballots are your friend (for those of you that don't want to vote along party lines)!
  • GmnotutooGmnotutoo November 2008
    Vote drunk. Only with the consumption of alcohol will you now what you truly want in life.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    More alcohol?
  • KPKP November 2008
    ZOMG VOTE!
    type your address and zip to get a sample ballot if you haven't already. Remember kids, if you don't know who and what you're voting for for ALL the positions you're a sucker.

Oh, and anybody who's still allowed to post on Meathammer's forum: would you mind dropping that site over there? Some of the more serious mouthbreathers might be interested to note that there are other offices being contested than the POTUS.
    I'll take care of it.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 November 2008
    Vote McCain.

That is all
  • ErlingErling November 2008
    It's our right not to vote too! No just kidding, I get up to 3 hours of paid time to go vote during work tomorrow!
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    Done.
    I voted so HARD. Ungh.
  • PhilPhil November 2008
    i'm filling out my absentee ballot and posting it this morning. hooray for being counted in a few weeks time!
    This is the first time I've voted in Lancaster County, and I must say I thought it was quite a good deal better than Delaware Country. The ballots we had to fill out where pretty old fashioned: each ballot was printed on a piece of legal paper and was basically a glorified scantron. The ballot had tons of open space to make sure people didn't get confused, and the squares that you filled in with a dark pen were quite large and had a thick stroke on them so it was more difficult to go outside of the lines. When you finished filling out your ballot, you passed it into a machine that checked your ballot for accuracies and logged your vote. It was the perfect "paper trail meets" technology. Aside from the slightly longer it could take some people to place their vote, I don't know why this system isn't more widespread.

Delaware County had the huge "lever" machines for punch cards, and they were just all around awful.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Nov 4 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This is the first time I've voted in Lancaster County, and I must say I thought it was quite a good deal better than Delaware Country. The ballots we had to fill out where pretty old fashioned: each ballot was printed on a piece of legal paper and was basically a glorified scantron. The ballot had tons of open space to make sure people didn't get confused, and the squares that you filled in with a dark pen were quite large and had a thick stroke on them so it was more difficult to go outside of the lines. When you finished filling out your ballot, you passed it into a machine that checked your ballot for accuracies and logged your vote. It was the perfect "paper trail meets" technology. Aside from the slightly longer it could take some people to place their vote, I don't know why this system isn't more widespread.

Delaware County had the huge "lever" machines for punch cards, and they were just all around awful.

Welcome to PA dewd. Here's your pen and paper. If you fuck it up the machine will yell at you and you can go take your test ballot to the teacher poll worker and he or she will help you.

We also have the most fucked up retarded ballot referendum ever. What happened to ballot initiatives like, "Let fags marry? Y/N?"

Now we have shit like:
    Do you favor the incurring of indebtedness by the Commonwealth of $400,000,000 for grants and loans to municipalities and public utilities for the cost of all labor, materials, necessary operational machinery and equipment, lands, property, right and easements, plans and specifications, surveys, estimates of costs and revenues, prefeasibility studies, engineering and legal services and all other expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, construction, improvement, expansion, extension, repair or rehabilitation of all or part of drinking water system, storm water, nonpoint source projects, nutrient credits and wastewater treatment system projects?

Or as I like to simplify it:
    Do you favor the incurring of indebtedness by the Commonwealth of $400,000,000 for grants and loans to municipalities and public utilities for the cost of all labor, materials, necessary operational machinery and equipment, lands, property, right and easements, plans and specifications, surveys, estimates of costs and revenues, prefeasibility studies, engineering and legal services and all other expenses necessary or incident to the acquisition, construction, improvement, expansion, extension, repair or rehabilitation of all or part of the drinking water system, storm water, nonpoint source projects, nutrient credits and wastewater treatment system projects?

As opposed to? No clean water? federal earmarks? Local fundraising? A fucking bakesale?

I think that's what slowed down you polling place Court. Sure confused some people down here.
  • dandan November 2008
    I stood in a line of 5 people for over 20 minutes. The polling attendants switched their books around, and couldn't realize why the A-L line's book only had M-Z names.

I'm scared. Somebody hold me.

-dan
  • Australian+WitchAustralian Witch November 2008
    Voting at a university went pretty well. The line was about a block long all day, and I waited about an hour, and while I was there, people were handing out water and chips and things. I met some really cool people in line too. Having never voted before, they were pretty helpful in making sure you knew where to go. It feels really good to be the first person in my family to vote, too.
  • ebolaebola November 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Nov 3 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    type your address and zip to get a sample ballot if you haven't already. Remember kids, if you don't know who and what you're voting for for ALL the positions you're a sucker.

Oh, and anybody who's still allowed to post on Meathammer's forum: would you mind dropping that site over there? Some of the more serious mouthbreathers might be interested to note that there are other offices being contested than the POTUS.

I just checked the Got Nuttin' forums for the first time in like 2 months upon seeing this comment. I think their debate forum has become hysterical in both sense of the word. Court, I like how you needed a go ahead from meathammer (hammerhead?) to post a thread. Moreover, opinions are apparently facts, unless someone from the current donut forums posted it. Any exceptions are subject to scrutiny of the admins. They should in fact just declare an oligarchy instead of exhibiting a false pretense of free speech. Man, I just want to congratulate meathammer on his laudable forum policies. Talk about a headache. I hope I don't find another reason to check their forums for at least another 2 months.

back to the thread, I mailed in my absentee ballot for TN a week ago. very easy on paper, but the voting systems from what I've seen are all run by affiliated corporations. I don't like it. The absentee ballot was actually heck of a lot less hassle than normal procedures.

also, if you want to see something hilarious, take a look at the TN House districts. The Gov' did a preeeetty good job grouping the voting tendencies. You can see how he carefully redivided that and gave half of TN's reps to Democrats in a Republican heavy state. But TN is always like that with snaking districts barely contiguous, when the national voting tendencies differ from the governor's party.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon November 2008
    I live in the land of old people, so it took all of about 10 minutes to get in, get all my shit done, and leave. Having no other experience to compare it to, and no knowledge of other voting systems, I guess I'm pretty satisfied overall.

It was a struggle between writing in either Ron Paul, or Santa Claus.

Voted for Paul. This is California, and Obama was going to win anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership