Obama administration posse
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    Rahm Emanuel accepted the Chief of Staff position in an Obama White House. This has been on and off all day. Seems finalized now.

wiki

So far this makes two people in the white house next year that were the real life inspiration for characters on The West Wing.

The guy was a staffer for Clinton too. If you're too lazy to read the wiki, or don't care.
    getting this out of the way before it gets jumped on

Seriously for a website that calls itself "reason" this is pretty irrational:
    And he's offering a $4,000 federal-funded tuition credit in exchange for 100 hours per year from college students. For most students, the latter will become a mandatory part of getting a degree, as colleges will merely raise their tuition to compensate for the vouchers.

Stating a predictive opinion as fact? In my reason.com? It's more likely than you think.
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    Because he is considered to be such a partisan democrat, I don't think he was the greatest choice from a political standpoint. The fact is, I want shit to get done, and it won't get done if the republicans refuse to work with Obama come January.

However, I think he can really help himself move past the criticisms of this appointee by reaching across the isle for some other key positions. Most importantly, I think he would be insane not to reappoint Gates as defense secretary. Most politicians and Americans think of him quite favorably, he was appointed under a republican president, and he garnered near-unanimous support from the senate.
  • PheylanPheylan November 2008
    I agree with Court, especially on the Gates issue. He is also very, very popular with the military. The people that he has hired and fired in the last few years have been very well done. He has my support.
    Yeah. It was a poor out of the gate showing and he's already paying a price for it on the news. But the guy should be a decent CoS, and theres a whole lot of cabinet left to pick. I'll try and keep up with it and add new shit to the list for discussion.
    Some more goodies.

This is more what I expected as a first set of moves. A nice reminder of what our country's gov't was supposed to look like.

FYI: change.gov is the place to be. Party at 11:00-?

It's where all the cool kids are gonna go to get laid after listening to rock & roll and getting tattoos.

Obama says "fuck lobbyists"*

*not really. But he's keeping them out of the decision making process.
  • AlfyAlfy November 2008
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Nov 7 2008, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is great news! Granholm has such a proven track record here in MI. The state almost when bankrupt only once under her administration!

• JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    Well, this fact is a bit unsettling. We'll have to see what happens.

Emanuel has raised more money from individuals and political action committees in securities and investment businesses than from any other industry.
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Nov 7 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well that is great news! Granholm has such a proven track record here in MI. The state almost when bankrupt only once under her administration!

Don't know much about her. How long has she been in charge? What all did she do that screwed up MI that hadn't already been done?

Serious this time, not playing devils advocate.

And yeah. Emanuel isn't a very clean guy, but he's the freakin' CoS. He makes zero policy decisions and is basically a glorified babysitter if I understand the position correctly.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    No. You have it down pretty well (unless I'm missing something as well), but he does have quite a bit of influence over Obama's other members.
  • AlfyAlfy November 2008
    She is trying to get a lot of Tech industry to come to the state, rather than give the companies that are closing the MI plants and moving an incentive to stay.

Not only that, she tried to take away the MEAP scholarship away from students that earned it, with the reason that the State couldn't afford it. Then she tried a few years later to create an even bigger scholarship for those already in college. The State had even let money at that point.

She is, from what I can tell, one of those stereotypical Democrats that want to create new and better programs, without axing the old ones, or removing the ineffective programs. Now, her predecessor, John Engler, made some really poor choices at the end of his term that started her in a negative position, but that was quite some time ago. On top of that, she is under the impression that Detriot is the only city that matters in the state, but that is only a personal opinion.
    Do not want!

granted, it's really just an open letter from jim cramer to "Obama" in which he outlines his ridiculous plans. But still, the implication that this short term money man could provide a public service more important than being something fun to watch when I'm drunk is terrifying to me.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership