What do I need to fix for this to go away
  • redboneredbone November 2008
    I've been having what look like graphics issues in the two games I've been playing lately, WoW and CS. In CS actual gameplay isn't effected from what I can notice, but when I hit tab or am looking at the menus, there are random green flashing spots on the screen. These spots happen when the computer is first starting as well, before windows loads, but are multicolored.

In WoW is where I am having serious problems, that often result in a blue screen saying something about a memory dump.
    The big sloping bar isn't supposed to be there, and is an example of some of the things that start to happen in game. Sometimes they don't result in my computer crashing and I just get occasional things like that, other times it's gets much worse to the point I can't even see what is going on in game, and this is often when the computer decides it's going to die on me.

Some side information that might be important about my computer: At a certain point the fan on the front of my computer got clogged up and stopped spinning, I didn't notice until the computer overheated. At this point I went in and blew all the dust out of the inside of the computer and the fan. There was a decent amount of dust covering the inside fan that I believe blows directly onto the motherboard(MSI NVIDIA NForce 570 SLI Chipset Based K9N SLI Platinum - its what the box says, I'm not exactly sure what I'm talking about), and the fan to the actual graphics card(NVIDIA 7900 GT) I think may have been clogged at one point as well. The computer is about 2.5 years old.

So... if someone could please tell me what I need to do/replace to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I'd place my money on an overheating graphics card. Do you have software to monitor the temperature of your various hardware components?
    I was thinking/hoping it was something as simple having to do with the graphics card. I do somewhere, I'm going to look into installing it and seeing what it says.

Another example of what goes wrong in WoW
    Okay so I have Core Center, and as soon as I launched it an alarm started going off, this is the information it's giving me:

CPU Temp: 42 C
    SYS Temp: 44C
    CPU Fan Speed: 4017 rpm
    SYS Fan Speed: 917rpm (this one if flashing in red)
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    QUOTE (redbone @ Nov 8 2008, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Okay so I have Core Center, and as soon as I launched it an alarm started going off, this is the information it's giving me:

CPU Temp: 42 C
    SYS Temp: 44C
    CPU Fan Speed: 4017 rpm
    SYS Fan Speed: 917rpm (this one if flashing in red)

I assume that is the tiny fan on your actual mother board, and it is throwing an alert because it is running too slow. When you open up your case, do you see anything obstructing it (like a wire or a thick piece of dust)?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever November 2008
    First of all those little colorful pixels are called artifacts. They are usually caused by the graphics card (usually overheating or if the card is not getting enough power).

The Sys Fan is a case fan hooked directly to your motherboard. This should not be confused with the CPU fan which is also hooked directly up to your motherboard but is a special slot which would say CPU next to it (it usually only has 3 prongs while the sys should have 4). I would recommend hooking the case fan directly to your power supply, this will make the fan run at full speed without going into your bios.

If you have done any overclocking to your graphics card, I would set it back to normal. If you haven't I would check out your graphics card and power supply. Something you can try is to open the side of your case and run your computer with a big box fan next to it, cooling the computer down. If the artifacts keep coming I would check to see if your power supply is working properly and giving enough power to your graphics card.
    ps: try using speedfan for your temp readings.
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Nov 8 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ps: try using speedfan for your temp readings.

you... didn't read the thread... did you? image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Nov 10 2008, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    you... didn't read the thread... did you? image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I did read the thread, he is using core center. Speedfan has more temp readings than core center. Speedfan includes temperatures of the graphics card which he did not state.
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    This thread-line sounds like a Fall Out Boy album title.

continue.
  • ebolaebola November 2008
    Yeah, I know how to fix it. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Click World of Warcraft and then Remove. Click Yes, then OK twice. Do not look back.
  • ErlingErling November 2008
    If your graphics card is overheating you might want to make sure it's fan is even spinning. Last time I was having trouble a lot like what you are I finally noticed that my cards fan didn't work anymore! So I spent 4 bucks on newegg and bought a case fan, tied it on with kite string, plugged that sucker in and haven't looked back!
    Thanks for all your input fellas. I was having some more serious issues with my computer as I'm retarded and forgot to plug everything back in and thought my computer had simply died. But now I'm back in action!

=x
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Nov 8 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First of all those little colorful pixels are called artifacts. They are usually caused by the graphics card (usually overheating or if the card is not getting enough power).

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership