Resumes
  • BlackLightBlackLight November 2008
    Hey all, I am starting to apply for summer internships at a number of corporations/magazines in the SoCal/Central Florida/NYC area and I have to start working on a fairly professional-looking resume. Does anyone have any particularly good templates/ideas/suggestions for me? Let me know if anyone here can help, thanks.
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    Make it a point to not talk about how gay you are.

<3
    Try the veal, I'll be here all week.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 November 2008
    http://www.careersonline.com.au/smartmoves/resume.html

I used that image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

http://www.careersonline.com.au/smartmoves...esexample1.html

those are the different examples of how it formats. at the top you'll notice that it has links for samples 1-5. check 'em out for some ideas
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    Try to keep your resume to a single page, and don't use any retarded fonts. Helvetica is great if you have it, otherwise Arial is a nice sans-serif alternative. If you must use a serif font (I say that like it is a bad thing, but I use a serif font on my resume), then use one that renders and prints really smoothly. Georgia is pretty decent for that, but there are many other solid choices.

Print each resume that you plan to give to potential employers on high grade paper. You don't want cardboard, but you want a little bit of heft to it. If it can't run through a normal printer, it's too thick. Don't use a textured paper unless it really really looks nice and doesn't overwhelm the content, and if you do use textured paper, the texture should not be so prevalent that it comes through in a photocopy. Always use 8.5" x 11" paper regardless of the quality.

If you plan to use color (which really isn't necessary, and I certainly wouldn't do it), make sure it still prints extremely clear on a black and white printer. Most likely, your resume will be printed and/or photocopied during the hiring process, and you don't want it to look like crap after that happens.

Stick to what is relevant for the job you seek. You might have a lot of work experience or a lot of honors at school, but they shouldn't be on your resume unless they relate to the job in some way. It's not entirely unlikely that the employer would actually ask you how a particular job experience would help you prepare for the job you're interviewing for. This is especially important for honors at school since, quite frankly, most employers couldn't give two shits. An easy way to accomplish this is to put all of your honors and work experience in your document and keep that saved as a base resume. Then for each job you apply for, simply narrow it down (to a single page if possible) in a separate file.

If you have a career services office on campus, utilize them. It would be best to have a draft of your resume and even a cover letter before you go in, so they have something to read over and give you suggestions and such.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon November 2008
    Be prepared to explain the relations between the occupation and your listed experience. Use what room you need, but don't go beyond two pages or it'll just come off as overblown. Have references on hand. Focus on content, not appearance; people become interested in hiring you through first impressions of YOU, not your paper, so make sure it has real substance to it that isn't stifled by attention-grabbing designs.
    I just try to remember that the resume's primary function is to get me face-time with people who can actually decide to hire me or not. They will decide this through the interview process, not from reading what you have to say for yourself. Resume's are about declaring your candidacy, not proving your worth.
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Nov 14 2008, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey all, I am starting to apply for summer internships at a number of corporations/magazines in the SoCal/Central Florida/NYC area

Gratz by the way. Best of luck to you! Internships can kind of suck, or they can be awesome. Hope you work out the latter.
  • BlackLightBlackLight November 2008
    Wow, you guys are far superior to meathammer's forums. That's the last time I ask them for help haha. Gov, good point on the high-grade paper, that's one thing I totally didn't think about, and I think I'm going to go with Helvetica other than boring Times New Roman. Thanks for the help ladies, I'll let you know how stuff goes, although I won't be hearing back for a few months at the earliest.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    For an internship, you don't need a great resume. I wouldn't try to be t0o professional, because if they were looking for a professional, it wouldn't be an internship position.

The format isn't too important. You just have to make sure all the necessary information (education and prior jobs with your responsibilities) is organized and not lengthy. The employer won't spend too much time on your resume, so don't worry too much about it.

When it comes to a full time career job, things change, but for an internship, you have to keep in mind that they aren't looking for someone who is looking to start at a professional position.
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Nov 15 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    For an internship, you don't need a great resume. I wouldn't try to be t0o professional, because if they were looking for a professional, it wouldn't be an internship position.

The format isn't too important. You just have to make sure all the necessary information (education and prior jobs with your responsibilities) is organized and not lengthy. The employer won't spend too much time on your resume, so don't worry too much about it.

When it comes to a full time career job, things change, but for an internship, you have to keep in mind that they aren't looking for someone who is looking to start at a professional position.

Uhh...what?
  • CheezzypoofCheezzypoof November 2008
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Nov 15 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry I have to bust this post. I was just going to quote Court, but there is so much wrong with what you said lol. I hope your joking on this one but I'm going to say a few points.

What is the point of an internship? To gain experience in a field of study your trying to break into PROFESSIONALLY.
    Companies offer internships for many reasons but the primary reasons are A. to get work done for free or reduced rates. B. they are looking for future candidates... this can also mean interns receive training and if hired later on do not cost as much to train.

Even though I start my training as an Air Traffic Controller in a week, I have my commercial pilots license and I know a lot about internships pertaining to the industry. We have had many representatives from regional airlines come in and talk about getting jobs. And every single airline said that when former interns apply, ~75-90% of them get hired. And in general, 1 out of 4 people interviewed for an airline job get the job. Those are the people interviewed.... and who is to say how many people apply and don't get an interview. The point of this paragraph... companies are looking for future candidates in their interns... professional positions.

As far as advice, Court did pretty well. I just want to add that in general your resume is looked at for no more than 15 seconds, if you don't catch their attention you are ruled out of the process. Never use fonts that bleed when printed or that letters are not clearly identifiable. Never more than one page. Do not list references, just point out references can be furnished upon request. Point out any customer service skills, or management skills. Companies are looking not only for technical skills, but for people skills.

Make yourself a personal portfolio for when you go to interview.

Have your resume, copy of your passport, original social security card, college transcripts, high school diploma (high school transcripts if you have not gone to college), driving history and copy of your drivers license, residence history, military history, credit history, proof of leadership positions, letters of recommendation, any awards or licenses etc.. and anything else pertinent to helping you get the position.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2008
    I concede. I was going mostly on what I learned at my internship. I got to talk to the higher ups, and learned a lot, but they informed me of what they were looking for in an internship and how that was different than looking for a professional. Maybe it was just that company.

edit: I feel the need to explain myself a bit more. Feel free to ignore me as I shove my foot in my mouth. Anyway, my post was all about what companies expect from an intern hire. They are expecting someone who doesn't understand the business world. They aren't expecting someone who knows what a professional resume looks like or someone who is comfortable with interviews. Both are an advantage, but nowhere near as strong an advantage when looking for an actual position.

You are right Chezzy, the overall point is to train the intern how the business world functions. Internships help you with things like resumes and interviews. They get you comfortable in a business setting. They don't expect these things off the bat. They may be looking to hire someone down the road, but they won't be basing that off your resume. That decision will be based on what you did at the company.

The overall point that I wanted to convey was lost. I just wanted to basically get a relaxed attitude about it. There is no need to be uptight with an internship position. They actually expect screw ups and mistakes, so just take the shots your given and do the best.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership