Left 4 Dead
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever November 2008
    Did anyone purchase the game?

I'm installing it right now (taking hours because of my schools internet)

But I'm looking forward to the full version of the game, I want to be a fucking tank and pwn everyone up!
  • BlackLightBlackLight November 2008
    Played the demo, very legitimate if you're into the 28 Days later style zombie. Planning on purchasing it at a later date, let me know how it goes.
  • JonobonoJonobono November 2008
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Nov 18 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Played the demo, very legitimate if you're into the 28 Days later style zombie. Planning on purchasing it at a later date, let me know how it goes.

ORLY?? 28 days is still in my opinion one of the best horror/thrillers out there. The first half atleast. When he walks through London and it's completely empty I still get chills.

If it could be anything like the movie, i may be so inclined as to buy it.
  • vegitotgkvegitotgk November 2008
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Nov 18 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completely agree Blacklight. I just played through the demo with a friend and it is very much like 28 Days Later. It was a good amount of fun and quite scary at some parts. The sound effects creep the fuck out of me. The weapon selection in just the demo was pretty good too.
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Nov 17 2008, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Did anyone purchase the game?

I'm installing it right now (taking hours because of my schools internet)

But I'm looking forward to the full version of the game, I want to be a fucking tank and pwn everyone up!

Have you read reviews? That's not what I'm led to understand the game to be. Wanna be god? Play Diablo II and wait for III to come out, but this is supposed to be the sort of game that's damn near impossible to get anywhere with if you don't cooperate with your team. You can run and gun all you want, but in order to advance the mission you have to activate a horde of zombies that will simply overwhelm a lone survivor. That was the idea anyway.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Nov 18 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Have you read reviews? That's not what I'm led to understand the game to be. Wanna be god? Play Diablo II and wait for III to come out, but this is supposed to be the sort of game that's damn near impossible to get anywhere with if you don't cooperate with your team. You can run and gun all you want, but in order to advance the mission you have to activate a horde of zombies that will simply overwhelm a lone survivor. That was the idea anyway.

I think he's talking about the option in multiplayer for humans to play as special zombies against human survivors. Those zombie types include a "tank," so I think that's what he meant. -1 for Diablo reference
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Nov 18 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think he's talking about the option in multiplayer for humans to play as special zombies against human survivors. Those zombie types include a "tank," so I think that's what he meant. -1 for Diablo reference

yep yep
  • PheylanPheylan November 2008
    I read some reviews and the only thing that concerns me is that there are only 4 missions. Seems like it would be old kinda quick.
    4 campaigns, 5 levels each

The thing is it is slightly different each time, and in versus mode it is competitive which makes the game play even better.

And who says they are not going to update the game?
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Nov 18 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahya! That's pretty awesome actually. And Diablo references warrant a +2 minimum.
    Just bought it, and trust me, co-op doesn't get old despite the relatively few amount of levels. There's very few games out there that require such a cooperative effort from the whole team. Tons of fun.
    The tremendously cooperative co-op mode really intrigued me when I saw the first stream of trailers for it. Glad to see they didn't skimp out on it for a more conventional multiplayer style to be more accessible or some such nonsense. I hadn't heard about the play-as-a-zombie mode before, so after hearing True Believer's thoughts, I was concerned they'd done just this.

Excellent. And it gets to live on the best DRM manager in PC history. Huzzah.
  • BillBill November 2008
    I picked it up today at the request/suggestion of a buddy of mine. Definatly one of my favorite co-op experiences... Also very 28 days laterish. All in all, I say pick it up.

• stealth_3lfstealth_3lf December 2008
    definitely the best fps coop game i've played in a long time, rivals my coop halo experiences (when it first came out)

definitely anyone that wants to get together for some games let me know on steam just add stealth_3lf
  • jkarate212jkarate212 December 2008
    QUOTE (stealth_3lf @ Dec 4 2008, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    definitely the best fps coop game i've played in a long time, rivals my coop halo experiences (when it first came out)

definitely anyone that wants to get together for some games let me know on steam just add stealth_3lf

YOUR ALIVE!!!
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon December 2008
    I dunno. Maybe it's the fuckwits I'm playing with or just that zombie stuff doesn't really appeal to me, but I find it sort of underwhelming. There isn't really much to do and I don't think it warranted a 50 dollar price tag.
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever December 2008
    QUOTE (Black Balloon @ Dec 5 2008, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I dunno. Maybe it's the fuckwits I'm playing with or just that zombie stuff doesn't really appeal to me, but I find it sort of underwhelming. There isn't really much to do and I don't think it warranted a 50 dollar price tag.

Zombies are hard to play with; it is more strategy than anything. I actually started to do very well as a zombie, you have to look for the weak link of the team and get him when he is straying away from the pack. If you have a team that works together it makes it a lot easier, but you have to choose the right people to attack.
    No, I don't mean playing zombies in Versus. I mean zombie-survival horror stuff in general.

But yeah versus is sort of a toss-up. I never really see close games in it, which is sort of annoying because I like the cliffhanger stuff; really close victories or defeats. Getting slammed is discouraging and unfun.
  • BlackLightBlackLight December 2008
    Versus definitely isn't as fun as co-op campaign. Truly some awesome moments at the ends of those trying to hold off the horde until evacuation. Makes me laugh so hard when I see a teammate get bitchslapped across the map by a tank as we're running for the truck.
    It was definitely some good fun going through the campaign with my friends the first time, because it was new and interesting and all. But it doesn't really feel like it has enough of a survival-horror feel to it. It's very run-and-gun in very specific scenarios, and it doesn't really seem to have much replay value.
    balloon google Zombie Panic. There's a mod I think you'd like. It's more slower-paced and requires much more strategic work and teamwork. And it definitely has plenty of replay value, it's still my favorite half-life/source mod.
    I have it. I haven't really gotten around to playing it much, but I have it.
    Oh I forgot they made it an official steam mod lately. you should play it more it grows on you.
    QUOTE (Black Balloon @ Dec 6 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    No, I don't mean playing zombies in Versus. I mean zombie-survival horror stuff in general.

But yeah versus is sort of a toss-up. I never really see close games in it, which is sort of annoying because I like the cliffhanger stuff; really close victories or defeats. Getting slammed is discouraging and unfun.

I made a group with my clan mates for versus mode, and we haven't lost yet (and we only finished 2 games cuz people seem to leave after the first or second round)
  • neocronneocron December 2008
    It's good.
  • NunesNunes December 2008
    QUOTE (Black Balloon @ Dec 6 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen VERY close matches before. Where one lone survivor is running to the safehouse to slam the door on the zombies faces, only to be dragged into the woods by the only living smoker, which he killed. Then he got sprayed by the boomer and tried to run back before he was swarmed. He was pounced on by the hunter literally two feet from the safehouse and killed.

But now people are cheating, so it sucks a lot.
    It seems like a game that would be very susceptible to map hacks and aimbots.
  • NunesNunes December 2008
    QUOTE (Black Balloon @ Dec 15 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It seems like a game that would be very susceptible to map hacks and aimbots.

curiously the problems stem from developer console commands. So you can be sitting in the safe house waiting to start a round and 20 witches spawn next to you. And then a tank comes through the walls. Valve claims to have fixed this particular set of issues by locking all those console commands, but who knows. Pandora's box has been opened.
    Haven't lost a match in two weeks =P
  • GovernorGovernor February 2009
    If anyone still plays, I picked up the game when it dropped to $25 this weekend. I am fantastically bad at the moment, but I'm hoping to get into some online play soon.
  • BlackLightBlackLight February 2009
    Let me know Gov
  • azn+mikeazn mike February 2009
    I also just got it as well and it's been fun when I played it.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2009
    $25? Still in the $50 zone up here in NH. I might pick it up though, I played it on a 360 at a friends a few days ago. Quite enjoyable. I personally enjoy setting off car alarms image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> very fun to watch that.
    It was on special on STEAM for $25 this weekend. I don't know if that is still going on; it was only suppose to be for this past weekend.
  • azn+mikeazn mike February 2009
    Yeah it was only for this past weekend.
  • KPKP February 2009
    QUOTE (Jong @ Feb 17 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah it was only for this past weekend.

I would have given it a shot if I knew about the 25 dollar deal. Seems a little limited of a game for 50 bucks.

It has singler player; that's far more than CS ever had to offer, yet I think all of us can agree that CS is/was worth far more than $50.
  • KPKP February 2009
    QUOTE (Governor @ Feb 18 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It has singler player; that's far more than CS ever had to offer, yet I think all of us can agree that CS is/was worth far more than $50.

Isn't it only like 4 levels tho?

That is an interesting question. How much is/was CS worth?

Lets say that you had to buy it again way back when...how much would you have paid. This would have to assume that the online population was pretty big no matter what the price was.

• NunesNunes February 2009
    QUOTE (KarmaPolice @ Feb 18 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Isn't it only like 4 levels tho?

That is an interesting question. How much is/was CS worth?

Lets say that you had to buy it again way back when...how much would you have paid. This would have to assume that the online population was pretty big no matter what the price was.

well I for one dumped easily 500 hours into the game. That's far less than many of you did. Using the {go to the movies} metric, the average movie lasting 2.5 hours and costing 10 dollars to watch, that works out to 4 dollars/hour = 4 * 500 = $2,000.00

50 bucks would cover it.
    I wouldn't have bought it for more since I'd have no way of knowing how much time I'd sink into it though.

Alternatively you can use the {how much WoW?} metric. 500 hours of WoW if you play 5 hours a day is 3.5 months at 15 bucks a month is $52.50

yeah. 50 bucks would cover it.

(5 hours a day for 3.5 months? Shit Maybe I played more like a thousand hours.... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...)
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton February 2009
    WoW is a fair comparison. The movies was a bit unfair, but it is used often... probably because almost anything looks cheap that way.
  • coffeecoffee February 2009
    if you think that's unfair consider the hooker metric

take the cheapest service, a hj at $10.

using the average FD member as an example (poster excluded), a $10 service lasting 3 minutes = $200/hour = a whopping 100 grand per 500 hours!
  • NunesNunes February 2009
    Also there was the 3 minutes conseco v. boneduce fight. $35 regular seating, 60 bucks ringside.

"Go back to the fucking Brady Bunch you ginger scrub!"
    "Who's next Conseco? Gary fuckin' Coleman!?"
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2009
    With the time I've spent with CS and how much enjoyment I've gotten out of it, I would easily pay upwards of $60 or so for it. However I would like to know ahead of time that I'm going to get such enjoyment out of it, so thats hard to predict before ti all happened.

I bought it back when I was in a BF1942 clan (fucking right) and some of the members were playing CS when they were bored. Decided I'd join it on the fun.
  • PhilPhil March 2009
    I purchased Left 4 Dead today, but won't get around to playing it for a day or two.

As for the price for WoW or CS, yikes. Some things best left un-calculated.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 March 2009
    QUOTE (Phil @ Mar 9 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I purchased Left 4 Dead today, but won't get around to playing it for a day or two.

As for the price for WoW or CS, yikes. Some things best left un-calculated.

Phil's alive?
  • PhilPhil March 2009
    Cmon now, I post like 1x per month. Thats reasonable.
  • ebolaebola March 2009
    ur such a bitch
  • PhilPhil March 2009
    My computer cannot run L4D effectively.

• GovernorGovernor March 2009
    QUOTE (Phil @ Mar 11 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My computer cannot run L4D effectively.

image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Will someone please convince Phil that paying for a new computer is more important than getting married?!
  • ErlingErling March 2009
    Listen to Court, Phil! Dooo eeet!
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership