Torn, I am it.
  • NunesNunes November 2008
    On the one hand what these kids did is pretty horrible and they are idiots for getting caught and all that blah blah. And assholes too...

On the other hand what they did is kind of hysterically artistic in a way...

The case of a Brighton High School seasonal employee accused of providing beer to teenage boys in exchange for photos of their genitalia shocked and outraged the school community. But it turns out that the employee, Brian Scott Hansen, was the butt of a joke played on him by the boys, his defense attorney said Friday in 3rd District Court.
    Hansen, 49, of West Valley City, believed he had genuine photos of the four boys, and even taped them to his bedroom wall with their names written on the backs. But defense attorney Steven Shapiro said the pictures were cut and pasted from the Internet, and that the boys never took any pictures of themselves.
    "They laughed the whole time about the joke they played on Brian," Shapiro told Judge Vernice Trease, adding that he felt Hansen - who has "functional limitations" - was "taken advantage of" by the boys.
    Prosecutor Kim Cordova agreed the "facts had been blown out of proportion," but said Hansen's conduct was still concerning.
    Trease told Hansen he had shown "a very extreme lapse of judgment." But based on recommendations from both attorneys and a pre-sentence report, the judge imposed no jail time. She sentenced Hansen to 24 months probation and ordered 90 days home confinement, 100 hours community service and sex-offender treatment.
    Hansen was initially charged with four counts of third-degree felony solicitation to commit sexual exploitation of a minor, each punishable by up to five years in prison, and one count of supplying alcohol to a minor, a class A misdemeanor. He pleaded guilty in September to one class A misdemeanor count of dealing in harmful material to a minor. Shapiro insisted the teens who duped Hansen "deserved to be chastised like nobody's business."
    The boys - popular sports figures at the school - wanted something from Hansen, and Hansen was anxious to be included in what "the cool kids were doing," Shapiro said. The photos-for-beer exchange occurred between January 2007 and May 16, 2008, according to charging documents. Shapiro said the case came to light when the boys were caught smoking pot in a shed, said Shapiro. When sheriff's deputies asked the boys, "What can you give us?" they offered up Hansen, Shapiro said.
    Hansen has been a regular at Brighton High School school sports activities for decades. More recently, he worked as a temporary employee, occasionally helping at sporting events and running the clock at games, a Jordan School District spokeswoman previously told The Tribune. He was hired in September 2006 after passing a background check, according to the school district.

The janitor:
    None can doubt this link's hotness.

Questions linger:
    1. Are these kids in fact "cool"?
    2. Should the kids be "Chastised like nobody's business?"
    3. Should Brian be allowed to work with kids again?

I know what my answers are, but I'm kind of a dick, so I was hoping more rational people might be able to help out.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 November 2008
    ew
    QUOTE (Zer0^ @ Nov 18 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ew

exactly. I can't get past that to make an assessment of this situation.
  • redboneredbone November 2008
    Answering your questions in order:
    no
    yes
    no
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2008
    QUOTE (redbone @ Nov 18 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Answering your questions in order:
    no
    yes
    no

+1

any other answers are stupid
    idk. I think the kids in question are the very definition of cool high schoolers. Atheletes with access to beer, and apparently other drugs, and a mean trick to play on the janitor. Call Disney, that's a fuckin' movie. They would of course paint those kids as the REAL losers, but we all know they went on to get laid. Repeatedly. Forever.

And what would you chastise the kids with? Drugs are bad. And stop throwing parties. And don't set up an intricate plot to get the retarded janitor in hot water anymore. Thanks.

I agree that the janitor has been outed as a pederass and should therefore be treated as such. No work around kids plzkthx.

But tricking a janitor into buying you booze by giving him fake penis pictures from the warbls then getting caught smoking pot and using that as a bargaining chip? That shit is going to go down as legendary at that school.

/Not sure how the whole gay angle works into the mix though...
  • I find it distrubing that the kids were happy to let the janitor hang around rather then completly use him and report him straight after they got what they wanted.

But I guess all that does is let you know the character of the kids involved.

I myself would rather report a fucking pervert janitor striaght off the bat, if even if I were to use him for alcohol and what not, I'd still report him as soon as I got what I wanted, not let him carry on working with kids whilst I'm off drinking somewhere, but that's just me.

But like you said, it does make for a pretty sweet high school story.
  • PheylanPheylan November 2008
    They probably saw it as a long term investment. Use him to buy them beer until they don't need him anymore, and then use him as a scape goat if the need arises.
  • BillBill November 2008
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Nov 19 2008, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    They probably saw it as a long term investment. Use him to buy them beer until they don't need him anymore, and then use him as a scape goat if the need arises.

Correct.
  • I'm sure your correct, but like I said, it doesn't say much about their character.

But hey, most entertaining school stories need the inclusion of some arseholes right?
  • GovernorGovernor November 2008
    QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Nov 19 2008, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm sure your correct, but like I said, it doesn't say much about their character.

But hey, most entertaining school stories need the inclusion of some arseholes right?

If I were in their shoes in high school, I wouldn't have reported him. The guy works with high school students -- all of which are capable of making rational decisions about sex, whether society wants to admit it or not. It was socially and legally inappropriate behavior, but if I were in high school at the time, I wouldn't have cared that the dude likes 17 year old boys.
  • It's not like the guy was simoky gay or into cross dressing, it was the fact that he asked for pictures of young adults genitalia...

If that doesn't warrant coming home and telling your parents, or mentioning it to someone else who worked at your school then in my mind there is something wrong with you.

This isn't really relating to sexual decisions, its more pedophilia.
    QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Nov 19 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This isn't really relating to sexual decisions, its more pedophilia.

The very concept of pedophilia exists because people believe children are incapable of making wise sexual decisions for themselves. While that may be true for an 8 year old [in our society], I do not believe (and in high school I would have been far more adamant about this lack of belief) that is true for kids in high school. Aside from the legality of it, I see absolutely nothing "wrong" with a 17 year old having consensual sex with a 50 year old. With that in mind, if I were somehow in the shoes of these teenagers, I wouldn't have felt it my responsibility to nark him out.
  • mungomungo November 2008
    So you're telling me that you'd be OK with your 17 year old daughter having sexwith, and potentially marrying a 55 year old cab driver who she met on the way to an airport?
    That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, and is simply an attempt to use dilemma to drive the conversation in a different direction. What a person would hypothetically do as a parent has no bearing on what one would do as a teenager. But I'm sure you know that.
    QUOTE (mungo @ Nov 19 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So you're telling me that you'd be OK with your 17 year old daughter having sexwith, and potentially marrying a 55 year old cab driver who she met on the way to an airport?

While I do agree with Andrew, I find this topic far more interesting than the original, so I digress.

Anything less and I would be completely belittling and disrespecting my daughter. I might as well just call her an idiot who doesn't deserve the right to think for herself. If only she had waited a year, then she would have been fully capable of making such a decision.

It is only extremely recently that humans have sanctioned the decision to start having sex as was one of the biggest and most important decision of our lives, and I can unequivocally say that I do not follow the rest of the sheep on this one.
    Having sex with and potentially marrying are two completely different ballgames.

If my 17 year old daughter for some reason was turned on by the cab driver and wanted to screw his brains out, then fine whatever.

But I think that 17 is a bit young to be considering getting married.
    QUOTE (redbone @ Nov 19 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Having sex with and potentially marrying are two completely different ballgames.

If my 17 year old daughter for some reason was turned on by the cab driver and wanted to screw his brains out, then fine whatever.

But I think that 17 is a bit young to be considering getting married.

Which has nothing to do with pedophilia image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
    I've always associated pedophilia with pre-puberty so sure =D
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2008
    ephebophilia
  • coffeecoffee November 2008
    all i'm reading is that cab drivers get a ton of poon. where do i sign up?
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership