• jump3rjump3r December 2008
    I haven't been around on the forums for a while. So, I don't know if this has been posted before.

But... Here it is! Some TV Ads on Canadian TV. They seem somewhat shocking because they show them without warning, and after Pampers commericials with babies and small children. But one thing is sure, they're hard to forget.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI&...feature=related

Is this actually effective? Sure you won't forget it, but will it make you think twice before doing something potentially dangerous at work?
  • GovernorGovernor December 2008
    It is commercials like this that really show why over regulation of the airways is an awful idea. Children should see stuff like this. If they saw less silly laser guns and de-gored killshots from "toned down" PG-13 movies, then perhaps they'd take death and consequences for their actions a little more seriously. I bet you wouldn't see kids accidentally blowing their heads off with their dad's guns if they saw the real consequences of doing so, and I bet the same could be said to some extent for any one of the accidents you see in these commercials.
  • redboneredbone December 2008
    Meh I don't know, depends on how you define 'kids.'

I don't think anyone under 10 should be watching those.
    QUOTE (redbone @ Dec 3 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Meh I don't know, depends on how you define 'kids.'

I don't think anyone under 10 should be watching those.

Why?
  • vegitotgkvegitotgk December 2008
    I'm gonna have to agree with Court on this one. If kids were actually exposed to the real-life consequences of their actions, I doubt many would attempt to do the stupid things some kids do. While the commercials pertain to preventing accidents, the real-life possibilities of those "accidents" can show kids that shit can happen if you are dumb.

I think those commercials put a real face on tragedies instead of making them Hollywood-ed up like movies and tv shows do.
    A lot of that was work-place related where people are working in potentially dangerous environments, or doing potentially dangerous things. It isn't the responsibility of a 9 year old to make sure that the chair they are sitting on to color in their coloring book meets standard codes for chair safety.

The impression that these commercials left on me is that they are geared towards adults. Most little kids that see that are going to have nightmares, and be scared of everything they see for a couple weeks, then forget the whole thing. Or look at what they are seeing on TV, think its either cool or would be fun to mess around with.

It isn't an advertising companies job to teach children about death and the responsibility of their actions.
    QUOTE (redbone @ Dec 3 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A lot of that was work-place related where people are working in potentially dangerous environments, or doing potentially dangerous things. It isn't the responsibility of a 9 year old to make sure that the chair they are sitting on to color in their coloring book meets standard codes for chair safety.

The impression that these commercials left on me is that they are geared towards adults. Most little kids that see that are going to have nightmares, and be scared of everything they see for a couple weeks, then forget the whole thing. Or look at what they are seeing on TV, think its either cool or would be fun to mess around with.

It isn't an advertising companies job to teach children about death and the responsibility of their actions.

I could not disagree enough. The idea that accidents don't simply happen and that responsibility ultimately lies with someone (and often the victim of circumstance themselves) is not only work-related and is extremely pertinent to the lives of children. I did stupid shit all of the time when I was younger -- sometimes really dangerous stuff that I even now, as an adult, shudder to think about. I don't really remember if I understood the risks involved, but I guarantee it wouldn't have hurt me to be better informed about that sort of thing.

The whole concept that injury and death are so traumatic that they can cause irreversible harm to children is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah, if you beat a kid three times a day, chances are he's going to grow up to have huge social problems that could lead to him harming himself or others, but these ads are nothing like that. They show consequences; that's a far cry from living them.

Every other animal on this earth deals with horrendously violent and graphic scenarios every single day. Human beings are the most advanced living beings on this earth; I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that we are the lone species in the entire animal kingdom that has an inherent predisposition to harmful psychological damage simply by seeing the real and violent consequences for irresponsible behavior.
    "I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that we are the lone species in the entire animal kingdom that has an inherent predisposition to harmful psychological damage simply by seeing the real and violent consequences for irresponsible behavior."

We don't. It's something made up almost uniquely by America.

"The idea that accidents don't simply happen and that responsibility ultimately lies with someone (and often the victim of circumstance themselves) is not only work-related and is extremely pertinent to the lives of children"

Do you think that these commercials disseminated that idea effectively to 10 year old kids? Think back to when you were in elementary school. How well would you have been able to distinguish when and when not to do something wild/fun/swinging too high on the swingset because you have to contemplate that hey, I could die doing this?

It's not like people haven't tried before to teach kids how to play safe, when recess happens, it's supervised for more reason than Bobby trying to grab Susie's ass.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership