No Call
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever January 2009
    There were two obvious (to me anyhow) pass interference calls that have not been called in this game, both that should of been against the Cardinals, but this one being the major one in the game I think should have definitely been called.

Do you think that Curtis pass was interference or not?
  • MagicMagic January 2009
    give it up -- i don't want the cards representing the NFC in the superbowl either, but you shouldn't blame the game on a blown call. the eagles should have blown them out of the water but got beat by a better team that day -- quit trying to blame it on other factors.
    QUOTE (Magic @ Jan 19 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    give it up -- i don't want the cards representing the NFC in the superbowl either, but you shouldn't blame the game on a blown call. the eagles should have blown them out of the water but got beat by a better team that day -- quit trying to blame it on other factors.

not blaming, I blame it on the Eagles act in the first half.

But......

That doesn't mean that that call should have not been called. It is the second most important game of the year, and to me it was dead on obvious that he intended to stick his arm out and grabbed Curtis. In a tight situation like that you have to call the calls that are obvious. I'm not saying that is the shear reason the Eagles lost, but they could of tied the game up, and that call to me was an obvious call!

I heard a broadcaster today say "You know that could of been pass interference, but let the guys celebrate." WTF is that supposed to mean, throw the game for the cardinals? Not that means anything to this discussion but I thought it was funny.

But anyway if you think it is the reason they lost or not (let me state again I think they ruin the game in first half with the Fitzgerald coverage), alls I am asking in this thread is if you thought that should of been a pass interference call or not.
  • EvestayEvestay January 2009
    I remember thinking that it was not pass interference because it look like he fell at a weird angle or something but I would like to see a replay of it. Can you find us a video? ;x
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Jan 20 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I remember thinking that it was not pass interference because it look like he fell at a weird angle or something but I would like to see a replay of it. Can you find us a video? ;x

I couldn't find a video, but I am sure one will be up sometime. It was all over ESPN and Comcast yesterday.
  • NunesNunes January 2009
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Jan 20 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I couldn't find a video, but I am sure one will be up sometime. It was all over ESPN and Comcast yesterday.

the NFL? releasing video from this season on the internet? You might find pictures from the game, but video takes some more time, and poor quality cams get taken down right quick usually.

That said, Donovan McNabb blew it, as usual. The defense fell apart, which was surprising given their season so far. Andy Reid didn't give the ball to Westbrook enough, but maybe he was hurt worse than he was letting on. And yeah, a couple blown calls. But this failure is all McNabb's.
  • GovernorGovernor January 2009
    I don't think it was pass interference. It was a really poor throw and there was extremely little contact. I certainly didn't think it was "dead on obvious that he intended to stick his arm out and grabbed Curtis."

I think it was close enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the call was made (this is the point the announcer was making as well), but ultimately it just didn't seem to amount to pass interference.

That being said, I couldn't agree with Andrew more on this. I don't understand why McNabb is even allowed to touch a football in the NFL -- he's royally fucked up every single fucking season when it counted. I would choose a less-vetted but more consistent quarterback over his consistent inconsistency any day.
    Oh I'v got more specific reasons why McNabb is to blame for this game. He makes excellent decisions, but has a tendency to throw the ball behind the receiver on slant routes and over the receiver on go routes. His most reliable pass is a lateral dump to Westbrook, at which point I have to ask why WB doesn't just start with the ball in the first place. The guy plays a mean game most of the time, and next to Dawkins he's the soul of the team, but he straight lost a *Gift* championship game... against the effin' cardinals...
  • PheylanPheylan January 2009
    I don't even wantto hear about quarterback woes after watching the game that delholme had the week before. Six turnovers was absolutely pathetic.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton January 2009
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Jan 20 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    His most reliable pass is a lateral dump to Westbrook, at which point I have to ask why WB doesn't just start with the ball in the first place.

It's a play that was formed when Philly would never run the ball. So they'd make the play look as much like a pass as possible and let Westbrook have as much as an open field as possible.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Jan 20 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't even wantto hear about quarterback woes after watching the game that delholme had the week before. Six turnovers was absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, he's better than that. The last couple weeks of football didn't make any goddamned sense. But even the successes had by the Eagles this game were more the result of excellent catches than excellent throws. Like this one? Wrong shoulder, short and dangerous. And without it the game wouldn't have even been close.
  • coffeecoffee January 2009
    although mcnabb is a loser and pukes more than any other QB in the league, he didn't play all that bad; it's not his fault his receivers blow, except for maybe jackson when he's not fumbling at the goaline. Andy Reid deserves at least half of his body weight in blame for going to westbrook zero times during that last faildrive. To quote the Beatles, he is the walrus.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...amp;week=POST20
    QUOTE (coffee @ Jan 20 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    although mcnabb is a loser and pukes more than any other QB in the league, he didn't play all that bad; it's not his fault his receivers blow, except for maybe jackson when he's not fumbling at the goaline. Andy Reid deserves at least half of his body weight in blame for going to westbrook zero times during that last faildrive. To quote the Beatles, he is the walrus.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?g...amp;week=POST20

Kevin Curtis is a good receiver. He had a 1000 yard season last season. I completely agree that making Andy Reid isn't the best GM, but he did a good job at it this season (Demps, Law, Jackson).
  • xemplarxemplar January 2009
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Jan 21 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Kevin Curtis is a good receiver. He had a 1000 yard season last season. I completely agree that making Andy Reid isn't the best GM, but he did a good job at it this season (Demps, Law, Jackson).

Demps?....he may be a "good" player...but his decision to hit Warner for no reason gave the cardinals a free 15 yards and new downs...I love how when he went to the bench, no one criticized him making me wonder if one of the coaches told him to do that...
    QUOTE (xemplar @ Jan 21 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Demps?....he may be a "good" player...but his decision to hit Warner for no reason gave the cardinals a free 15 yards and new downs...I love how when he went to the bench, no one criticized him making me wonder if one of the coaches told him to do that...

This isn't college ball. The ref called him on it and that should be enough to know it was a stupid thing to do. Alternatively the coach could put it in the front of the guy's mind and then send him back out on the field.

Or Andy Reid Wants to break Warner's back. That could be it.
    QUOTE (xemplar @ Jan 21 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Johnson was up in the box... He's lucky the man has back problems. Johnson ALWAYS yells at his players.
  • dandan January 2009
    Why doesn't your poll have an "I don't give a damn" option? The game's over, the Eagles lost. Get over it.

-dan
    The same reason Apatheism isn't a legitimate philosophy. If you feel the need to comment, you clearly care.

You also clearly fail.
    /oh snap.
    I was rooting for the Ravens anyway, and that shit was all eff'd up too.
  • BlackLightBlackLight January 2009
    Blaming a game on one call is retarded. If it was such a big deal why did no one post a topic on Baltimore's late snap in the Tennessee game?
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Jan 21 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Blaming a game on one call is retarded. If it was such a big deal why did no one post a topic on Baltimore's late snap in the Tennessee game?

Because at half-time a lead official explained what happened and admitted that it should have been called?
    a ref admitting he fucked up doesn't make a blown call any less controversial; it's the same dichotomy.

I think the reason no one created a topic about baltimore-tennessee is related to the fact that i have yet to meet one person who doesn't think the players on either team are doo doo heads
    QUOTE (coffee @ Jan 22 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    a ref admitting he fucked up doesn't make a blown call any less controversial

I think it does. There were a couple blown calls this season, specifically that Ed Hochilly call early on, that are causing rule reviews. When it initially happened his explanation didn't do much to assuage the crowd, but he had an excellent point by saying he eff'd up but when the ball is called dead the play is over, fumble or not, and then apologized, and was punished by the league.

Those kinds of situations are what bring about changes like the force out rule change from this season. Botched calls drive the game forward.
    i totally agree that botched calls are good for the game, but i just don't think admitting an error makes a difference in terms of rule reviews and shit. Everybody knows ed fucked up that chargers game, he explained it because he felt it was the right thing to do, i believe the league would've looked at the situation regardless.
    When an official explains the situation, it shows that it is getting attention and that there is an official statement on the issue. This does a lot to calm fans which lowers speculation.

If something happens and there is no official word out on it, what are fans to think? Of course they are going to talk more about issues that haven't been addressed.
  • BlackLightBlackLight January 2009
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Jan 22 2009, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Because at half-time a lead official explained what happened and admitted that it should have been called?

What, in regards to the Philly game? People the day after the Baltimore game were raising hell over the shot-clock missed call. Just because someone apologized for it doesn't make it right.
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Jan 22 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    When an official explains the situation, it shows that it is getting attention and that there is an official statement on the issue. This does a lot to calm fans which lowers speculation.

If something happens and there is no official word out on it, what are fans to think? Of course they are going to talk more about issues that haven't been addressed.

A ref addressing a fuckup in-game or at a post-game press conference isn't offical, a league issued statement is. i'd argue that even this doesn't quell the fans, using the ed H. example, everybody bitched about it until like week 10.
    QUOTE (coffee @ Jan 22 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    A ref addressing a fuckup in-game or at a post-game press conference isn't offical, a league issued statement is. i'd argue that even this doesn't quell the fans, using the ed H. example, everybody bitched about it until like week 10.

Just to clarify, the ref that made the error didn't say he messed up. His superior did.

Right they were complaining about it (and rightfully so), but it wasn't a discussion on "should it have been called".
  • ebolaebola January 2009
    get over yourselves
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership