81st Oscar Nominations
  • BlackLightBlackLight January 2009
    Oscar Nominations for the year were just released today, check them out here....

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/?pn=nominees

Thoughts? Although I see how they decided on the Best Picture nominees I still would've like to see a few movies replaced, and there was FAR too much Benjamin Button love. On the other hand, Robert Downey Jr. for Best Supporting Actor in Tropic Thunder is fucking awesome.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton January 2009
    Downey's portrayal deserves an oscar. The movie wasn't too good, but Downey was awesome.
  • NunesNunes January 2009
    I think this year sucked for movie goers. A decent flick a season does not make for a banner year.

And fuck Ben Button. The Forrest Gump writer just wanted to make another movie all by himself.
  • cutchinscutchins January 2009
    Tropic Thunder is underrated. I laughed a lot during that movie.
    I don't know about 2008 totally sucking Nunes. Comedy-wise I thought Tropic Thunder and Step Brothers (yes) were pretty sweet, and Pineapple Express to a lesser extent. Of course you had the dark knight, but Milk, Gran Torino, Defiance, The Wrestler, and Slumdog were all excellent films. Needed more horror this year though, although I enjoyed Quarantine.
    There is no excuse for The Happening and I only saw Gran Torino and TDK, and Tropic Thunder was my comedy. I should watch Pineapple Express, though. I just expect to be drawn to the theater a little more often than that. It's not even to the point where I want to DL a screener when it comes out. I don't even feel like watching a lot of these films for *free*.

Meanwhile, I *did* spend money on M and Videodrome this year. Maybe it's that prices keep creeping up and quality not reflecting that which drives me away from theaters these days. Shmeh.
    Indeed, the Happening is the kind of cinematic atrocity that only comes around once in a while.
  • coffeecoffee January 2009
    1. the happening was definitely not happenin'

2. Where the fuck was the x-files movie nod. it probably doesn't deserve to win anything but there needs to be more duchovny love after getting jobbed at the '30 rock Globes'

3. I wonder what heath ledger will be wearing as he rappels down from the rafter to accept his award
    QUOTE (coffee @ Jan 22 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    3. I wonder what heath ledger will be wearing as he rappels down from the rafter to accept his award(s)

FTFY
    He will somehow win *every* award. I predict that his dick will be sucked vigorously well into the middle of 2010.
  • redboneredbone January 2009
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Jan 22 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't know about 2008 totally sucking Nunes. Comedy-wise I thought Tropic Thunder and Step Brothers (yes) were pretty sweet, and Pineapple Express to a lesser extent. Of course you had the dark knight, but Milk, Gran Torino, Defiance, The Wrestler, and Slumdog were all excellent films. Needed more horror this year though, although I enjoyed Quarantine.

I'm usually not one for 'scary movies' but I went and saw my bloody valentine in 3D. I was amused way more than i expected to be (a lot of it had to do with the movie being in 3D)
    afterthought edit: I realize its 2009 now
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership