Enlisting
  • cutchinscutchins February 2009
    Well. I decided to enlist. I suck at getting my ass to go to class, so now I'm going to let the Navy turn me into a responsible human being. I'm getting a SEAL contract. So either I'm going to become a SEAL or if I suck dick and can't make it through training, (like 70-80% of the guys who try), I'll have to go to my A school choice which will probably be Cryptology (so I can be a CTI) or Nuclear Engineering. I took the initial AFQT portion of the ASVAB and did well enough that my recruiter said I will have the Navy by the balls and can choose any job I want. I already have my heart set on being a SEAL so whatever.

About a month ago I stopped lifting weights and started doing calisthenics and running in preparation.

This saturday I'll be going to MEPS and I'll find out the details about when I'll be shipped to boot and other stuff.

I'm going to be using DEP to kick my physical preparation up a notch and get into the best shape possible in preparation for BUD/S. Apparently I'll have the opportunity to train with current SEALs during this time.

I'll be in the DEP for at least a few months so I'm not going anywhere yet. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I welcome your thoughts/questions/harassment/molestation.
  • azn+mikeazn mike February 2009
    DUDEEEEEEE

Good luck man, it's going to be a rough ride.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton February 2009
    Wow. Good Luck CJ!
  • NunesNunes February 2009
    I'll miss your smell...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll kick ass.

Meanwhile, we should hang out. What are you doing this weekend?
  • TheDeamonTheDeamon February 2009
    Good luck, the Special Forces community within the Navy is pretty laid back in a lot of respects(compared to other parts of the Navy). A lot of the people I knew who found their way into that community, even on the support side, have loved it there. The physical stuff is rough, but plenty of other stuff/opportunities to enjoy.

Good luck at getting through BUDS, its pretty brutal.
  • PheylanPheylan February 2009
    Good luck with MEPS. It's an absolute joy. Try and get as much sleep as possible the night before, because you're in for a really long day. Take something to entertain yourself, like a book or a magazine. Electronics are a no go. Wear a belt and wear something you'll feel comfortable tucking in, because they will make you tuck in your pants. Despite what your recruiter says, any thing medical wise needs to be on your application. They can give a medical waiver for just about anything, but if they find a problem that wasn't on your sheet it will nullify your contract.

BUDs is 90% mental. It's important to be physically fit, but to an extent even basic will get you fit enough for it. Most of the people that go in and don't make are in just as good of shape as everyone else, they can't handle it mentally.

I'd double check that you get to do what you want if you don't get through BUDs. Most of the time if you don't pass through your first choice, you get to go where the Navy wants you, not where you want to go. Anything they tell you, make sure you have it in writing. If it isn't in writing, it doesn't matter what they told you.

Good luck dude.
  • ebolaebola February 2009
    this means we cant smoke together anymore, nooooos
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf February 2009
    DAMN! Good luck man. I hope you make it all the way through. Some serious mental shit coming your way, not to mention some serious physical stuff to boot. However WHEN not if, but WHEN you make it all the way through you will be able to count yourself as one of the baddest and best trained S.O.B.'s in the American Armed Forces. Matter of fact you can move that up to Global in scale. Badder than pretty much any soldier in any Military in the world.

Seriously.

Good luck.
  • BillBill February 2009
    I already talked to you about it on aim. I'll go against the grain here as well. I think it's fucking retarded. Let me know when you're going to ship out and I'll do what I can to get down there and go out for a few with you.

You still haven't given me the reasons you feel that way, Bill. Seeing as how you're someone whose opinion I value very highly, I would really like to hear them.

@Andrew - I'm working tonight, staying in a hotel and going to MEPS in the morning. Sunday I'm working again. This weekend is pretty much shot in terms of having any fun. There's always next weekend though!

@Tom - Yep. Sucks.

@Everyone else - Thanks for the words of encouragement. It means a lot to me.
  • EvestayEvestay February 2009
    Thank you so much for choosing to serve! I also think getting through BUDS will be a bitch and I have a book I want to recommend. "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell - I know its mostly about a huge fight the SEALS had in Afghanistan but the whole beginning of the book includes how hard he trained while in high school and how hard SEAL training was, so it could give you a good idea of what to expect. You probably know what to expect already seeing as you made the hard decision to sign up. =)
  • Good luck and stay safe!
    <3
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon February 2009
    It takes a different kind of person to be really successful in the military. I am not one of those people, and it's a value I respect. So best of luck in your coming endeavors.
    Done with MEPS. Wow that sucked. Glad it's over.

I'm officially enlisted in the United States Navy in the Delayed Entry Program. I'm an Aviation Electronics and Computer Systems Technician. That's just a front until I pass my first SEAL PST and get my new SEAL contract, though. I have until September 23, 2009 (My ship date for this job) to do that.

Initially they wanted me to go into the Nuclear program because I got a perfect score on the AFQT. But if I signed up for that I wouldn't have the opportunity to change to the SEAL contract. Apparently once you're in the Nuclear program you can't transfer out of it the way you can with any other job.

So yeah. Now I work my ass off and get in the best shape of my life. I get to meet with my SEAL Mentor and Motivator every wednesday to get help training for the PST. Once I hit the minimum requirements for it, I get my new SEAL contract and new ship date. I'll keep you guys updated, whether you want me to or not.
    you should probably load up on carbs and run a lot, cus thats what your gonna be getting in SEAL training.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2009
    I dont know much about the Navy, but from what I've heard the initial PST isnt that bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Minimum 50 pushups
    Minimum 50 Crunches
    Minimum 8 Pullups
    Minimum 1.5 mile run in 11 mins

If thats correct you'll pass PST with little trouble
  • ScabdatesScabdates February 2009
    don't quit

it'll be fun to be able to tell people my older brother is a navy seal

good luck!

edit: yes, this means you're not allowed home if you aren't a navy seal.
  • MeatonMeaton February 2009
    wow eveyone going here and there.. why not just start the FD div of some short of something lol ... GOod luck man .. i tryed do something like all you doing but my avabz ( math part sucked and it kick my ass lol eveything else i did ok on but hte math is what broght me down to not passing lOL ..... any how good luck CJ peace out man
    QUOTE (Zer0^ @ Feb 8 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I dont know much about the Navy, but from what I've heard the initial PST isnt that bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Minimum 50 pushups
    Minimum 50 Crunches
    Minimum 8 Pullups
    Minimum 1.5 mile run in 11 mins

If thats correct you'll pass PST with little trouble

Screening

Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the PST. The minimum requirements of the PST are:

* 500 yd (460 m) swim using breast or side stroke in under 12:30
    * 10 minute rest
    * At least 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
    * 2 minute rest
    * At least 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
    * 2 minute rest
    * At least 6 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
    * 10 minute rest
    * Run 1.5 mi (2.4 km) in boots and trousers in under 11:30

Prospective trainees are expected to exceed the minimums. "Competitive" scores are:

* 500-yard swim - 10:00 minutes or less
    * 79 push-ups in 2 minutes
    * 79 sit-ups in 2 minutes
    * 11 pull-ups from a dead hang (no time limit)
    * Run 1.5 miles - 10:20 or less

The individual parts are not too tough, but put them all together at once and it becomes an ass kicker. The swimming is the part i'm going to have the most trouble with, I still need to learn the combat sidestroke and I've never swam for fitness before in my life. I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly, though.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 February 2009
    Yeah I see what you mean. The individual parts are pretty simple, but with only a 2 minute rest in between each one it will definitely wear you down. If you have until September though, it shouldn't be a problem since all you have to work on is your stamina.
    i swam competitively before and the biggest tip i can give you is always remember to keep your form during swimming. when you're swimming for endurance instead of speed like 500 yards, its all about keeping a decent pace without wasting any energy. also, a good slow form is actually faster than a bad fast form. its very different from running.
  • KPKP February 2009
    Wow man, I haven't seen you or pretty much talked to you in a long time, but thats a big deal.

As long as you are really doing it because you really want to and know what it is about, and not because you have nothing else to do I am all for it.

Good luck, and it would be good to see you before you go to wherever you end up.

• cutchinscutchins April 2009
    Well met my SEAL mentors today, attended a short swim clinic they held and then took the PST for the first time.

Basically it went exactly as I thought it would.

My swimming is abysmal right now. Absolutely terrible. I barely even finished the 500yd swim. My time was like 15 minutes, though I'd rather just consider it not finishing at this point because of how much work i need on my form. The good news is, it won't be hard for me to improve and I anticipate the next time I take it, in about 2 weeks, I will be much much better.

The rest of the PST I did well on. Especially considering my bad form really wore out my body during the swim. Which left me pretty gassed.

72 pushups, 60 situps, 14 pullups. Ran the 1.5mi in 10:47.

It's funny, the test really isn't that hard. But stringing it all together really really kicks your ass.

I've set some goals for myself that I'd like to attain and surpass before I report to BUD/S:

swim <10:00
    >80 pushups
    >80 situps
    >15 pullups
    run <10:00

My SEAL mentors are awesome guys. They know how to push you without getting in your face or humiliating you. The other SEAL candidates are nice guys, a lot younger than I figured they would be.

I'll keep you guys updated.
  • ebolaebola April 2009
    you probably know this already, but you get a little extra by eating lots of polysaccharides night and morning before your test.
  • cutchinscutchins July 2009
    Quick update:

Finally passed the PST today. Got 12:13 in the swim, 73 pushups, 62 situps, 16 pullups and 10:18 run. Very modest improvements, except for the swim. I went through a rough patch where i started letting myself slack off a little bit, so that's my explanation for that.

Next, I need to take an annoying psychological test/survey called the CSORT. It isn't pass or fail, apparently they can gauge your likelihood of success in BUD/S by examining your score on this. I wonder if they tell you the results or not.

That and some paper work and I'll officially have my regular Navy contract replaced with my Special Operations contract which sends me straight to BUD/S after completing boot camp.

I'll have a new ship date (most likely later than my original but not far from it) once I officially have the contract. And so from now until the new date my focus will be on improving my scores and overall fitness in preparation for BUD/S.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Jul 8 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'll have a new ship date (most likely later than my original but not far from it) once I officially have the contract. And so from now until the new date my focus will be on improving my scores and overall fitness in preparation for BUD/S.

This does not seem like a large departure from your previous preparatory activities.

I'll call you next time I'm in town. We need to hang out before you go places to get shot at.

*high five*

Congrats on passing, not that it's a surprise or anything.

/That is a shitload of pushups...
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    That definitely is far too many pushups lol.

16 pullups is nothing to sneeze at either. I think I can do 1.
  • azn+mikeazn mike July 2009
    good job boi image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
  • GachiGachi July 2009
    Good luck to you. I'm really enjoying the Marine life thus far and I haven't even mAde it to the fleet yet due to all the training. I wish u the best luck and keep us updated.

Pheylan we are going to fraternize one day but since you're navy and not in my command were good.
  • PheylanPheylan July 2009
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it Gachi. I finishing up my second day here in Pensacola which was mostly taken up by paper work, house shopping and napping. It's a rough life.
  • LethaLLethaL July 2009
    all i can say is good job guys and keep up the good work
  • QUOTE (Tom @ Feb 5 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    this means we cant smoke together anymore, nooooos

agrizzle
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    Good luck getting through everything. Should end up pushing you to your limits. Keep your head up and move forward with a set goal.

Pick up the book "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. It might be a good read before pushing yourself like you will be. He was a stoic Roman emperor that wrote this journal while conquering foreign lands. Remember, you'll be exercising both your physical self and your mental self, so prepare both.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 23 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good luck getting through everything. Should end up pushing you to your limits. Keep your head up and move forward with a set goal.

Pick up the book "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. It might be a good read before pushing yourself like you will be. He was a stoic Roman emperor that wrote this journal while conquering foreign lands. Remember, you'll be exercising both your physical self and your mental self, so prepare both.

If CJ doesn't know this, then college has failed us all.

Great insight into the attitudes of the Stoic philosophy, though. Haven't thought of that since sophomore year...
  • PheylanPheylan July 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 23 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If CJ doesn't know this, then college has failed us all.

Great insight into the attitudes of the Stoic philosophy, though. Haven't thought of that since sophomore year...

If CJ doesn't know this, modern cinema has failed us all.
    11:51, 76, 70, 18, 10:18

Thanks, Zoid. I will check that out.
  • coffeecoffee July 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Jul 23 2009, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GET OUT
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Jul 24 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Zoid. I will check that out.

Those numbers make me very happy to have you as part of our extended-military.
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    psych cj is weak as shit fight me
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Those numbers make me very happy to have you as part of our extended-military.

image/wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Next: Let's see if i can get my run below 10 and my swim below 11.

If you have those numbers at the end of bootcamp--plus my numbers in the pushes, sits and pulls--they slap $2k in your hand right then and there.
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Jul 24 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    image/wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Next: Let's see if i can get my run below 10 and my swim below 11.

If you have those numbers at the end of bootcamp--plus my numbers in the pushes, sits and pulls--they slap $2k in your hand right then and there.

that's fucking awesome, keep up the good work
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    So if you keep training, do you turn into Superman or is it The Flash?
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 24 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So if you keep training, do you turn into Superman or is it The Flash?

dr. manhattan
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jul 24 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    dr. manhattan

Visiting his blue ass on Mars is gonna be a bigger bitch than getting in touch with him while he's on a secret mission deep behind enemy lines, knife gripped between his teeth, crawling face down through the muck.

/Yes, he killed Blake and half New York. Excuse me, Rorschach. I'm informing Laurie ninety seconds ago...I-I'm sorry. It's these tachyons. They're muddling things up; I'd better follow him inside.
  • cutchinscutchins September 2009
    Sending all my stuff back to Avon Grove and the safety of my Mother's basement. I'm headed to Fort Dix on Tuesday and then Great Lakes on Wednesday.

I'll post in here whenever I have the chance. 'Til then, peace out.
  • PheylanPheylan September 2009
    Good luck CJ. I'm acquaintances with one of the chiefs working at Great Lakes now. Maybe you'll get him. It'll be a lot of fun.
  • GovernorGovernor September 2009
    Best of luck!
  • bobbob September 2009
    You are the man, good luck to you.
  • NunesNunes September 2009
    Crazy stuff.

Don't get kicked out for talking about how much you love the wiener!
    Take care of yourself.
  • GachiGachi September 2009
    Hey man, best of luck to you and I'll see you on the other side as a military man! Safe Trip!!

Don't listen to Pheylan. He's a loser officer.

With all due respect, sir, but I meant nothing but the nicest by that! image/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
  • cutchinscutchins December 2009
    Hey some of you already know this but I figured I'd make an official post.

I graduated boot camp on November 20th.

Bootcamp went really well. I say it went well but please do not mistake that for meaning it was easy or that i enjoyed a single second of it. It was probably the shittiest 2 months of my life. Especially the first month. I was extremely miserable. Physically it wasn't hard at all but the isolation from the outside world and having every second of every day planned out for you combined with the tiny amount of sleep I got really took its toll.

A couple days after arriving I was assigned the responsibility of being the Recruit Chief Petty Officer of my division. Any of you that know me pretty well will be just as surprised as I was at that. But I took the responsibility and ran with it. I won an award at graduation, the Military Order of the World Wars award. Basically means I was one of the top 4 recruits in the entire graduating class (6 or 7 hundred guys i think?). I got to introduce my Dad, girlfriend and best friend to the commanding officer of recruit training command and received his challenge coin. Pretty cool stuff, I suppose.

I'm now down in Pensacola, FL for my 'A' school. I'm an AE, so I'm going to be taught all about the electronics of planes and helicopters.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership