Dawn of War 2
  • neocronneocron March 2009
    Anyone playing this game?

It's a bit of a wc3, coh mix.

• GovernorGovernor March 2009
    Hmm...

Care to explain a bit more about its gameplay? I'd be interested in getting it if it sounds pretty decent.
  • ErlingErling March 2009
    I've heard it's pretty good. Unless I'm thinking of something else, it's a little different than a normal RTS.

You control regions and that gets you your resources for troops/upgrades, all your units are customizable and such. Less about bass building than RTS' normally are - more about controlling places in the world for more resources to get more troops/upgrades etc?

Maybe neo can confirm/deny. ;p
    Two Resources.

Requisition & Power, both have a standard income. Its around 250 per min for Req and 10 per min for power.

You can increase the rate of income for both resources by capturing points on the map. Unlike company of heroes these points do not need to be directly connected to your base, so while the game is still all about map control it's less complicated and some would say less strategic than company of heroes. The only way you can cut off resources for a player In this game is to take the point for yourself.

Some quick fire things.

4 races, Space Marines, Tyranids, Orks & Elder.

Off map abilites that can be called on using points you gain through experience (killing)

A choice of 3 heroes per race, Attacker, Healer, Mechanic. Heroes can only be selected before a game starts and can not be changed, if you hero dies he can be recalled to the field at the cost of Requisition.

Each hero has 3 ability slots and a selection of 9 to choose from.

Heros level up and gain experience when kicking ass, which increases their health etc.

Only 1 building, the one you start with, everything is built from here and you can tech up a further two levels at this building unlocking both new units and new abilites for exhisting ones including your hero.

Base rape is very rare this game it is all about controlling the map and victory points. Units in comparison to a game like command & conquer are very expensive and its unlikely you will ever be controlling more than 8 SQUADS/UNITS. Much like company of heroes the game prefers unit preservation, retreating a squad with low health or numbers back to base to regen health and reinforce.

That's about it really.

Got a few friends in the uk playing it, 3v3 games are very fun. The game has only been out about 2 weeks so still plenty of time to pick it up.

Most screenshots on google are from the campaign so I've took a few from a multiplayer game.

http://img13.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dow1.jpg

There should be 3 in that gallery,

first shows a hero, a scout squad and a ork squad off out from base to start caping.

second shows the two types of points you capture req on left power on right.

third is just some ork carnage.

• PheylanPheylan March 2009
    Is it pretty similar to the first one or does it change a pretty good number of things? I have the first and a couple of the expansions. It was fun, but I never really played enough to get the hang of it.
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Mar 10 2009, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Is it pretty similar to the first one or does it change a pretty good number of things? I have the first and a couple of the expansions. It was fun, but I never really played enough to get the hang of it.

I can only tell you that from what I read its quite different to the first DOW. Honestly I never bothered with the first one. I came straight from Company of Heroes to DOW2 knowing they were made by the same company (relic) and might be similar In the way they play.

A reduced number of units and squad based reinforcement system Is a big change for the series I think. Wasn't the first more like command & conquer In that you built single soldiers?
  • PheylanPheylan March 2009
    No, the first was still all squad based and was pretty limited in how many you could build. Depending on the level of the squad, you could at most have 12 squads I'd guess. Start with a basic squad of like 5 guys and upgrade it with more squad members, special weapons, Sgts, etc. Had more then one building to build though. Probably about 4 or 5.
  • fratersangfratersang March 2009
    I played the first and I am definitely interested in the second....hell my internetz name (fratersang) is from the story universe of this game. Blood Angels ftw

anyone seriously interested? Maybe I'll pick it up.
    If a few people are playing it fairly regularly, I'd probably pick it up and give it a shot.
    I'm downloading a torrent at the moment, if I like it enough and if you promise the multiplayer is good I'll probably pick it up too. I've been missing a decent multiplayer game lately.

Chuzzle needs a multiplayer mode.
    Still wub you frats! I just hate msn image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Had some more 3v3 games tonight. Really enjoying it.

Seems to be plenty people playing this game too, never really have any trouble getting a game and gr.org dow2 section is one of the most active on the site at the moment.

steam name; iamron
    windows live; iamwuud

In other news starcraft2 pre orders have gone live, release date 2nd of June apparently.

QUOTE (neocron @ Mar 11 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    In other news starcraft2 pre orders have gone live, release date 2nd of June apparently.

Where do you see this?
    Amazon.com has started their preorders. Apparently some Gamestop flyer has the release date as June 2nd (Total garbage). The Amazon thing is just so they know they have your money. Nothing official.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Mar 12 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Where do you see this?

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/22850-Ama...or_Starcraft_II

That said UK Amazon has it at September so.. who knows.
    I picked it up neo, I tried adding you on steam but it says that's not a name (it's not your display name but your account name so like [email protected] that you signed up with)? Maybe, I dunno.

Feel free to add me on steam: [email protected] (so insanely old)
    And on LIVE: Finalmjolnir

Edit: Requested you on LIVE.
    I'll add you tonight.

I've changed my steam name back to my old one "What can I get for ten dolla?" unique and should have no problems adding me with that one.

• fratersangfratersang August 2009
    /rez

so dow2 was half off this weekend, and I bought it.
  • GachiGachi August 2009
    picked it up as well... probably won't play on the laptop but if not I'll use it on my desktop later.
  • GachiGachi August 2009
    Game plays really well on my laptop. I quickly had to jump in a game here on lunch against the pc to see how it would run and see if I liked it. I find it to be a great game thus far and can't wait to start multiplayer.
  • fratersangfratersang August 2009
    btw, does anyone have a save game i could download from them, mine got lost in my computer move, and I really dont feel like playing 5+ hours of dow again image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership