Steeeeepheeeeen
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    Happy birthday dewd.
  • redboneredbone March 2009
    image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • azn+mikeazn mike March 2009
    I miss z! =(
  • coffeecoffee March 2009
    i think i saw him at Tunnel
  • jkarate212jkarate212 March 2009
    come back z image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • LethaLLethaL March 2009
    Happy delayed birthday z!

come back we miss you image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • ScabdatesScabdates March 2009
    get a facebook or an AIM screen name

wham bam instant z action
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    This is why I don't use facebook. (not the only story)

It's like leaving your car door unlocked when a cop asks you to step out of the car. Just plain unwise. I'm not all that illegal, but a documented and permanent trail of people I associate with available to any and all law enforcement offices in this country of ours is something I'm not willing to participate in, no matter how freaking cool it is.
    facebook has privacy settings that prevent people from seeing your profile if they're not your friend, and you can restrict certain friend groups from viewing specific items in your profile.
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    QUOTE (coffee @ Mar 18 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    facebook has privacy settings that prevent people from seeing your profile if they're not your friend, and you can restrict certain friend groups from viewing specific items in your profile.

They also have a privacy policy that permits them to give any of your information to law enforcement agencies upon request. So those settings are more or less a load of bologna.

"Although we allow you to set privacy options that limit access to your pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable."

Also:
    "We share your information with third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is 1) reasonably necessary to offer the service, 2) legally required or, 3) permitted by you."

Which they later describe as:
    "a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards."

Sorry. No thanks.

/Did you know that
    The second round of funding into Facebook ($US12.7 million) came from venture capital firm Accel Partners. Its manager James Breyer was formerly chairman of the National Venture Capital Association, and served on the board with Gilman Louie, CEO of In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm established by the Central Intelligence Agency in 1999. One of the company's key areas of expertise are in "data mining technologies".
    ?
    well everyone is having fun and drowning in an endless sea of pussy you are sitting in your house wearing a tinfoil hat and no lights turned on. the only sounds are from your labored breathing and the whirring of your roomba. (slight hyperbole)

all joking aside the law enforcement agencies can twist facebook's arm to share my info, and they can get a fucking warrant to search my house. they can also go back to china bitch. there is nothing on my facebook page that is illegal, and i dont list my home address or anything on there, so if they really want to know what my favorite movies are, too fucking bad. stuff like that kid getting shot by a psycho cop only happens to a handful of people. moral of the story is don't change your status to say "I AM SMOKING A LARGE ROCK RIGHT NOW"
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    QUOTE (coffee @ Mar 18 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    moral of the story is don't change your status to say "I AM SMOKING A LARGE ROCK RIGHT NOW"

Or advocate the legalization of pot on a website where your name and the names of people you know are readily available. Right. Not the point.

When they get that warrant for you, for whatever, and show up at your door, and you put your hands up and get shot, that moral won't matter much. (hyperbole)

I don't fuck with the side of the internet that wants to know who I really am.

What if a 'friend' of yours (you know, one of the 2... maybe 3 hundred people you TOTALLY know on FB...) posts some dumb shit on your wall leading to a warrant? Yeah, doesn't matter if you posted your address there, they have a warrant. The simple fact that the CAN get a warrant based on info on your facebook page should terrify you. It doesn't of course, and that's your call, but I just don't fuck with it.

/my tinfoil is both stylish and functional, thank you very much.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 March 2009
    z's aim is StephenTKrol, but he never answers. whore
  • ScabdatesScabdates March 2009
    stop breaking the law you faggot
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    Yep, because the only people ever harassed by police are lawbreaking criminals. Hell, what if I was your facebook friend and I did something stupid enough to get investigated. I guess you are all cool with being contacted by law enforcement and perhaps investigated for being associated with me. That's fine. I'm not.

• ErlingErling March 2009
    I'm confused as to what was in that article that would make you not use Facebook. It doesn't even say the police were the ones with the information about his Facebook, looked more like that the news reporters looked at his Facebook, not the police.

People stupid enough to say they smoke weed on a service like Facebook deserve to be caught doing it anyway.

Replace smoke weed with anything else illegal (minors with pictures of them at parties are funny too).
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    I don't use facebook because their privacy policy is virtually non-existant. Anything you put up there is the property of facebook. Facebook states in this policy that they will comply with investigations, meaning what's on your facebook seems to be admissible as evidence.

If a cop asks you to open your trunk in a traffic stop, do you? Fuck no.

And there's no chance of a picture being taken of me and put up on facebook and attached to my account by name tagging, right? Like this? Insurance companies won't turn down claims because your "eating disorders might have emotional causes". No chance of that happening. And no employer would ever consider using facebook activity as evidence in an attempt to fire you.

The article I posted could have specifically neglected to research the acquisition of the warrant to make it seem like this was a purely illegal activity, but usually that's not how publications roll. But whatever, there's plenty of stories out there about facebook being teh debil. Go ahead and use it. Not gonna stop you. I just don't like the idea of giving law enforcement and/or our government any information about myself at all. Period.
  • BrianBrian March 2009
    You know, I really don't like Anunes and his anti-cop bullshit.... but he's right.

When I worked with Wal-Mart as loss prevention, we initiated investigations on numerous occasions based solely on someone bragging to their friends on facebook. All of those investigations yielded an arrest. I've had numerous conversations with our local police about how they track some of the local gangs through facebook without them knowing.

Its a resource, and you damn well better believe that resource is being tapped.

But in regards to this particular story, we don't even know that they obtained the warrant based on any information from facebook. It seems incredibly unlikely (read: IMPOSSIBLE) that a warrant was obtained solely based on blurbs posted on the internet. Also, this was an OIS that was not a clean shoot. That cop fucked up. That ALSO has nothing to do with him being on facebook.

The lines you're drawing, while correct on a much broader spectrum, are insubstantial at best here.

The bottom line: Don't be an idiot. Use facebook with some care and consideration and you're fine. Common sense.
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 19 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The lines you're drawing, while correct on a much broader spectrum, are insubstantial at best here.

The bottom line: Don't be an idiot. Use facebook with some care and consideration and you're fine. Common sense.

I'll concede that point. I've just read far too many stories of warrants being obtained on really flimsy stuff, so my head went there first.

It's not just about cops though. So it's not just about writing about something illegal on your page. No matter what your 'privacy settings' say, you are providing employers, insurance companies, police, the CIA, the FBI, and essentially anybody who wants to look with a permanent, traceable record of your existence. I try to only do that when it's compulsory.

You're right in terms of common sense and being fine with the law, for the most part. But saying you're really sad today on your facebook possibly making it harder to get an insurance claim payout for anorexia? BS.

/You'd REALLY hate me if you knew me better. just sayin'.
  • AlfyAlfy March 2009
    Summary: Facebook is evil.
  • WedgeWedge March 2009
    so silly

happy birthday z!
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership