retrieving deleted pictures
  • WedgeWedge March 2009
    im going to help a friend out tomorrow who is trying to get pictures back that we accidentally deleted from her mac. i know a few things to look for but does anyone have any advice? thanks in advance.
  • GovernorGovernor March 2009
    How long ago did you delete the pictures?

If you just deleted them, turn off the computer and do not turn it back on. It's best if you can retrieve the data by hooking up the hard drive to a new machine and accessing it as a secondary drive. The boot process tends to create a lot of temporary files which can easily overwrite the data you want to retrieve. Remember, overwriting even a single byte of information from a binary file can corrupt the file beyond any usefulness.

If the computer has been in use since the files were deleted, especially if it were used to access the web, your chances of recovering useful binary data has already taken a severe hit.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton March 2009
    I know there are some programs that do this. As long as the data has not been overwritten, it is fully recoverable.
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Mar 11 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    im going to help a friend out tomorrow who is trying to get pictures back that we accidentally deleted from her mac. i know a few things to look for but does anyone have any advice? thanks in advance.

buy her a PC.

/OHHHHHHH SNAP!
  • GovernorGovernor March 2009
    I totally missed the mac part. She didn't have time machine running? This whole process could have been avoided image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) April 2009
    use time machine. profit.

brought to you in part by the apple rep @ FD.
  • October 2009 Edit
    I think I know the answer to this, but I am trying to get an Email I deleted from one of the mailboxes I have on the server through dotMac. I dont think Time Machine is going to help me, right? I mean, the thing was on the server, so it looks like its gone. I fished around with Time Machine, but . . .
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership