SCIENCE
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    Did humans and dinosaurs walk the earth together?

How long does it take the earth to revolve around the sun?

How much of the earth's surface is covered in water?

59%

53%

15%

Those are the questions asked and the percentages of correct responders amongst a sample of 1000 Americans aged 18+.

Are those REALLY that hard to answer?
  • neocronneocron March 2009
    Do you have the percentage of correct answers for other nations or was it only asked in the usa?
  • GovernorGovernor March 2009
    I would have gotten the last question wrong by 4%. Were they expecting an exact percentage?
  • NunesNunes March 2009
    @ neocron, the test was conducted by a **California science museum thinger. America only. I bet UK isn't that much better, but I could be wrong. maybe this is what happens when you make money so hard to understand and so important to day to day survival. Nobody has the time or energy to put into actually learning this stuff which you'll only use on a pop quiz or if you're in a field of science? Meh

@ gov, c) 69 - 76% you had it on lockdown. But you'd be part of the 85%. Only 15 got it dead on at 71%. I happened to know that number for some reason or another. Probably some stupid environmental science bullshit that stuck. For practical purposes, 3/4 is acceptable, and would put you in the bucket with 47% of responders.

next question on the quiz was "what percentage of the earth's water is fresh?" Answer it right and welcome to the 1% minority...

a| <1%
    b| 1 to 3%
    c| 4 to 6%
    d| 7 to 10%

/** The place looks totally fucking awesome and I want to go there. Summoning JASON! Paging JASON! Go there and report back. Smoke a doobie on the way plzkthx. Test is on the bottom right of the page.
  • ErlingErling March 2009
    I just missed the % of water is fresh. I consider knowing the exact percentage of the worlds surface covered in water and % of water that's fresh not even in the same library as how long does it take the Earth to circle the sun honestly.
  • dandan March 2009
    I liked the evolution options. I got a chuckle out of it.

I got the fresh water question wrong. I said less than 1%. That's the amount of drinkable fresh water on the planet. I consider it correct on grounds of obscure technicality.

-dan
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton March 2009
    QUOTE (dan @ Mar 13 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    II got the fresh water question wrong. I said less than 1%. That's the amount of drinkable fresh water on the planet. I consider it correct on grounds of obscure technicality.

That is what I remember from my Earth Science and Natural Hazards class. Much more useful/important piece of information.
  • ScabdatesScabdates March 2009
    I think the real question here is how many people lied about their age and purposely mislead the poll. Based on my experience in polls, not one of these people took it seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership