• KPKP April 2009
    So I just read an article about OnLive (www.onlive.com) which is quite the idea. I had not heard of it before but maybe some of you have. Its the idea of cloud computing applied to gaming. Basically my $300 netbook would be able to play Doom3 because all of the processing would be on a server somewhere and all that is needed is my monitor and inputs.

I personally think this is totally possible...in like 10 years when broadband speeds are much higher and available. Right now..seeing as I have Verizon FiOS and STILL get lag sometimes on games/videos....sending the amount of data at the extremely low latency that would be needed..is impossible. Most importantly, input speeds seems like it would be slow. Even the slightest lag in moving your mouse, and seeing it move the screen is obvious and makes the game unplayable.

But how awesome would it be to play ?

Think about how much bandwith would be needed to have a 16 man lan party all use this image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    The system revolutionizes the way that data is sent, processed and returns.* Lag is theoretically reduced to under a millisecond which would be undetectable to the human eye.

I think it will not take off at all, the guy will make nothing on his fairly brilliant idea and (hopefully) excellent execution and he will die penniless, probably living in a box. I think this only because it will have to be a really foreign model for game playing to be possible. A monthly fee to access the content perhaps, followed by slightly jacked up prices on games that you don't even get a physical copy of is not a model that will appeal to today's gamers.

Used console games sold at 1/2 price at your local GameSlop? That's more the speed of things these days.

/hopes this rekindles interest in PC game development.
    //figures it won't
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton April 2009
    I think the payment system for this is going to ruin it. You pay a monthly fee and you have to "buy" the game.
  • KPKP April 2009
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Apr 2 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think the payment system for this is going to ruin it. You pay a monthly fee and you have to "buy" the game.

If it isn't too high of a fee I would still be all over it. It is just too appealing to be able to play a game on any computer/tv
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    QUOTE (KarmaPolice @ Apr 2 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If it isn't too high of a fee I would still be all over it. It is just too appealing to be able to play a game on any computer/tv

I'd be interested in checking it out as well, I just find myself skeptical about shit like this. Think:

If I know about this I am fairly well informed about technology. If I am fairly well informed about technology I am part of a small (but growing) minority of individuals in the world. This minority is primarily composed of people that own computers that look like this:

These people aren't going to buy this instead of upgrading their ram or buying a new video card. Not enough anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership