Anyone else hate Monster Cable?
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton April 2009
    Wondering why Engadget still has a permanent ban on covering Monster Cable products, even after the company tried to make amends for its frivolous lawsuit and strong-arm settlement offer against Monster Mini Golf? Well, it's because the company hasn't actually changed its ways -- not only did we just catch them trying to peddle their overpriced snakeoil cables using rigged displays for the third time, Noel Lee's lawyers have dusted themselves off and filed a lawsuit against Monster Transmission, a performance auto supplier in Florida. Yes, Monster Cable is suing an American automotive manufacturing company in the middle of a recession. Brilliant PR move, don't you think? So yeah, the ban stands -- and we'd recommend steering your friends to any number of cable brands that are just as good, much cheaper, and far less burdened with the stink of desperation than any of Monster's products.

source

Monster Cable has aggressively protected its name and trademark by opposing applications for registrations for marks that include the term "MONSTER" at the United States Trademark Office. In addition, lawsuits have been filed in a number of cases. [8] Monster Cable CEO Noel Lee defended these actions by saying "We have an obligation to protect our trademark; otherwise we'd lose it." [9] Monster Cable owns many trademarks[10] and patents[11] listed with the US Office of Patents and Trademarks[12].
    Monster Cable's adversaries include:
    Snow Monsters (a kid's skiing group)
    MonsterVintage, small used clothing store
    Monsters, Inc., an animated feature film[13]
    Monster Garage, a television series[14]
    Monsters of the Midway, a nickname of the Chicago Bears football team
    Fenway Park's Monster seats
    Monster.com employment website
    Monster Mini Golf[15][16]
    Monster Balls Paintballs manufactured by JT Sports
    Monster Transmission

source

I'm going to open up my copy of Dante's Inferno and see which circle of hell is reserved for corporations that use the legal system as their personal brute squad.
  • ScabdatesScabdates April 2009
    So...people are angry at this company because they don't like the product...yet people still buy the product. I don't think anyone's being forced to buy Monster Cables.

This post was much less pleasant when I originally wrote it image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • fratersangfratersang April 2009
    I want to see them try to sue the shit out of Monster jobs!
  • AlfyAlfy April 2009
    What?

I use only Monster Cables for the best audio and video quality. It has made a huge difference for me.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership