boooooooooo
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    link

It's murky legal water, but I find it hard to justify the denial of Habeas Corpus to someone who isn't a POW.
  • GovernorGovernor April 2009
    What exactly are you booing? This is a [small] win in my book.

This is another issue that I am extremely disappointed with Obama about, and I think this is an extremely positive judgment. I just wish it had more implications aside from these three particular prisoners.
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton April 2009
    ... He's looking to give them a trial. I had to put my torch and pitch-fork away, because I can't see what I'm supposed to be against here.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    Sorry, I shouldn't have glossed over it. The ruling ROCKS.

This:
    "The administration had sought to preserve Bagram as a haven where it could detain terrorism suspects beyond the reach of American courts, telling Judge Bates in February that it agreed with the Bush administration’s view that courts had no jurisdiction over detainees there."

Doesn't.
    Yes, that doesn't rock at all. That is quite awful.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    I really should have quoted that part of the article out of the gate. It flustered me enough that I guess I assumed it would be clear to you guys.

1 Close Gitmo
    2 Move Gitmo detainees to Bagram
    3 Continue to cite the same nonsense as the previous administration
    4 Change in which one may believe
    5 Courts call shenanigans (for some reason)
    I'm a little disappointed that the supreme court decision before only applied to Guantanamo. I can understand a district court only applying logic to individual cases, but the supreme court is suppose to set precedents so the exact same "type" of lawful abuse isn't repeated over and over again in only technically different scenarios.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    QUOTE (Governor @ Apr 14 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm a little disappointed that the supreme court decision before only applied to Guantanamo. I can understand a district court only applying logic to individual cases, but the supreme court is suppose to set precedents so the exact same "type" of lawful abuse isn't repeated over and over again in only technically different scenarios.

I'm unconvinced that any branch of government actually understands its function. So ... there's that.
    QUOTE (ANunes @ Apr 14 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm unconvinced that any branch of government actually understands its function. So ... there's that.

Each branch likes to redefine itself whenever they feel the need to. Mainly the Executive and Judicial, because court rulings can become law, and the POTUS can declare a war.
  • NunesNunes April 2009
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Apr 14 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Each branch likes to redefine itself whenever they feel the need to. Mainly the Executive and Judicial, because court rulings can become law, and the POTUS can declare a war.

Never attribute to maliciousness what can be attributed to ignorance.

somebody said that sometime, right?
    Google comes up with very little.
  • ScabdatesScabdates April 2009
    Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Don't assign to stupidity what might be due to ignorance. And try not to assume your opponent is the ignorant one -- until you can show it isn't you.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership