Sports Warriors
  • ErlingErling June 2009
    Watched some of those videos from you guys bitching in that soccer thread, while people getting hurt playing contact sports isn't all that interesting I do enjoy hearing about shit players play through. End of the NHL Playoffs generally has a lot of good stories, one of which being Mark Recchi of the Bruins played through the entire second round with a kidney stone, had surgery 2 hours before game 7 to have it removed and never missed a shift!

http://www.tsn.ca/window/oneclip_nhl_playo...html#clip185200

Imagine having that happen to your finger and having the balls to come back the next period?
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    Hockey is quickly devolving from sport, to bloodsport. And the NHL is facilitating the transition.

I love it.
  • omg. ew. but also awesome.
  • ErlingErling June 2009
    That's a very strange thing to say; considering most avid hockey fans are appalled by the attempts of "pansification" of the sport by Bettman.

Edit: On that video I do believe my favorite part is the chicks behind the bench.
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    That says more about the modern avid hockey fan than it does about anything else.

Remember kids, if you sucker punch a man, shattering his orbital bone *on purpose*, you won't receive any penalties and you will be permitted to play in the following game.
  • BillBill June 2009
    That's always been part of the game though. That's not new, it's just more publicized and reported when it happens now. It's actually happening less often than it was because of rule changes meant to deter fighting, refs ending fights earlier (esp. in the playoffs), everyone wearing helmets, etc. So, I'm not entirely sure what the fuck you're talking about, in short.
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    QUOTE (Bill @ Jun 25 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    That's always been part of the game though. That's not new, it's just more publicized and reported when it happens now. It's actually happening less often than it was because of rule changes meant to deter fighting, refs ending fights earlier (esp. in the playoffs), everyone wearing helmets, etc. So, I'm not entirely sure what the fuck you're talking about, in short.

Well, play had stopped, so it wasn't during the period. Ergo it's an automatic suspension of 10 games. After reading more about the incident and not basing my information exclusively on PTI and ATH, it looks like the guy was suspended for 6 games and one playoff game. So I was wrong.

I wasn't referring to fighting in general, but to a specific incident which, as I understood it, was indicative of a disregard for the rules of the game in lieu of entertaining an increasingly bloodthirsty audience. It seems however I was mistaken and he was actually penalized, though less than the mandated amount.

/and making a rule that says that all uninvolved players will remain uninvolved or incur penalties isn't what I'd call a significant deterrent
    //the 25k fine in some specific situations however I can see as a deterrent.
  • BrianBrian June 2009
    Yeah... I'm not sure how much you watch, but hockey is a hell of a lot lighter now then it used to be. The change has been pretty drastic too.

The ongoing joke when I was in highschool was that we were watching the NMBEOWSL, or the "National Men Beating Each Other With Sticks League".
  • QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 25 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah... I'm not sure how much you watch, but hockey is a hell of a lot lighter now then it used to be. The change has been pretty drastic too.

The ongoing joke when I was in highschool was that we were watching the NMBEOWSL, or the "National Men Beating Each Other With Sticks League".

bad joke is bad
  • BrianBrian June 2009
    It was there to make a point, not to make you laugh.

The fact that you don't get that does however make me laugh.
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    I see everybody here is upset by the 2 Minute Instigator Penalty.

(click for source)

Notice anything strange?
  • AlfyAlfy June 2009
    The joke we use around here is: I went to a boxing match, and a hockey game broke out.
  • QUOTE (Alfy @ Jun 26 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The joke we use around here is: I went to a boxing match, and a hockey game broke out.

My dad repeats this joke every time there is a fight in a hockey game that we're watching...
  • ErlingErling June 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 25 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well, play had stopped, so it wasn't during the period. Ergo it's an automatic suspension of 10 games. After reading more about the incident and not basing my information exclusively on PTI and ATH, it looks like the guy was suspended for 6 games and one playoff game. So I was wrong.

I wasn't referring to fighting in general, but to a specific incident which, as I understood it, was indicative of a disregard for the rules of the game in lieu of entertaining an increasingly bloodthirsty audience. It seems however I was mistaken and he was actually penalized, though less than the mandated amount.

/and making a rule that says that all uninvolved players will remain uninvolved or incur penalties isn't what I'd call a significant deterrent
    //the 25k fine in some specific situations however I can see as a deterrent.

What game are you talking about? And where are you getting this automatic suspension of 10 games?

Pulling garbage stats on fights per game also doesn't mean anything. There's honestly 2 types of fights in hockey and most fans only like one of them.

a. Two 'tough' guys (many of which are liabilities on the ice for their team) line up on the draw and drop the gloves and fight off the faceoff. No one likes these, they're lame.
    b. Spur of the moment, pushing match after a whistle, after a bad hit, etc. Everyone loves these. Sadly, these are the ones that generally incur instigators since one player generally isn't prepared or inclined to fight.

Pulling up general fight data is useless since there's way more staged fights off faceoffs that don't accomplish anything than real fights anymore due to the instigator rule making it hard for players to police themselves and make dirty players pay for shit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge drop in fighting next year. They're leaving the instigator as is (huge mistake) but they have also said they would like to add rules to get rid of staged fights altogether.

Do you really think fines of $5k-$25k are a deterrent for anything for people making a few million a year?
  • BrianBrian June 2009
    I remember that game. My uncle wouldn't shut up about it for months. He's a huge philly fan.
  • ScabdatesScabdates June 2009
    QUOTE (Erling @ Jun 26 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    What game are you talking about? And where are you getting this automatic suspension of 10 games?

Pulling garbage stats on fights per game also doesn't mean anything. There's honestly 2 types of fights in hockey and most fans only like one of them.

a. Two 'tough' guys (many of which are liabilities on the ice for their team) line up on the draw and drop the gloves and fight off the faceoff. No one likes these, they're lame.
    b. Spur of the moment, pushing match after a whistle, after a bad hit, etc. Everyone loves these. Sadly, these are the ones that generally incur instigators since one player generally isn't prepared or inclined to fight.

Pulling up general fight data is useless since there's way more staged fights off faceoffs that don't accomplish anything than real fights anymore due to the instigator rule making it hard for players to police themselves and make dirty players pay for shit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge drop in fighting next year. They're leaving the instigator as is (huge mistake) but they have also said they would like to add rules to get rid of staged fights altogether.

Do you really think fines of $5k-$25k are a deterrent for anything for people making a few million a year?

Do you honestly sit there and judge fights based on what they accomplished? Are you kidding me?

image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
  • ErlingErling June 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jun 26 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you honestly sit there and judge fights based on what they accomplished? Are you kidding me?

image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Your ignorance astounds me.

You think all fights in hockey are goon vs goon to appease the masses? Are you kidding me?

image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> image/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    QUOTE (Erling @ Jun 26 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pulling on fights per game also doesn't mean anything. There's honestly 2 types of fights in hockey and most fans only like one of them.

Apparently the strategy of fighting in ice hockey escapes you. Perhaps this is a sport that will be more to your liking.
  • ErlingErling June 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 29 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently the strategy of fighting in ice hockey escapes you. Perhaps this is a sport that will be more to your liking.

Good one.
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    Ok, let me elaborate.

Why in the fuck would you let a situation get to the level where a spontaneous fight broke out wherein one of the players you pay 1.2 million dollars a year might get injured *spontaneously* when instead you can send out a big bruiser to deal with it before it gets to that stage.

It's not the rules' fault, it's common sense...

My point is that you've changed your argument from:
    There is less fighting in hockey now than there was before. And this is the fault of the rules.
    to
    There is less fighting *of the type I prefer* in hockey than there was before. And this is the fault of the rules.

I'd also like to point out that the record high average salary for a hockey player was 1.9 million/season. And that at 82 games per season they make $23,170.73 per game. So yes. I'd say a $25,000 fine for fighting in one of those games would in fact be a deterrent.
  • BlackLightBlackLight June 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pzf9VOtz0c

wish i could find a higher quality version of this, but it starts getting awesome around 1.40, particularly when stephen jackson lays out a fan with a nasty right hook. this is what i think of when i think "sports warriors"
    srsly guyz dese hockey playerz fight so lame lol i hate it
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Jun 29 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pzf9VOtz0c

wish i could find a higher quality version of this, but it starts getting awesome around 1.40, particularly when stephen jackson lays out a fan with a nasty right hook. this is what i think of when i think "sports warriors"

what in the hell is going on? It looks like Ron Artest was upset because a guy shoved him, and then took it out on a fan like a minute and a half later, and then they all get chased out of the arena by shit being thrown at them. Am I missing something?
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 30 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    what in the hell is going on? It looks like Ron Artest was upset because a guy shoved him, and then took it out on a fan like a minute and a half later, and then they all get chased out of the arena by shit being thrown at them. Am I missing something?

the fan hit him with a cup full of beer and tons of players were up in the stands beating the shit out of players and jermaine o neal would be a murderer if not for polished basketball court floors
  • NunesNunes June 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jun 30 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    the fan hit him with a cup full of beer and tons of players were up in the stands beating the shit out of players and jermaine o neal would be a murderer if not for polished basketball court floors

Care to explain how this makes them sports warriors? I'm afraid I'm not catching on.
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 30 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Care to explain how this makes them sports warriors? I'm afraid I'm not catching on.

i didn't say they were? your post made it sound like like you were retarded and just couldn't grasp what took place, so i explained it.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jun 30 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i didn't say they were? your post made it sound like like you were retarded and just couldn't grasp what took place, so i explained it.

Yeah, it's a little tricky to tell why he was all pissed at the fan. It still doesn't make sense, but that's because it's Ron Artest.

The "how is he a warrior?" should've been directed at blacklight. Mea culpa.
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    he's a warrior cause he's a fuckin soulja
  • coffeecoffee July 2009
    stephen jackson is literally a Warrior
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jul 1 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    he's a warrior cause he's a fuckin soulja

boy... tell 'em.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    Ladies and gentlemen, sports warriors.
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 7 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ladies and gentlemen, sports warriors.

Gay.
  • KPKP July 2009
    You know what, I am not going to lie...I would watch this

From my other thread about the Tour de France....Those guys are just insane athletes.....insane.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (KarmaPolice @ Jul 7 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You know what, I am not going to lie...I would watch this

From my other thread about the Tour de France....Those guys are just insane athletes.....insane.

It's unfortunately predominantly Russian at the moment, but I've been keeping an eye out for more local events. I bet they are cheap, and totally awesome.

I'll hit you up if I find something I guess.

And yes, being able to make your legs work non-stop for 8 to 12 hours at a time for damn near a month is fucking incredible. Kind of boring, but incredible.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership