router problem
  • WedgeWedge June 2009
    just moved into a new place and i can not use the router. its a netgear router that is hardwired to one other mac and an xbox. there is another lap top that can access wireless.

when i run my mac airport diagnostic it says that i am connected but the internet can not find any servers.

any ideas?
  • romerashromerash June 2009
    go to http://74.125.127.100/ and see if it works, if it does then your dns is screwed up
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    QUOTE (romerash @ Jun 30 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    go to http://74.125.127.100/ and see if it works, if it does then your dns is screwed up

wait, why shouldn't that work?
  • dandan July 2009
    If you can access the website by entering it's IP, that means your DNS (the service that maps the host name to IP) is messed up.

-dan

p.s. Make sure your printer drivers are up to date.
    QUOTE (dan @ Jul 3 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If you can access the website by entering it's IP, that means your DNS (the service that maps the host name to IP) is messed up.

-dan

p.s. Make sure your printer drivers are up to date.

Really? Guess my DNS is screwed up then...

In fact, I've always been able to do this, whether it be with Verizon's default DNS or OpenDNS.
  • ErlingErling July 2009
    Yeah, that seems backwards. If your DNS is messed up it wont redirect domain names to IPs, not the other way around...
  • dandan July 2009
    QUOTE (Erling @ Jul 3 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Yeah, that seems backwards. If your DNS is messed up it wont redirect domain names to IPs, not the other way around...

Obviously, if you can access a site by it's IP, but can't access it normally, it's a DNS issue. That's the issue he's having, I think. Sorry I didn't clarify in my post; I guess I should know by now that you guys are idiots.

-dan
  • cutchinscutchins July 2009
    dan wins.
    i wouldn't say me and erling are "idiots" just that we completely ignore the first post of almost every thread
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership