Baltimore CrossFit
  • GovernorGovernor July 2009
    For those of you in the Maryland/Baltimore area, Phil (and Karen and Fucker Troy, for those familiar) is opening up a CrossFit gym in southern Baltimore on July 25th. Check em out: http://southbaltimorecf.com/
  • jkarate212jkarate212 July 2009
    Time to open one in NH!
  • I'd be there for the opening, but I'll be on the West Coast that week. Sorry, sir.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    I had no idea Phil was doing this. This is quite rad.
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    The core beliefs remind me of MOVNAT. Happens to be my preferred style.

Cool shit.
  • PhilPhil July 2009
    Thank you for the shout out here Court!

And yea Brian, MovNat and Exuberant Animal are very similar in the basic orthopedic movements.

Naturally anyone who can make it to the Grand Opening on July 25th is welcome!

Time to go build some plyo boxes and weightlifting platforms...bbl!
  • jkarate212jkarate212 July 2009
    So what gave you the inspiration to open this gym? Going to start a chain? I think it's an excellent idea.
  • azn+mikeazn mike July 2009
    Start a Chain and bring it to NH image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • azn+mikeazn mike July 2009
    And good luck image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
  • ErlingErling July 2009
    Yeah, overwhelming support here for NH. You should listen to the masses Phil!
  • WedgeWedge July 2009
    congrats and I second the NH idea. I'd go for sure.
  • Damien666Damien666 July 2009
    We just had a new gym open in my area,Planet Fitness best part is its 24 hrs a day.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Damien666 @ Jul 16 2009, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    We just had a new gym open in my area,Planet Fitness best part is its 24 hrs a day.

I tried to care. But damn, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
  • PhilPhil July 2009
    Imagine the opposite of Planet Fitness...and now you can envision the gym I am opening. There are simply not enough derogatory words at my disposal to describe how terrible the Planet Fitness chain is.

I realize the news is stupid also, but at 0:25 in this video you will see the rules posted on the board, and one of their rules is "No Deadlifting". Anyone who knows the first thing about fitness should read those words and run SCREAMING in the opposite direction.

So I can easily see how the "best part" is that its open 24 hours a day. Because the list of good aspects is likely very short.
  • KPKP July 2009
    QUOTE (Phil @ Jul 16 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Imagine the opposite of Planet Fitness...and now you can envision the gym I am opening. There are simply not enough derogatory words at my disposal to describe how terrible the Planet Fitness chain is.

I realize the news is stupid also, but at 0:25 in this video you will see the rules posted on the board, and one of their rules is "No Deadlifting". Anyone who knows the first thing about fitness should read those words and run SCREAMING in the opposite direction.

So I can easily see how the "best part" is that its open 24 hours a day. Because the list of good aspects is likely very short.

Yes Planet Fitness is everything wrong with corporate gyms x 10.

No grunting
    No throwing weights
    And I believe the highest free weight they have is something absurdly low.

My friend goes to one and I went with him once....

Not that everyone should use free weights, but the gym is full of people that are obviously just going through motions and not "grunting"...mostly because they are not putting in any effort. On the plus side for the gym they have a lot less sweat to clean up.

Also the only pull up bar I saw was assisted.

When I was there, I did kinda a intense workout thing..like run a fast 400m, then 10 push ups, 400m, pull ups, and back and forth which required walking across the entire gym as a fast pace back and forth...the staff were concerned.

There is actually a alarm apparently that will go off if you break the rules like making too much noise or whatever.

As charles Barkley would say...that turruble...

Good luck on the gym, if I am ever down that way I'll stop by.
  • Damien666Damien666 July 2009
    never said I liked it. Just said it opened up here.
  • PhilPhil July 2009
    Got some good press at the opening event this past weekend, as well as getting our faces and link on one of the main CF sites!

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/2009...day_090731.html
  • QUOTE (Phil @ Jul 31 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Got some good press at the opening event this past weekend, as well as getting our faces and link on one of the main CF sites!

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/2009...day_090731.html

congrats man, that is a big accomplishment. I hope the best for you and your gym!
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    Hell yeah! Looks like you have some customers. Are those people you guys knew already, or did a bunch of strangers just turn up?
  • PhilPhil July 2009
    About 50-50 on the strangers vs people we knew. Which is great, as we've had 9 people sign up already, hopefully with many more to follow.
  • KPKP August 2009
    QUOTE (Phil @ Jul 31 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    About 50-50 on the strangers vs people we knew. Which is great, as we've had 9 people sign up already, hopefully with many more to follow.

Congrats man, thats a good start. How many sessions are you personally teaching per week?

My back and now leg have put me out of Crossfit for a while image/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />
  • jkarate212jkarate212 August 2009
    Glad to see the progress starting.

This is actually the only Crossfit gym I've heard of, is there actually a series of them around the states or was this you're own idea and motivation?
  • PhilPhil August 2009
    I think we're the 700th or so in the US.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/

The list is on the left, sorted by state/region/country
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership