A new computer
  • PheylanPheylan July 2009
    I'm looking to get a new computer. I need it pretty badly, and I want it as hassle free as I can get it. I honestly have no idea what is good or bad any more in computer specs so I'm hoping someone here can tell me a good route.

A few ground rules:
    - No, I don't want a mac.
    - My budget is about $1000-$1500, after tax, shipping, etc.
    - I want to run the two monitors on it that I have now (two syncmaster 930b)
    - I don't use my computer for as much any more, but I do still play the occasional game, and will most likely play Diablo III when it comes out. That being said performance in gaming is what I want more then anything. Make it powerful.
    - I don't need a mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers or printer, etc. Just the tower and appropriate cables.
    - I'd like a system that comes simple and in one piece, Ie Alienware, Cyberpower, HP, or whatever. I don't know anything about what is good or bad.
    - I want a warranty.
    - Free upgrade to Windows 7 and hard copy of whatever Windows gets loaded on the system.
    - Some later upgradeablility is nice, but not required.
    - Minimum of extra programs on it. Basics, like Windows, Office, Excel, Powerpoint. I don't think I need anything else. None of that dumb crap Dell likes to put on it.

That's it. This would be a big help if anyone can recommend anything. I would even be willing to put in a commission of sorts. Couple of beers to the person that does this or something. I don't. Be creative.
  • maliskmalisk July 2009
    I'd like nothing more than to build you a kickass system (and for what you wan't, I could prolly do it for ~600 or less) but I could never suggest anything other than a custom built system.

Good hunting though...

PS:for the love of God, please do not spend that much on a basic gaming PC!!! For what you want, you shouldnt need to spend more than 1K.

PSS:Heres a small suggestion, at least something to go by. The Phenoms are pretty good, I bought one for my friend and it outdoes my Intel Q6600. Also the ATI 4850 is farely impressive for the cost. I know it comes with a keyboard but most towers you buy will. Also AMD doesnt change their socket very much so should leave room for cpu upgrade in the future, also PCI x16 leaves some room too.
  • AlfyAlfy July 2009
    Yes, you do want a Mac.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    Have you considered getting a dell with Ubuntu preloaded? I don't know if they still include all the dumb dell crap, but I suspect they wouldn't simply because of the huge pain in the ass involved in making them work properly.

I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't buy more than you need, but if you've got 1.5k to spend, you can get a machine that will meet your current needs for a couple years longer than a 1k machine. Just something to consider. People I work with make the mistake of getting the computer that just scrapes by for their needs thinking it'll cut mustard for as long as they treat it well. But we're in an upswing in the rate of technology advancements at the moment, so it's really just a personal balancing game.

At the high end, 512 MB video cards might be the sweet spot. At the low end you don't want to drop below 256, and that might not handle DIII when it comes out. PCI-e is crucial, if you can even find other cards anymore...

I'm a big fan of Seagate hard drives. They just updated their firmware whose last two iterations were plagued by issues. They have a retarded fast access speed two-platter terabyte drive. It's tits. Their 1.5 TB Barracuda is <150 bucks, and is what I'm rockin' at home. Big fan since that firmware update...

I don't know a WHOLE lot about processors, or game requirements therefore really. Since the whole core 2 duo thing, the numbers don't quite mean as much as they used to.

I also don't know much about prebuilt systems that aren't Dells... and that's only because I work with them.

Feel free to nitpick my advice guys. I don't have specific models, but maybe you can use some of these stats to look for a prebuilt. Good luck.
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    If you buy a Dell computer, I will personally see to it that your first born child is crucified.
  • PheylanPheylan July 2009
    Dell and Gateway were both over priced and not customizable enough. HP wasn't bad. I think the one I'm going to get, and it's more then I originally wanted to spend, is one built by Digital Storm. I tried to add up the parts and software on NewEgg to compare the cost of building it myself, and there is not a whole lot of difference in price. If anyone has any comments or recommendations, or thinks they can build a similar system cheaper...The specs I've settled on are:

Chassis Model: Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
    Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
    Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
    Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
    System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
    Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
    Card Reader: - No Thanks
    Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
    Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
    Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
    Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
    Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
    Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
    Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
    Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (216 Cores) (Includes PhysX Technology)
    Add-on Card: - No Thanks
    Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
    Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
    Liquid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
    Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
    Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
    Enhancements: - No Thanks
    Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
    CPU Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
    Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
    Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
    Windows Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
    Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
    Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
    Virus Protection: McAfee Internet Security (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and AntiSpyware)
    Office: - No Thanks
    Benchmarking: - No Thanks
    Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
    LCD Display: - No Thanks
    Surge Shield: - No Thanks
    Speakers: - No Thanks
    Keyboard: - No Thanks
    Mouse: - No Thanks
    External Storage: - No Thanks
    Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
    Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
    Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    I'm not going to sort through their fine print, but make sure that installing new ram or new vid cards and the like won't void your warranty. I'm about 90% sure it will, unfortunately.

The last thing you want to do is try to go SLI only to void your warranty, or try to go SLI only to have them tell you that you must ship to them and pay them for the install in order to keep your warranty!
  • I'm more of a fan of AMD atm than intel. The phenom II processors seem to me to have more bang for the buck than the corei7s.

edit: this is regarding pheylan's post not malisk's
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    You'll want to immediately remove McAfee and install something that actually works. Otherwise that's much more shit than I thought you'd want. Dowit.

/Yeah, Dell's are shit. But IME, so are most pre-builts...
  • dandan July 2009
    You should check out the new Macbooks. They're pretty awesome.

-dan
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (dan @ Jul 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You should check out the new Macbooks. They're pretty awesome.
    -dan

My favorite feature:
    Non-removable batteries.
  • AlfyAlfy July 2009
    Apple will replace your battery for you for free... http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

What is the point of bitching about that? Unless you need ultra portability with your machine, and are going to be somewhere without electricity for long periods of time, and if that is the case, might I introduce you to the Macbook Air?
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Jul 21 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Apple will replace your battery for you for free... http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/service/battery/

What is the point of bitching about that? Unless you need ultra portability with your machine, and are going to be somewhere without electricity for long periods of time, and if that is the case, might I introduce you to the Macbook Air?

Rooting out the fanbois, mostly.

How you doin?

I guess I can address the actual question though, instead of just being a dick. Many people purchase laptops with the intention of taking them with them while they travel, sometimes on planes where they will "be somewhere without electricity for long periods of time". The Dell Latitude D630 they issue here at Gore comes with a 9 cell battery installed and a second 6 cell as well. You can purchase a 12 cell, if you're going on absurdly long trips. If you start taking long trips with the Macbook you dropped 1500 bucks on while you were in college, you will soon find that it would be super nice to have the option of slapping another one in there. And then your option seems to be listen to the hype and buy a macbook air for another grand and change. It's not about servicing, it's about scalability, which I appreciate in my technology. While not necessary for everybody this kind of decision making is crippling Apple's (completely legit IMO) capability to make inroads in both laptop and desktop sales numbers.

As far as macbook air is concerned.
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    you're an idiot if you don't think apple laptops are the greatest thing ever
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership