That unfortunate cop thing on the news
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    But it's generated over a thousand comments on Fark, so here we go.

Off to the races.

So the Prof. was coming home and his nosy neighbors reported a burglary in progress so the Popo came. They asked the Prof. for ID, and the Prof. got pissy, then got ID.

IMO at this point, the confrontation should've been over. No burglary here, buh bye. Nice day Prof. so-and-so. But someone was too douchy and the cops did what cops do and arrested the man. Nothing will come of this. But Obama commented on it so we should all obsess over every nuance for at least a week.

/Races?
    //get it?
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    I preface this by saying this is opinion. Who knows what actually went down at the guys house. But it seems like the following:

This is just an example of piss poor police work. If you can't reign in your emotions when dealing with people, you should not be a cop. I agree with you Andrew. No crime was being committed, it was being insinuated that the old man was breaking into his own home, so it is understandable that he is upset. All done, reassure the neighbors, leave knowing everything is fine.

The charge of "disorderly conduct" is just further proof that the cop simply didn't like the guy in my opinion. Disorderly conduct is one of the blanket charges in the states used to justify an arrest for practically anything.

Also, I don't care if the guy is Obama's friend or whatever. (Another guy being accused of racism is a friend of Obama? How many are there?) Obama absolutely should not have weighed in on this publicly at all. Like us, he has little to no real information on it, and his reasoning was that the man was at his own home, and middle aged, therefore he should not be handcuffed.

Way to make yourself look like a fucking idiot to every cop in America. The handcuffing is likely procedural before putting the man in a car, and him being on his own property has nothing to do with him breaking the law.

So in this case, both the cop's actions AND Obama's response completely piss me off.
  • coffeecoffee July 2009
    imo this is just an incident of one or both men being dicks. these things happen AUL the time. it shouldn't even be news but of course Obama fucks it up
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    High Five for Brian.

I have but two things to add, and that's my overall assessment of the police situation in the US being confirmed further, followed by an additional aside.

1. Cop wrongfully detains a dude (proof of this is in the speed of his release. 2 hours? bullshit charge.)
    2. Dude pisses and moans with the President behind him. President is retarded. But ...probably... correct. Insofar as this arrest was really dumb. Which is mostly what he said.
    3. Cop REFUSES to apologize. As though it could possibly come back to bite him in the ass with the union at his back.
    4. Entire committee of police get behind him and say that OBAMA should apologize for making waves.

The police shouldn't get in a pissing match with the President over something this trivial... Just say you're sorry for the mistake, and get on with your lives.

Additionally, it's pretty shitty to ask a guy to come outside to yell at you, and then thank him for complying before arresting him for falling for you trick. It means they were GOING to arrest him. Or at least try a slew of this kind of stuff on him to see what they could get.

"Do you want to hold my gun?"
    "OH SHIT YES! AWESOME."
    "GET HIM! HE'S GOT MY GUN!"
  • WedgeWedge July 2009
    here is the police report

We arrest people and release them in two hours, for all kinds of crimes.

I think i would have acted the same way as the responding officer. Not say I would have for sure arrest the guy but the police officer was not wrong in any action here.
  • ScabdatesScabdates July 2009
    i honestly think if obama talking about it legitimately upsets you then that's hilarious
  • crazyd1415crazyd1415 July 2009
    he didn't get beat with a nightstick, tazed, or have a broom stick shoved up his ass so what is the problem?
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    I'm sorry to say that just because it is in the report does not make the police report completely accurate. I have dealt with many police officers (as well as security and loss prevention personnel) who are very adept at writing their reports to place them in the right 100% of the time. It is not hard. I have never faked a report, nor have I ever needed to, nor will I ever need to. But I will say this. If for some reason I was stupid enough to fuck up and then additionally stupid enough to try to cover said fuck up, it would be a simple thing to make the report look peachy-keen to any eyes that were not on scene.

It has been my experience that no one will write themselves into a lecture or possible demotion or suspension. No officer asked to write a supplemental will write themselves or their fellow officer into that position either. Personally I'd like to see some witness statements as supplementals to the police report. Notice how there were 7 bystandards, yet not one of them appears in a supplemental to justify the actions of the officer. Not even the initial complainant. Fishy to me!

Also, Obama talking about it in such a manner upsets me because the man should be, and IS, smarter then that. He's the fucking president. Showing personal bias against police procedures and an arrest he has little to no information for, is... pointless. There is nothing to be gained by it.
  • TheDeamonTheDeamon July 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It has been my experience that no one will write themselves into a lecture or possible demotion or suspension. No officer asked to write a supplemental will write themselves or their fellow officer into that position either. Personally I'd like to see some witness statements as supplementals to the police report. Notice how there were 7 bystandards, yet not one of them appears in a supplemental to justify the actions of the officer. Not even the initial complainant. Fishy to me!

The initial complainant is mentioned by name in the police report, and likely has a 911 call associated with it, or otherwise a dispatch call that was probably logged/recorded in a manner outside the immediate scope of that report.

There were 7 bystanders, there were multiple officers from Cambridge AND Harvard University present at the point in time that the "disorderly conduct" arrest occurred. While the Cambridge PD would have cause for the wall of blue silience on the matter, I'm not so sure Harvard's people would be so compelled(if anything, I'd think they'd be under pressure from the top to back the Prof). If the disorderly conduct portion of that report is in error, I think we'll be hearing about it sooner rather than later.

As to the officers filing the report without civilian testimony to back it up, generally speaking, they only take statements from civilians when no law-enforcement personnel were present to witness it themselves first hand. they may document who else was present for follow up purposes, but the officers testimony is the primary source they're going to look to first.

Also, Obama talking about it in such a manner upsets me because the man should be, and IS, smarter then that. He's the fucking president. Showing personal bias against police procedures and an arrest he has little to no information for, is... pointless. There is nothing to be gained by it.

Would it help to know that he is friends with the Harvard Professor in question?

So it's his friend's word against the cops.

---------------------

Likewise with the disorderly conduct charge, keep in mind that sometimes it isn't used to punish people persay, but it is rather used to prevent them from doing harm to themselves or others.

It just gives the Officer a legal tool by which to momentarily take away their freedom to make choices on their own until they've cooled off/sobered up/whatever else. Basically cuff them, forcibly remove them from the situation, let them stew in it for a little while, drop the charge and let them go on their merry way.
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 24 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm sorry to say that just because it is in the report does not make the police report completely accurate. I have dealt with many police officers (as well as security and loss prevention personnel) who are very adept at writing their reports to place them in the right 100% of the time. It is not hard. I have never faked a report, nor have I ever needed to, nor will I ever need to. But I will say this. If for some reason I was stupid enough to fuck up and then additionally stupid enough to try to cover said fuck up, it would be a simple thing to make the report look peachy-keen to any eyes that were not on scene.

It has been my experience that no one will write themselves into a lecture or possible demotion or suspension. No officer asked to write a supplemental will write themselves or their fellow officer into that position either.
    Personally I'd like to see some witness statements as supplementals to the police report. Notice how there were 7 bystandards, yet not one of them appears in a supplemental to justify the actions of the officer. Not even the initial complainant. Fishy to me!

this is the problem with america's police force, when even the "good cops" won't tell on the "bad cops"
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    Fuck DA Police.

The only appropriate response to a group of people whose sole job is protecting the interests of the rich.

FUCK EM
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Fuck DA Police.

The only appropriate response to a group of people whose sole job is protecting the interests of the rich.

FUCK EM

God I hate you.

And lawl Daemon, your post shows many of the differences between the American and Canadian justice systems that would make me un-easy to be a civilian dealing with a cop in the states.

this is the problem with america's police force, when even the "good cops" won't tell on the "bad cops"

Its incredibly unfortunate that if the good cops tell on the bad cops, they essentially commit career suicide.
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Fuck DA Police.

FUCK EM

Clearly they failed in this case.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stori.../24/daily3.html

In 2006, the average salary for "full professors" (Which I'm sure this guys is) at Harvard was $168,700 / year. Which I'm doubtful on that number including any expense account benefits they have access to for conducting research or going to/attending speaking engagements or conventions/seminars in their particular field of study. And then of course there are streams of income to consider for particular well known academics, such as getting paid to be a speaker at a conference/seminar, residuals from books/articles they have published and so on. I'm sure you'd find Professor Gates is probably clearing considerably better than $200K/year once all things get considered. This is no poor oppressed black man we're talking about.

Likewise, Professor Gates evidently falls under the "powerful" category as well, since media reports indicate he is good friends with the current Governor of Massachusetts as well as the President of the United States and who knows how many other high powered politicians.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    How did the police fail to protect the highest levels of power's interests? Black man wrongly jailed? Check. Police authority reinforced by media coverage of event? Check. Black president siding with the Black professor, causing division within the population over who is "right"? Check.

Guys, it worked out just like it's suppose to when something like this happens within our system. Sides are taken and any debate to be had about the real issues, like what the fuck is a police officer doing arresting someone on their own property after resolving the call he received, gets pushed to the side and instead it becomes about race and what the black man did to be arrested. I say fuck that, no one should be arrested for expressing themselves to another person, even a cop.

I have nothing against any individual police officer, but hate the institution they use to wield power because it is set up to allow officers individual judiciary power.

All I'm trying to say is these institutions, like law enforcement, erode our freedom to be individuals and indoctrinate people into roles to perpetuate a system erected to keep the rich and poor at the proportions most adventitious to the rich.

Edit: Forgot this part- FUCK THE POLICE
    Maybe I've been biased by overplay of the race card where blacks are concerned. I've personally seen that card so overplayed that I'm very inclined to side with the Police Officer in this case.

The Hispanic and Black Police officers that arrived on scene shortly after Officer Crowley did were there and able to overhear much of the exchange in the Professor's house and all of what happened outside where the Disorderly conduct charge occurred. They backed Officer Crowley's call on that, but then we have the "blue wall of silence" counter-claim on that one.

This was a no-win for Cops from the moment Officer Crowley(who is White) was the first responder, because he was a white man responding to an incident involving a black man with a racial prejudice bone to pick.

It probably would have been a non-news item if the Hispanic and/or Black Officer had been the first responder as I doubt the Professor would have played the race card against either one of them.

Racism can very much be a two way thing. Maybe you've never encountered it(because you are in one of those overwhelmingly white areas), maybe you've simply never noticed it, or when you saw it, you didn't know what you actually saw because you weren't there to see it from start to finish.

Much like there are a lot of (white) people who feel they are entitled to special dispensations where customer service is concerned and get belligerent when they don't get it, there are plenty of black people who are just as bad, only when they don't get what they (unreasonably) expect they immediately accuse the offending party of being racist and turn it into a race issue.

Chicken Little and the sky is falling come to mind. While in stationed Southern California I saw more than enough of the "You aren't doing _____ because I'm black!" Happen when I knew full well I wouldn't have been able to get the person they were accosting to do that for me either, and I'm white.
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 25 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And lawl Daemon, your post shows many of the differences between the American and Canadian justice systems that would make me un-easy to be a civilian dealing with a cop in the states.

Like this?

Canada Criminal Code, Part 5 section 175

QUOTE (Canada Criminal Code)
    Causing disturbance, indecent exhibition, loitering, etc.

175. (1) Every one who

(a) not being in a dwelling-house, causes a disturbance in or near a public place,

(i) by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,

(ii) by being drunk, or

(iii) by impeding or molesting other persons,

(B) openly exposes or exhibits an indecent exhibition in a public place,

© loiters in a public place and in any way obstructs persons who are in that place, or

(d) disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in a public place or who, not being an occupant of a dwelling-house comprised in a particular building or structure, disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house comprised in the building or structure by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in any part of a building or structure to which, at the time of such conduct, the occupants of two or more dwelling-houses comprised in the building or structure have access as of right or by invitation, express or implied,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Evidence of peace officer

(2) In the absence of other evidence, or by way of corroboration of other evidence, a summary conviction court may infer from the evidence of a peace officer relating to the conduct of a person or persons, whether ascertained or not, that a disturbance described in paragraph (1)(a) or (d) or an obstruction described in paragraph (1)© was caused or occurred.
    R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 175; 1997, c. 18, s. 6.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    How are you siding with the police officer? What side does he represent?

He used an excessive amount of authority in a situation which appeared to resolve itself within minutes of him being on the scene. But no, THIS UNRULY NEGRO, he had the audacity to yell at these police officers so they, in-turn, escalated the situation that needed no further intervention from the police. The black guy in his home bitching about "fucking whitie pigs keepin the black man down" to a cop should never be arrested, no matter the vocab used.

I use the term "unruly negro" only because that is how the police report portrays his actions. The officer seems completely bewildered about a situation where a black man in an affluent area, within his home, might take offense to a white officer acting authoritative while investigating the black man as the possible suspect. No, truly us whites will never understand the black race, they couldn't possibly be people, with all the conditions being a person entails.
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The officer seems completely bewildered about a situation where a man in an affluent area, within his home, might take offense to a police officer acting authoritative while investigating the man as the possible suspect.

Fixed.

Of course, that same fix also demonstrates why "race relations" will probably never be a true meeting of equals until well after the currently living generations of people are dead.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    I get your fix but as you pointed out, I was highlighting the problem.

The officer would have understood an uppity white mom being pissy about being the possible suspect; the black guy being pissy though just doesn't fit the same reasoning.
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I get your fix but as you pointed out, I was highlighting the problem.

The officer would have understood an uppity white mom being pissy about being the possible suspect; the black guy being pissy though just doesn't fit the same reasoning.

Well the white mom would have grounds to be pissy if the reported person breaking in was male(of any race) and she's getting investigated, and considering the comparative lack of female burglars in general(they do exist, but are rarer)...

The more comparable one would be a White Male Homeowner getting investigated as the suspect when it was reported that a white male was seen trying to break into his house.

And I seem to recall one of the (white male) talking heads making a comment about his experience accidentally setting off the burglar alarm at his house prompting a police visit where he was then asked by the Police to prove his identity... And the police then asked if they could come inside to check things out to make sure everything was OK(making sure he wasn't actually in duress with an armed burglar in the house), even after he apologized for the false alarm.

If it had been this professor, I'd expect him to be screaming at the officers for having shown up as he would have already reported it as being a false alarm. Would have accused the responding officer of racial profiling when asking for proof of ID(which he actually did do in this case), and then would have accused the Officers of wanting to "check things out" so they could search it for contraband simply because he's black.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Well the white mom would have grounds to be pissy if the reported person breaking in was male(of any race) and she's getting investigated, and considering the comparative lack of female burglars in general(they do exist, but are rarer)...

The more comparable one would be a White Male Homeowner getting investigated as the suspect when it was reported that a white male was seen trying to break into his house.

And I seem to recall one of the (white male) talking heads making a comment about his experience accidentally setting off the burglar alarm at his house prompting a police visit where he was then asked by the Police to prove his identity... And the police then asked if they could come inside to check things out to make sure everything was OK(making sure he wasn't actually in duress with an armed burglar in the house), even after he apologized for the false alarm.

There sure are a lot of 58 year old black men that rob houses. That bold part is where this guy probably got uppity in this story. He didn't set off any alarms so he may not have been expecting to met a police officer that day.

QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If it had been this professor, I'd expect him to be screaming at the officers for having shown up as he would have already reported it as being a false alarm. Would have accused the responding officer of racial profiling when asking for proof of ID(which he actually did do in this case), and then would have accused the Officers of wanting to "check things out" so they could search it for contraband simply because he's black.

Sure just take the police officers' word for it.

and some comedy from that city's finest:
    http://gawker.com/5322447/cambridge-cops-u...y-plate-why+tee
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    There sure are a lot of 58 year old black men that rob houses. That bold part is where this guy probably got uppity in this story. He didn't set off any alarms so he may not have been expecting to met a police officer that day.

Quite possibly so, all the same, everything seen so far, including his comments after the arrest point to him having almost immediately jumped to "racial profiling" upon that Officer arriving on scene.

Sure just take the police officers' word for it.

Alternately, "A black man said a white guy is a racist, therefore the white guy must be racist."

and some comedy from that city's finest:
    http://gawker.com/5322447/cambridge-cops-u...y-plate-why+tee

Reading the comments on that one:

i have plenty of problems with what happened here in cambridge last week, and i'm much more sympathetic to gates than crowley. but this is just silliness. clueless, really.

michael "whitey" daniliuk is a good good friend of mine and my family and many cantabridgians of all stripes. he grew up as a very fair ukrainian kid IN THE PROJECTS, hence the nickname. he's about as far from a racist as you can get -- among other things, he worked serving unprivileged youth (many "of color") for well over a decade in cambridge teen centers -- and the funny thing is, he's probably one of the few cops on the CPD who would even THINK about breaking rank to get behind the perspective that racial profiling is real and so is police abuse of power.

c'mon, dude. you could have asked him. what do you expect? that he should change his license plate in light of this week's events, despite having had this nickname for 30 years.

or another friend that happened across it:

I know this officer very well. He needs no "cluing in" on race relations. He grew up in public housing surrounded by the racial diversity Cambridge is known for, including many African-Americans, Jamaican-Americans, Haitian-Americans, Italian-Americans, and Irish-Americans. He was given the name at a young age by folks in the neighborhood because his hair was so light as a kid. He has worked his entire career, from the time he was a youth center counselor to his appointment to the Cambridge Police, to teach young people the value of friendships that transcend race and to bring the city's neighborhoods together. I have watched Whitey many time diffuse delicate and charged situations with a sincerity, good humor, and diplomacy that few people possess. Perhaps above all, he is an outstanding and dedicated father who works very hard to support his family and his community.

And google finds 3 hits for that name currently, most notably:
    http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPD/News/newsDe...m?story_id=1672
    Trevor Daniliuk made a great save in the final attempt to secure the Championship for his team, and his coach (Father) Mike “Whitey” Daniliuk.

Such a hotbed of racisim in the Cambridge PD.
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Quite possibly so, all the same, everything seen so far, including his comments after the arrest point to him having almost immediately jumped to "racial profiling" upon that Officer arriving on scene.

Alternately, "A black man said a white guy is a racist, therefore the white guy must be racist."

Reading the comments on that one:

or another friend that happened across it:

And google finds 3 hits for that name currently, most notably:
    http://www.cambridgema.gov/CPD/News/newsDe...m?story_id=1672

Such a hotbed of racisim in the Cambridge PD.

i have black friends i can't be racist
  • EvestayEvestay July 2009
    I guess I don't understand how you can be disturbing the peace when you are in your own home.
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Jul 25 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I guess I don't understand how you can be disturbing the peace when you are in your own home.

He was standing outside of his front door at the point he was arrested for disorderly conduct. So presumably, he was on his porch rather than inside the house. It is splitting hairs, but it is what it is.
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Jul 25 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i have black friends i can't be racist

"I have black friends who gave me a derogatory nickname that has stuck with me."

Is the one I think you're looking for in this case.

And for someone serving in that kind of capacity(counseling), a nick name like that could actually serve as reasonably effective ice breaker with the people you're working with as you can "tell the story" about why that's your (nick)name. Helps provide credibility for you when dealing with those kids, as its a "Yes, I've been there and lived through it myself" kind of thing.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    Confused and bewildered by your posts.

Better not compare a white woman to a black man when discussing breaking into houses in rich neighborhoods. If I was a white chick I know now where to make the loot. No one would suspect a thing, least of all deamon.
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Confused and bewildered by your posts.

Better not compare a white woman to a black man when discussing breaking into houses in rich neighborhoods. If I was a white chick I know now where to make the loot. No one would suspect a thing, least of all deamon.

If you're a woman (of any race) audacious enough to break into a house with infant/child in tow, more power to you.

The odds of that one occurring(and be an illegal break-in) are rather small. The low likelihood of it occurring is why it makes a poor comparison, it is not likely you will ever hear of such a thing happening(and if it does happen, you undoubtedly WILL hear about it).

Now white female w/out child is another matter, but that isn't what he specified.

Low odds is also why the like-like comparison was largely restricted to men in my usage.

Chances of a white male living in a residence and being present when someone reports a white male attempting to break into said residence? Reasonably good.

Same story for black male living in a residence and being present when someone reports a black male attempting to break into said residence(as happened with the Professor).

Chances of a white female living in a residence and being present when someone reports a white female attempting to break into her residence? Not so good, unless the white female "burglar" is the resident in question.

Comparable story for black females and burglars.

There are enough male burglars out there that chances of "like race meeting like race" in such a scenario is likely. Female burglars are rare enough that chances of them having a "like race meeting like race" event is unlikely.

IE it is far more likely the police would get a report of a white or black male burglar attempting to break into a house and arrive on scene to find a woman present in the house. She's not going to "meet the profile" that the reporting party gave them, not making her a likely suspect. They may ask for her ID regardless, but she's going to be low on the suspect list.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    You clearly understand what I'm saying which is why I don't understand how you don't get that the officer's actions aren't acceptable:
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 24 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It just gives the Officer a legal tool by which to momentarily take away their freedom to make choices on their own until they've cooled off/sobered up/whatever else. Basically cuff them, forcibly remove them from the situation, let them stew in it for a little while, drop the charge and let them go on their merry way.

The fuck kind of country am I living in where people think the police should have this power?

Edit: To be clear, it's not about race, though race is a major factor in police abusing their given authority. The main issue in this story should be this man's opinion being silenced. I believe race was the catalyst in this situation highlighting the power differentials in play, though this catalyst seems, at least at this point, introduced by the professor.
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 25 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The fuck kind of country am I living in where people think the police should have this power?

Edit: To be clear, it's not about race, though race is a major factor in police abusing their given authority. The main issue in this story should be this man's opinion being silenced. I believe race was the catalyst in this situation highlighting the power differentials in play, though this catalyst seems, at least at this point, introduced by the professor.

Those statutes have existed in various forms for well over 100 years in most states, some predating the United States itself. (The US has no federal Civil Disturbance laws, they're done at the state level in the US). That being said, in the United States they've been struck down, altered, or otherwise had charges/convictions struck down on first Amendment Grounds. A large number of them were also altered in the 1960's and 1970's because of Civil Liberty concerns & abuses (such as some of the Jim Crowe laws) as well.

Civil Disturbance charges are the most frequent ones made from what I've seen, they're also the most frequently dropped before going to court. (which would be in line with some of its intended use -- keeping people from getting into deeper trouble rather than punishing them)

Of course, due to its very broad and subjective nature, it also is the most abused(which accounts for a number of those charges also being dropped).

But keep in mind, it is (what are now) the Civil Disturbance laws that allowed the police to lock up "Billy the town drunk" over night before he could start those bar room brawls. In order for him to get locked up in there(arrested), he has to be charged with something first, and that would be the tool they've used historically to do that. That also is a major factor why "drunk in public" is present in practically every civil disturbance law you can find. Everything else can vary wildly, Canada's Civil disturbance law is considerably more broad than the American versions for the most part(as it has to conform to the 1st Amendment among others).
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "I have black friends who gave me a derogatory nickname that has stuck with me."

Is the one I think you're looking for in this case.

i was referring to the fact that you were giving examples of friends of the officer saying he wasn't racist (some of the reasoning including his proximity to the african american community)

which is really, really funny because it's pretty similar to the argument that someone can't be racist if they have friends that are <insert race here>

QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And for someone serving in that kind of capacity(counseling), a nick name like that could actually serve as reasonably effective ice breaker with the people you're working with as you can "tell the story" about why that's your (nick)name. Helps provide credibility for you when dealing with those kids, as its a "Yes, I've been there and lived through it myself" kind of thing.

i have no what the hell you're talking about at this point

tl;dr race is a social construction
  • cutchinscutchins July 2009
    I think the license plate is funny and I see nothing wrong with it. I also think it has nothing at all to do with the incident in question.
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    Wow, I've been busy with work the past couple of days and haven't had a chance to read the forums... and yet with so many words in this thread, very little of note has been said.

I don't know why you pointed out that charge to me daemon. I wasn't saying blanket charges don't exist here. I was referring to your "catch and release" philosophy on policing.

I really think you need to realize that the legal ability to arrest someone does not mean you SHOULD arrest someone. This case is simply a perfect example.

As for the whole racism thing, I still highly doubt racism had anything to do with his motivation for arrest.

As for zoidberg... lawl.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As for the whole racism thing, I still highly doubt racism had anything to do with his motivation for arrest.

As for zoidberg... lawl.

2 things.

1. This arrest was a DC/CoC arrest. Disorderly Conduct as Contempt of Cop. The only racist element was the neighbors calling it in as "two black men". Without that factor, this might be profiling, but the Prof. didn't know that. So if I were him, I might think "profiling" too.

2. I'm consistently impressed by how easy it is to rile up police on the internet. I often wonder if this translates to their interactions with individuals in real life.

/"wonder"
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    Mass. Disorderly Conduct Law
    Section 59. Whoever remains in a street or elsewhere in a town in wilful violation of an ordinance or by-law of such town or of any rule or regulation for the government or use of any public reservation, parkway or boulevard made under authority of law by any department, officer or board in charge thereof, whoever is in a street or elsewhere in a town in wilful violation of an ordinance or by-law of such town or of any rule or regulation for the government or use of any public reservation, parkway or boulevard made under authority of law by any department, officer or board in charge thereof, the substance of which is the drinking or possession of alcoholic beverage, and whoever in a street or other public place accosts or addresses another person with profane or obscene language, in wilful violation of an ordinance or by-law of such town, may be arrested without a warrant by an officer authorized to serve criminal process in the place where the offence is committed and kept in custody until he can be taken before a court having jurisdiction of the offence.

You'll immediately notice how it's actually farther reaching than the Canadian law you cited.

Don't cuss outside, you can get arrested, and all the pursuant bullshit that comes with it.

*FUCK! ASS!*
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    As for zoidberg... lawl.

"You lawlin' me boyh?"[attachment=37:emot_cop.gif]
  • BrianBrian July 2009
    QUOTE (Zoidberg @ Jul 27 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "You lawlin' me boyh?"[attachment=37:emot_cop.gif]

LOL, ok, that was good. image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> image/laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Also Andrew, as bad as this may sound, and as much as I regret having to place cops in this pile...

I think the "riled up" issue applies to anyone who usually has some way of exercising their authority over someone. On the internet, said people have no way to exert said authority during completely lawful discussions/arguments/flame wars. This causes them to have to fall back to other ways to deal with the individual, which are often sorely lacking, causing frustration/anger. Obviously this doesn't apply to all such authoritative figures, but I'd bet much on it being a large factor for many.

As they say; when your only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail.

I don't include myself in this category (yet, and hopefully never) thankfully. I just find it impossible to argue with those who think the fundamental principals behind policing or other aspects of society are wrong, yet do not provide reasonable alternatives to the situation. Its not that I am always inclined to disagree, but until some sort of solution is at least being proposed, the whole conversation is moot.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 28 2009, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Its not that I am always inclined to disagree, but until some sort of solution is at least being proposed, the whole conversation is moot.

De-couple income from seizures.
    Boom, 30% of the problems would go away. The motivation to sit around in a hole in the wall side of the street at the bottom of a hill in a 35 vanishes into thin air. The motivation to seize not only a pot dealers drugs, but his car, money, pets, girlfriend, is lessened.

It would make it easier to root out crooked cops since it wouldn't negatively effect the whole station to out them.
  • sac916sac916 July 2009
    QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 28 2009, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't include myself in this category (yet, and hopefully never) thankfully. I just find it impossible to argue with those who think the fundamental principals behind policing or other aspects of society are wrong, yet do not provide reasonable alternatives to the situation. Its not that I am always inclined to disagree, but until some sort of solution is at least being proposed, the whole conversation is moot.

There are alternatives, but the problem faced with addressing these alternatives is people know what they have now. Who would want to change their situation? Until a greater number of people can answer that question in the affirmative, you don't get change. However, as you will see in the up coming years this issue will be raised more frequently due to increases in the people that aren't helped by society. You see this happen in every economic depression. As unemployment continues to rise, citizens will turn toward communities for support when state and federal support fails. These communities build capital independent of the system employed by the state. When capital in these communities reaches an imposing enough amount to threaten the current system to distribute capital, those empowered by the current system must take action to subdue those in these communities (think crack rock in the 80's). The solution to this is educating people before a natural progression of events take place.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    Let me add to my previous proposition that I'd like it to be much more difficult for police to initiate contact.
    Any questions not pertaining to the crime at hand? Everything is thrown out. Don't like it? Do your job right.
    Want to come into my house? Get a warrant before you even ask, and warrants require some civilian report. You can't generate them internally.

Keep going with that theme across the board and you can eliminate any opportunity for corruption. Reduces the number of cops who become cops to exercise their authority, and increases the number of cops who become cops to serve and protect.

If you're having fun being a cop, you're probably doing something immoral.
  • WedgeWedge July 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 27 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    2 things.

1. This arrest was a DC/CoC arrest. Disorderly Conduct as Contempt of Cop. The only racist element was the neighbors calling it in as "two black men". Without that factor, this might be profiling, but the Prof. didn't know that. So if I were him, I might think "profiling" too.

2. I'm consistently impressed by how easy it is to rile up police on the internet. I often wonder if this translates to their interactions with individuals in real life.

/"wonder"

"one looking kinda hispanic" was the one thing of race mentioned by the caller

911 call

• NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 28 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "one looking kinda hispanic" was the one thing of race mentioned by the caller

911 call

Saw that on the news yesterday. Curious then that the responding officers' report states that the 911 call specified black. Could be construed as a falsified report.
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 28 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Saw that on the news yesterday. Curious then that the responding officers' report states that the 911 call specified black. Could be construed as a falsified report.

Probably would need the actual dispatch tapes for that one, it's possible the dispatcher changed it.

It's also possible she decided they were black between the time she got off the phone and talked to the officer so he was told(by her) they were black when he got there.

The "other tape" that may exist, which I'd be interested in is the one of the Professor evidently calling the Cambridge Police department. Depending on the number he dialed, it may very well have been recorded too.
  • WedgeWedge July 2009
    or it could just be he didn't remember everything perfect and it didn't change the outcome of anything
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 28 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    or it could just be he didn't remember everything perfect and it didn't change the outcome of anything

Then it's awfully curious of you to bring it up, isn't it?
  • WedgeWedge July 2009
    i really only do it to correct you when you think you are right. thats all.
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 28 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i really only do it to correct you when you think you are right. thats all.

well thank you for wasting everyone's time
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 28 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i really only do it to correct you when you think you are right. thats all. [b]more information is made available after you post.[b]

You fight that good fight, champ.
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (TheDeamon @ Jul 25 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    This was a no-win for Cops from the moment Officer Crowley(who is White) was the first responder, because he was a white man responding to an incident involving a black man with a racial prejudice bone to pick.

I really shouldn't go back and read these things. But that is HILARIOUS. Yes... the poor downtrodden White Male Police Officer. Truly the only one in this situation who was WRONGED by the powerful black man with all the authority...

There's absolutely no reason to believe a police officer in Mass. might be a racist.
    For these afflicted with a short attention span:
    "(Gates') first priority should be to get off the phone and comply with police, for if I was the officer he verbally assaulted like a ... jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."
    ~Officer Justin Barrett, 36, Boston PD, District B-3

Of note:
    The officer has had a badge with the department for two years and received extensive training in racial profiling prevention while in the academy.

It's definitely those uppity black folks who are racists. I mean, it's just ludicrous to think that one of US, a powerful white male, might just have some predetermined racial bias. This is the most egregious form of racism seen in this country today. Black people, overplaying the race card, crying wolf, playing chicken "the-sky-is-falling" little games with the mainstream MSM media!

/mockery is a *great* way for me to start the second half of my afternoon.
  • QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 30 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Of note:
    It's definitely those uppity black folks who are racists. I mean, it's just ludicrous to think that one of US, a powerful white male, might just have some predetermined racial bias. This is the most egregious form of racism seen in this country today. Black people, overplaying the race card, crying wolf, playing chicken "the-sky-is-falling" little games with the mainstream MSM media!

I'm really going to need you to start using sarcasm tags... I'm having a hard time telling whether your post was all sarcastic or if only part of it was sarcastic.

//The internet, tough on sarcasm since 1969
  • NunesNunes July 2009
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Jul 30 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jul 30 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Of note:

I'm really going to need you to start using sarcasm tags... I'm having a hard time telling whether your post was all sarcastic or if only part of it was sarcastic.

//The internet, tough on sarcasm since 1969

I bolded the clues.

At least I'm not making these things into word searches...

StopArrestingMe: Wow, playing the race card just because someone painted there minivan? Yet when people spraypaint "cracker" and "honky" on my FULL SIZE van I cant even do anything about it because its only racism when a white man does it. What a double standard. First of all I dont even know how nazi can be a racist term considering Obama is basically a mini Hitler. He wants to put us in camps and hunt whites for sport. Just like Hitler was a commie who signed a comme pact with Russia Obama did the same thing by giving them are missiles last week. History literally repeats itself. The guy has ruined are economy and I dont think things will ever pick up, we will NOT recoup are losses from the stimulus. And raising my insurance premiums just so some wellfare queen can get free healthcare? Sorry but healthcare is a luxury not a right. Well one things for sure Obama is NOT taking my convertible because I have it guarded by my pitbull THE DOG OF PEACE and he is right now manning his station wagging his tale and waiting for Obams intermediates (literally stormtroopers) to come so he can eat them. F Barack SADDAN HUESSIN Obama and all his followers, yes you vegan liberal hippies Im talking to you.

/The guy is legendary.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership