The $200 walmart linux computer
  • scrubblescrubble November 2007
    my favorite line is

"Even at the low end, however, image is everything. The gPC is built using tiny components, but put inside a full-size case because research indicates that Wal-Mart shoppers are so unsophisticated they equate physical size with capability."

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/200-everex-gree.html

$200 Ubuntu Linux PC Now Available at Wal-Mart
    By Rob Beschizza EmailOctober 31, 2007 | 7:00:59 AMCategories: PCs

Everex_gpc_tc2502

Everex's TC2502 gPC is the first mass-market $200 desktop computer, featuring a custom distribution of Ubuntu Linux and headed for selected Wal-Mart stores.

"It's $200, with no gimmicks or subsidies," Everex spokesman David Liu said.

The gPC aims to joins a popular gang of low-end economy computers leading into the holiday season, such as Asus' $300 EeePC Laptop and VIA's $600 Nanobook. Unlike these machines, however, Everex's latest model is a full-size desktop, and $100 cheaper than even the slightest models from Dell or HP.

Touted as a "green" machine, it has a 1.5 Ghz VIA C7 CPU embedded in a Mini-ITX motherboard, 512MB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. Normally, this would simply mark it as unacceptably low-end for use with modern software. By using the fast Enlightenment desktop manager (instead of heavier-duty alternatives like Gnome or KDE), the makers say it's more responsive than Vista is, even on more powerful computers.

"It's almost like a Google PC," Liu says, pointing to the desktop's rack of pre-configured links to all of Google's online applications. It is, he says, the mass-market Linux PC we've all been waiting for. "That's our dream. ... we go the final step to make it work out the box, to go the whole nine yards."

The gPC also has a DVD burner and, for those not drinking the web-app cool-aid, OpenOffice and lots more local software. There's free phone support and a regularly updated app called "Faqly" that contains the latest tech support info for folks stuck offline.

Everex_gpc_tc2502_screenshot1_2Everex_gpc_tc2502_screenshot2

If users want to install Windows on it, they can, though Everex cautions that Vista will not run well without a RAM upgrade. Recent games will not run well, if at all, on the gPC: the requirements of even humble titles like World of Warcraft exceed the system specifications.

Even at the low end, however, image is everything. The gPC is built using tiny components, but put inside a full-size case because research indicates that Wal-Mart shoppers are so unsophisticated they equate physical size with capability.

The machine is, technically, little different from sexier, geekier basic models like the Zonbu, only pitched to a different crowd. It does, however, offer a complete, upgradeable system for the lowest possible price, making the gPC a great candidate for home file/media servers and other "experiments." Everex says it wants advanced users to "play with it" and make suggestions for further development.

If nothing else, you get a ready-to-roll Mini-ITX system ready to be hacked into a CarPC or any of these weird and wonderful SFF designs.

The team working on the gPC has about 10 members, including volunteers from the open-source community. With the limited release, Everex expectes to sell "under 10,000 units" at first — a limitation perhaps related to the need to provide good tech support for less savvy users unfamiliar with Linux's conventions.
  • strifestrife November 2007
    man, people are so pathetic it aint funny no more.
  • ErlingErling November 2007
    I don't get the issue... It'll be perfect for people who just want to pay their bills online and play solitaire - and for a hundred dollars less than normal. What's pathetic? Why's this even an article?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever November 2007
    QUOTE (Erling @ Nov 1 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I don't get the issue... It'll be perfect for people who just want to pay their bills online and play solitaire - and for a hundred dollars less than normal. What's pathetic? Why's this even an article?

agreed
  • scrubblescrubble November 2007
    QUOTE (Erling @ Nov 1 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Why's this even an article?

what?
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2007
    QUOTE (strife @ Nov 1 2007, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    man, people are so pathetic it aint funny no more.

I'm really unsure as to what you're implying...
  • carto0ncarto0n November 2007
    i pee on walmart
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Nov 2 2007, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm really unsure as to what you're implying...

I was referring to this;
    QUOTE (scrubble @ Nov 1 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    "Even at the low end, however, image is everything. The gPC is built using tiny components, but put inside a full-size case because research indicates that Wal-Mart shoppers are so unsophisticated they equate physical size with capability."
    QUOTE (strife @ Nov 2 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I was referring to this;

You realize that was a joke and made up, right?
    if you really think about it, you might realize its not that far from truthful.
    No, it's very far from truthful.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership