7 Killed in shootings at Fort Hood
  • AlfyAlfy November 2009
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.for...ings/index.html
    (CNN) -- Two gunmen opened fire at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday, killing seven people and wounding between 12 and 15 others, officials said.

One of the shooters has been apprehended, Fort Hood spokesman Sgt. Maj. Jamie Posten told CNN.

"At this point we're looking for the other shooter," Posten said. Asked for a description, he said, "we're trying to develop that information."

President Obama has been informed of the incident, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters.

Watch developments live

Fort Hood was asking people on post to stay away from windows, CNN affiliate KXXV said. The incident took place at the sports dome, now known as the soldier readiness area, the station reported.

FBI agents are headed to the scene to assist, said Erik Vasys, spokesman for the FBI office in San Antonio. He had no other details.

On the Fort Hood Web site, the word "closed" is posted with the statement, "Effective immediately, Fort Hood is closed. Organizations/units are instructed to execute a 100 percent accountability of all personnel."

Fort Hood is the Army's largest U.S. post, with about 40,000 troops. It is home to the Army's 1st Cavalry Division and elements of the 4th Infantry Division, as well as the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and the 13th Corps Support Command. It is located near Killeen, Texas.

In June, Fort Hood's commander, Lt. Gen. Rick Lynch, told CNN that he was trying to ease the kind of stresses soldiers face. He has pushed for soldiers working a day schedule to return home for dinner by 6 p.m., and required his personal authorization for anyone working weekends. At the time, two soldiers stationed there had committed suicide in 2009 -- a rate well below those of other posts.
  • NunesNunes November 2009
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Nov 5 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    On the Fort Hood Web site, the word "closed" is posted with the statement, "Effective immediately, Fort Hood is closed. Organizations/units are instructed to execute a 100 percent accountability of all personnel."

I'm probably going to hell for this, but I figure that list is long enough that one more isn't going to really change things.

/due to aids
  • JeddHamptonJeddHampton November 2009
    First, who decides to attack an Army establishment? Second, how do they get away with attacking an Army establishment?
    QUOTE (Jedd @ Nov 6 2009, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    First, who decides to attack an Army establishment? Second, how do they get away with attacking an Army establishment?

Hasan, 39, is a graduate of Virginia Tech and a psychiatrist licensed in Virginia who was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to military and professional records. Previously, he worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

2. He didn't. He was shot multiple times and is now in custody.
    A civilian officer who was wounded in the incident shot the suspect, who is "in custody and in stable condition," Army Lt. Gen. Robert Cone told reporters.

"Preliminary reports indicate there was a single shooter that was shot multiple times at the scene," Cone said at a news conference. "However, he was not killed as previously reported."
  • PheylanPheylan November 2009
    Believe it or not, military bases are one of the most gun free areas of the country. The only places that compare would be university campuses and even those probably have a higher gun ownership/carrying rate then bases.
  • WedgeWedge November 2009
    yea what phey said.

other then MP's the only people who would be carrying weapons are usually those going to and from the range.
  • mungomungo November 2009
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 6 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    2. He didn't. He was shot multiple times and is now in custody.

I, for one, am excited for the interrogation.
  • EvestayEvestay November 2009
    is he expected to come out of his coma?
    QUOTE (mungo @ Nov 6 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I, for one, am excited for the interrogation.

So am I. But I can't shake this feeling that it's for a different reason.
    QUOTE (Evestay @ Nov 6 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    is he expected to come out of his coma?

This is fucking disgusting.

Intelligence officers are said to have known months ago about Hasan’s attempts to reach the terror network through the internet but decided to monitor him, hoping it would lead them to al-Qaeda operatives. It was thought Hasan might lead them to a “big fish”

/tldr version: yes. He woke up yesterday.

This tidbit's nice too:
    Senator Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, called for an investigation into whether the massacre constituted a terrorist attack.

AHHHHH. It's the turrrists.
  • AlfyAlfy November 2009
    Who remember Timothy McVeigh?
  • PheylanPheylan November 2009
    I love this holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership