If you're the praying type.
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ November 2007
    I got a call from my sister tonight, who told me that our biological father had contacted her the other night. Neither of us have had contact with him or his children for around 6 years. Anyway I just found out that my 9 year old half-sister, Haley Carter, was diagnosed with bone cancer. So, if you're the praying type I'm sure my dad and his wife, and my half-brother and I would appreciate your prayers! Thanks guys. Oh, and if you are interested here is the e-mail further explaining the situation that i received from my dad.

"To fill you in, Haley complained of pain in her shin about a month ago during her fall soccer season and had a small bump that was painful to the touch. We went to the pediatrician who thought maybe she had a fracture from a shin-shin injury and sent us for an x-ray. When the x-ray came back negative she sent us to a pediatric-orthopedist (kid bone Dr.) in Peoria. After reviewing the x-ray and examining her he sent us for a follow-up x-ray and MRI of the leg. He said he wasn't sure what it was but didn't think it was a fracture and therefore was probably either a bone infection or tumor. After reviewing the MRI he called us and told us he suspected it was probably a tumor but wanted to consult with St. Jude in Peoria. We then went for a consultation and more tests with the hematologist-oncologist from St. Jude who said he felt it was most likely cancer but the only way to diagnose it for sure was a biopsy. After consulting with St. Jude Memphis they decided who and how to perform the biopsy which occurred in Peoria on 10/25. On 10/26 St. Jude Peoria called us and told us the crappy news that preliminary lab tests confirmed it was one of 2 types of bone cancer and said they would know for sure by an appointment scheduled for the following week. Since then we learned it is osteosarcoma which is the most common malignant bone cancer in kids but still very rare with only about 400 kids diagnosed annually and usually older than Haley (usually 15). As with many cancers, the cause is uncertain with potentials of injury or growth being the triggers. At this point all tests indicate the cancer has not yet spread which is good news although 1 key test is still pending.

Last Friday we met with the hematologist-oncologist at St. Jude Peoria to discuss the expected treatment plan. It will consist of extensive chemotherapy over a 10-week period, followed by surgery at St. Jude in Memphis and then at least 17 more weeks of chemotherapy. The outcome will depend on the response to chemotherapy and the extent of bone damage to the leg. Best case we expect 29 weeks of hell including a surgery to remove a relatively large piece of her shin with a metal rod prosthesis installed, all cancer cells being killed by chemotherapy and a full recovery with a relatively normal life thereafter. She would need a few follow-up surgeries to extend the length of the rod as she grows and of course keep checking for cancer cell recurrence. Other scenarios are more scary to think about including possible leg amputation or the inability to kill all of the cancer and it spreading. She had a central line installed in her chest today for chemotherapy and after a few more tests tomorrow will start her first chemotherapy treatment in the hospital from Wednesday AM to Friday AM. The potential side effects of chemotherapy can vary and be almost as scary as the cancer itself. Cathe & I would appreciate your positive thoughts and prayers for all of us during the next 7 months."
  • GovernorGovernor November 2007
    That really is quite a shame, man. From the email it sounds like it was caught early enough to avoid the worst, but it is still quite an awful situation. Best of luck to her.
  • redboneredbone November 2007
    Best wishes to your sister, you and the rest of your family man.
  • Australian+WitchAustralian Witch November 2007
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister, but like Gov said, it looks like they got it early. Best wishes to you and your family.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership