Still popular? For how long.
  • redboneredbone November 2007
    How long do you guys think 1.6 is going to be 'popular'. Meaning having a decent player base.
  • romerashromerash November 2007
    Till it's as easy to make hacks in source as in 1.6
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2007
    Until Source becomes a real game.
  • neocronneocron November 2007
    QUOTE (romerash @ Nov 6 2007, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Till it's as easy to make hacks in source as in 1.6

I see far more cheaters in source than in 1.6, well blatant obvious aimbotting ones. Still lots of sneaky wallhackers on 1.6 trying to hide it.

CS 1.6, at least another year competativly I would say. As far as public play is concerned could be a long long time.
  • JonobonoJonobono November 2007
    I think scab's is right. Source was supposed to be CS2, but has failed miserably.
  • carto0ncarto0n November 2007
    we miss you jono.
  • Black+BalloonBlack Balloon November 2007
    SC2 is going to arrive and dominate everything for a few years. I gotta get at least 50 copies.
    darkfall > *
    QUOTE (cartoon. @ Nov 7 2007, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    we miss you jono.

Sorry, the more I play wow, the more I realize how much I will never play cs again. This isn't caused by wow either. Cs is just a painfully boring game when you're looking in from the outside. Wow is also making me realize that real life can be as fun and enjoyable as a fake one such as wow. *jono joins the peace core and becomes a hippie* *Bill comes too*

If I ever get the Orange box i'll def start playing tf2. I used to love the first one.

I'm still waiting on the MassBQ at your house...
  • AlfyAlfy November 2007
    QUOTE (cartoon. @ Nov 8 2007, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    darkfall sucks ass

Fixed.
  • intensiveintensive November 2007
    I think CS will be around for a good while, probably until like, 2010 or somewhere around there. You'll probably -always- be able to find kids playing around on there until they make a new OS that won't even run CS or something. >_>
    It all depends on when a respectable sequal is made. Otherwise i'd say it has to much of a fan base go away atm.
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf November 2007
    It will be around until 2012 when the World ends.
  • JAmmYJAmmY November 2007
    QUOTE (Hexenwulf @ Nov 10 2007, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It will be around until 2012 when the World ends.

Fluffy destroyer of worlds?
  • GovernorGovernor November 2007
    QUOTE (Jonobono @ Nov 7 2007, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think scab's is right. Source was supposed to be CS2, but has failed miserably.

While it is clear that Source has not lived up to the level that CS 1.6 was at in its prime (and I would argue that no game has), I think it is a bit presumptuous to say that it has failed miserably. Source has garnered quite a competitive following and passed CS 1.6 in terms of server attendance quite some time ago.
    QUOTE (Governor @ Nov 10 2007, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    While it is clear that Source has not lived up to the level that CS 1.6 was at in its prime (and I would argue that no game has), I think it is a bit presumptuous to say that it has failed miserably. Source has garnered quite a competitive following and passed CS 1.6 in terms of server attendance quite some time ago.

I'm not sure where you're getting your stats from....

EDIT: What I mean by that is show by these Valve statistics of the top 10 Steam games from 3:32PM on November 10th:

As you can see 1.6 is far more popular than Source. 1.6 has over two times as many players. It has more Servers than Source has Players. Also, the people that play 1.6 have played it a combined 7 billion more minutes than those who have played Source.

1.6 is on top and isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

I give it 10 more years.
  • redboneredbone November 2007
    http://www.steamgames.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=US

Click where it says detailed statistics by game. CS still takes the cake twofold.

• GovernorGovernor November 2007
    Well, I'd believe the stats on steam over gamespy, so I digress.
  • romerashromerash November 2007
    Mainly it's the system requirements, I'm sure most of those 1.6 players would rather play source, but don't have a computer capable of running it smoothly
    I'm talking from a competitive standpoint. Once CS doesn't have the support of Cal and Cpl, it won't bring in a new fan base.
    QUOTE (romerash @ Nov 11 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Mainly it's the system requirements, I'm sure most of those 1.6 players would rather play source, but don't have a computer capable of running it smoothly

Are you serious? That's the most absurd thing I've ever read.
  • dandan November 2007
    I'd try out source, but my computer won't run it...

-dan
    QUOTE (Scabdates @ Nov 13 2007, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you serious? That's the most absurd thing I've ever read.

coming from someone who cant even run 1.6..... image/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" />
  • ChillsonChillson November 2007
    EFF SOURCE.... why I play 1.6
  • PheylanPheylan November 2007
    I'll play CS again once they ban the autosniper.
    I'll play CS when they ban pheylan.
    HEY JOE ROGAN, I SMOKE ROCK!
    Wanna fight about it?
  • monkmonk November 2007
    CS will be around until they make some TRULY retarded decisions like changing perfectly functioning aspects of the game to something else in the form of a new release, just for the sake of change. You could say that would finish the job and turn away the remaining half of its player base that didn't leave last time that happened, but then again its these dynamics from release to release I guess that refreshes the player base.. Likewise many players whos experience are soured by massive changes still seem to return for fun now and again. With that stuff in mind it actually seems like valve could keep atleast the CS concept alive through an indefinite amount of releases, incorporating more realism and turning into something like Black for PS2. Unfortunately CS does not offer as competitive environment as it used to through its more "new player" oriented game play that took effect a little while after 1.6 release. That is to say CS is already past its prime for sure, and will continue to fade out of the lights of competitive gameplay that brought its peak in popularity. It will be a time killer when the playstation 5 is broken.
  • BlueBoxBobBlueBoxBob November 2007
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Nov 15 2007, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'll play CS again once they ban the autosniper.

r3s1n banned it and awp too so come play image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ November 2007
    there are more tournaments lined up for 2008 then ever before, and certain leagues such as esl and cpl have promised a cs 1.6 tourny as their main tournament until 2010.

As far as the source/1.6 debate... 1.6 is a better competitive game, the game play is better, loved and just flows. Even the higher level pro teams in NA, have said many times that they prefer 1.6 over source, but hey they are getting paid alot of money to play source.
    QUOTE (dan @ Nov 14 2007, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'd try out source, but my computer won't run it...

-dan

Buy my computer.
  • dandan November 2007
    lol. I'll pass. I'd rather use the new computer I'm building in like 3 days, when the case arrives from California.

-dan

• MeatonMeaton November 2007
    do you know how to build teh computer ? do you have teh understanding on how to do it lol image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

• dandan November 2007
    Building computers is hard, yo! I've never actually built a computer from scratch, but I've taken them apart; I think I'll manage.

I can't wait until I get to play TF2 though. That game is so much fun.

-dan
  • monkmonk November 2007
    computers are fun to build image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />. I just enjoy blowing all that money on cutting edge parts (it never takes long for them to be outdated =/ ).
    Note: thumb screws > regular screws, the process goes more smoothly. Its not really hard to do at all, once you identify all the components its like doing one of those enormous puzzles for special education
    QUOTE (dan @ Nov 17 2007, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Building computers is hard, yo! I've never actually built a computer from scratch, but I've taken them apart; I think I'll manage.

I can't wait until I get to play TF2 though. That game is so much fun.

-dan

It is easy!

and just send those new parts to me, and I'll just send you my computer. Then you can just tell people you built your computer. Okay, deal!
    I'll stop playing CS when I buy TF2 and/or get an NS server.

Wait, both those things happened. This shit sux.
  • dandan November 2007
    QUOTE (JAmmY @ Nov 18 2007, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    It is easy!

and just send those new parts to me, and I'll just send you my computer. Then you can just tell people you built your computer. Okay, deal!

DO NOT WANT!

-dan
    QUOTE (dan @ Nov 18 2007, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    DO NOT WANT!

-dan

Are you sure? If you are the tad bit unsure, I can send you a brochure! You only need to pay S&H!!!!

HURRY WHILE THIS OFFER IS STILL AVAILABLE!

image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership