• ErlingErling January 2010
    Anyone going to be playing this? Or at least giving it a shot?

I didn't even realize it was coming out already but we received them in my store today so... I think I'm going to have to give it a try was wondering if anyone else was so we could coordinate servers or whatever.
  • azn+mikeazn mike January 2010
    i have no idea what this is >.>
  • PheylanPheylan January 2010
    I think he is referring to Star Trek Online.

I played the beta for about a week or so, until it ended.

The game had some good parts. It did have the Star Trek feel with the content and look. For the beta at least, some of the story line type missions I did were pretty cool, and you got to interact with some of the characters from the series, including a lot of voice over stuff by Leonard Nimoy.

The space combat was what I played it for, not the ground combat, and I thought the space part was the more entertaining of the two. Fairly well balanced, easy to form fleets to fight some pretty massive battles, (I know one fleet battle I did was some 50 Federation vs a few hundred Klingon.) Didn't try any PvP because it wasn't working well in the beta. Space combat was well balanced it seems, and fun. Maybe a little repetitive, but not any more so then any other RPG where you are hitting the same button over and over again. What kept it interesting was having to maneuver your ship, actually fly it around to keep your guns firing. Depending on how you outfit your ship (different ships have different numbers of weapons and console slots in different locations, such as 3 forward weapon slots and 2 aft), you had to maneuver your ship to get the best type of firing position. This could mean a fast, maneuverable ship that always trys to stay facing forward firing cannons with a 45 degree arc, or a slower ship firing broadsides because they have forward and aft firing guns with a 250 degree firing arc. Made things interesting.

The ground combat wasn't as fun, but you got to see more of the Trek universe. I've never been much a fun. I've watched the movies and the TV show on occasion, but there were definitely enough little things out there that even I picked up on and thought were cool. Combat is a little boring. Everything auto hits the target you select and it feels like you and your enemies have too much health. A first person shooter type of ground combat would have been more entertaining I think. Not too difficult, just a little repetitive.

I plan on trying the game again in about a month. Right now my work and class load is way too high to consider giving it a try without worrying about it impacting my grades. Hopefully by then any remaining bugs will work there way out. Overall, by the end of beta I wasn't seeing very many. Most had to do with mission problems, or if you consider them bugs, things that players wanted in the game that weren't there yet. Little things like being able to sort the items in the exchange. I'd recommend it to anyone with $50 to spend, plus a few months of free time. I can't see myself getting the lifetime membership, but I think it has enough there to be entertaining for a little while.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership