North Korea World Cup
  • PheylanPheylan June 2010
    So, I'm sitting here watching the North Korea vs Brazil world cup game. Good game so far. Anyway, the camera keeps panning to the group of North Korean fans, apparently the only group of them. So the commentator goes on to say, they've been told that this large group of North Korean fans aren't actually North Korean. They are Chinese actors hired by North Korea to portray North Korea fans and citizens. There aren't any actual North Koreans there at the game (at least not ones that came directly from North Korea). I found the entire thing to be pretty entertaining and typical of North Korea. I guess if no Koreans actually show up, then Kim Jong can tell everyone they won the World Cup.
  • All of North Korea knows that if Kim Jong Il was playing, the games wouldn't even be fair, because Kim Jong would make scoring against the best players in the world look effortless. Go Juche!
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    All hail Glorious Leader, Winrar of Foosball, Soccer Warrior, Strategero Supreme. The Infinite. The Mystic. Magician of the Pitch. Kim. Jong. ILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

He's the illest motherfucker on the field yo.
  • I find it hard to believe any country that makes the world cup wouldn't have genuine fans there.

I also find American commentary of football high suspect.

=/
    I didn't say there weren't fans there, only that the large group of fans all wearing the same thing were supposed hired actors and accompanied the team to get there.

And the commentators were British. Or something. They talked funny. Not American at all.

http://deadspin.com/5564578/north-korean-s...nese-volunteers
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Jun 16 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I find it hard to believe any country that makes the world cup wouldn't have genuine fans there.

=/

Psh... It's called soccer.
  • vegitotgkvegitotgk June 2010
    QUOTE (Pheylan @ Jun 15 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So, I'm sitting here watching the North Korea vs Brazil world cup game. Good game so far. Anyway, the camera keeps panning to the group of North Korean fans, apparently the only group of them. So the commentator goes on to say, they've been told that this large group of North Korean fans aren't actually North Korean. They are Chinese actors hired by North Korea to portray North Korea fans and citizens. There aren't any actual North Koreans there at the game (at least not ones that came directly from North Korea). I found the entire thing to be pretty entertaining and typical of North Korea. I guess if no Koreans actually show up, then Kim Jong can tell everyone they won the World Cup.

The only goal that was televised in North Korea was the North Korean goal. Both Brazilian goals were not shown on tv. In fact, North Korea did not pay for tv rights so all of their games are broadcasted much after the games actually occur. Not only that, the North Korean regime heavily modifies the footage to show North Korea as the better team. Technically, they will "win" no matter what because losses are banned from being televised
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    QUOTE (GnS @ Jun 17 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    The only goal that was televised in North Korea was the North Korean goal. Both Brazilian goals were not shown on tv. In fact, North Korea did not pay for tv rights so all of their games are broadcasted much after the games actually occur. Not only that, the North Korean regime heavily modifies the footage to show North Korea as the better team. Technically, they will "win" no matter what because losses are banned from being televised

Got a source for that?

I wouldn't put it past KJI & co. but that's a particularly specific claim and I'd love to see where it comes from.
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf June 2010
    http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=5517084

The North's Korean Central Broadcasting Station aired recorded footage of the match in full, according to monitors in Seoul, Yonhap news agency reported.

Sounded good though.

I have been within 6 inches of the North/South Korean border. I have listened to A sizable portion of A MAC meeting (Military Armistice Commission) while at the border (I was in the Honor Guard in Korea (ARMY)). The North Korean politicos WILL make you want to head-butt them. They love to play silly games.

I.E. In an incident several years ago the U.S. and South Korean Commission Members found their chair legs to be noticeably shorter than those on the north side of the table. The North Koreans had shortened the chairs on the South side to put themselves in a superior position. At the next meeting the U.S. and South Korean members brought their own, standard height, chairs and removed them when the meeting was over.

Many more stories like that on the web.
  • QUOTE (Funky Pasta T0mmY @ Jun 16 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I find it hard to believe any country that makes the world cup wouldn't have genuine fans there.

=/

Speaking of the American's. How about the ref's blowing that call which would have given the US a win. Everyone hates America except ourselves.
    QUOTE (Cheezzypoof @ Jun 18 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Speaking of the American's. How about the ref's blowing that call which would have given the US a win. Everyone hates America except ourselves.

Yeah, that bastard. And here I thought we had only done good things for Africa. Way for them to repay us.
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    They will be reviewing that refs performance (or just reffing in general ) today, apparently.

Also, PRK is on RIGHT NOW. But not for long. Last I saw Portugal had NK backpedaling pretty hard. But it was rainy so both team were having some trouble around the sidelines and the net.
  • EvestayEvestay June 2010
    lol you called that rout well Andrew
  • NunesNunes June 2010
    I didn't realize somebody scored a touchdown.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership