Where should I move?
  • woerwoer June 2010
    I have always planned to skip out on my student loans because in my case it's more foolish to actually pay them. Credit scores don't carry over from one country to another, so it won't matter at all. The only part I don't have planned is which country to move to. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll just head south with a machete, backpack, and iodine tablets!
  • PhilPhil June 2010
    I think you'd get along well in Scandinavia. Do you have language skills which might be employed?
  • mungomungo June 2010
    Ireland
  • woerwoer June 2010
    QUOTE (Phil @ Jun 30 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I think you'd get along well in Scandinavia. Do you have language skills which might be employed?

French, Japanese. I'm willing to learn a new language, which is one reason I'm trying to decide ahead of time

QUOTE (mungo @ Jun 30 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Ireland

I had a friend who spent a semester there and really liked it. Any particular reason for the recommendation?
  • AlfyAlfy June 2010
    Since you have a degree, go teach English in Japan.
  • GovernorGovernor June 2010
    I second Ireland. Mostly because I'm contemplating moving there.
  • woerwoer June 2010
    QUOTE (Alfy @ Jun 30 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Since you have a degree, go teach English in Japan.

I've been looking at teaching in Asia, actually. I have two friends over there now doing that (China and Japan). It seems like it'd be really cool, and that way i'd have a job as soon as i'm there. Plus some help with getting an apartment and such.

QUOTE (Governor @ Jun 30 2010, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I second Ireland. Mostly because I'm contemplating moving there.

Let's go! How long will it take you to pack? What are you doing tomorrow? I'll get the tickets.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 June 2010
    norway
  • woerwoer June 2010
    btw gov, why ireland?

QUOTE (Zer0^ @ Jun 30 2010, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    norway

i was thinking about norway/sweden/finland since they have fast internet and good quality of life, but i have heard the languages are pretty hard to pick up. plus as a more westernized country, my education wouldn't be as great of an advantage as other places....definitely not ruling it out, though
  • QUOTE (z @ Jun 30 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I have always planned to skip out on my student loans because in my case it's more foolish to actually pay them. Credit scores don't carry over from one country to another, so it won't matter at all. The only part I don't have planned is which country to move to. Any suggestions? Maybe I'll just head south with a machete, backpack, and iodine tablets!

LOL make sure you buy a home with a 30 yr mortgage first and foreclose on that as well. Teaching English in Asia is a guaranteed job pretty much... smart... but I'd rather live in Europe than Asia.
  • PheylanPheylan July 2010
    Ukraine.

Mail order brides from there rock! Imagine the savings if you go live out there and cut out the cost of shipping the bride! Has to be practically free!
  • hexenwulfhexenwulf July 2010
    QUOTE (z @ Jun 30 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    btw gov, why Ireland?

One word. Leprechaun

Also as far as I can tell Ireland rocks. On my list of places to visit.
  • KPKP July 2010
    I dream of doing the same thing, but can never seem to quit my job. I did try to get a job teaching English in Japan but the last time I tried I got turned down. I have had three friends go and come back right away because of the way they treat their employees. Living in Japan is a lot of fun tho.

To be downer, skipping out on your loans is a bad idea. While traveling and living in another is awesome and everyone should do it at least once, if you don't pay them now, coming back to the US is going to be a huge bitch.
  • GovernorGovernor July 2010
    Are you planning to declare bankruptcy? As far as I know, that will get rid of your debt (except for federal student loans) and will stop impacting your credit after seven years, so you could always choose to come back the US later on.

To answer your question though, I've never been to Ireland so my opinions about it are pretty arbitrary. I love what I see of Ireland in terms of culture and landscape. The company that I work for is located in Ireland too, so that doesn't hurt.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 July 2010
    i was thinking about norway/sweden/finland since they have fast internet and good quality of life, but i have heard the languages are pretty hard to pick up. plus as a more westernized country, my education wouldn't be as great of an advantage as other places....definitely not ruling it out, though

My uncle and his family live there (Larvic to be exact). It really is a great country, and the living quality is excellent. Can't beat free health care, etc. Very clean..very respectable.
    Regarding the language..I was told that when my uncle was in school, the only reason he passed French 1 was because he promised the teacher he'd never take french 2. (True or not..it fits his personality so well). But in the end..I'm sure that once you were there (or any country) you'd be able to pick it up much faster, especially once you have a base to work from if you start studying here.
  • woerwoer July 2010
    QUOTE (KarmaPolice @ Jul 1 2010, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I dream of doing the same thing, but can never seem to quit my job. I did try to get a job teaching English in Japan but the last time I tried I got turned down. I have had three friends go and come back right away because of the way they treat their employees. Living in Japan is a lot of fun tho.

To be downer, skipping out on your loans is a bad idea. While traveling and living in another is awesome and everyone should do it at least once, if you don't pay them now, coming back to the US is going to be a huge bitch.

I don't plan to come back. I don't know if it's family or a feeling of home or what that keeps people from moving, but I've never had that feeling.

QUOTE (Governor @ Jul 1 2010, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Are you planning to declare bankruptcy? As far as I know, that will get rid of your debt (except for federal student loans) and will stop impacting your credit after seven years, so you could always choose to come back the US later on.

To answer your question though, I've never been to Ireland so my opinions about it are pretty arbitrary. I love what I see of Ireland in terms of culture and landscape. The company that I work for is located in Ireland too, so that doesn't hurt.

I just plan to leave without doing anything. As above, I don't plan to come back.

QUOTE (Zer0^ @ Jul 1 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My uncle and his family live there (Larvic to be exact). It really is a great country, and the living quality is excellent. Can't beat free health care, etc. Very clean..very respectable.
    Regarding the language..I was told that when my uncle was in school, the only reason he passed French 1 was because he promised the teacher he'd never take french 2. (True or not..it fits his personality so well). But in the end..I'm sure that once you were there (or any country) you'd be able to pick it up much faster, especially once you have a base to work from if you start studying here.

Great info, thanks! Do you talk to your uncle and his family with any regularity? I may have some questions later.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 July 2010
    About once a week.

Any particular reason you're motivated to move or strictly financial?
  • JonobonoJonobono July 2010
    My dad is a college professor and in doing so, he gets to go on a sabbatical every 10 years or so. Well, when i was 13 he chose to go to Ireland, bringing my family and I to the Emerald Isle for 14 months.

Ireland is amazing.

I really think thats all that needs be said honestly.

Ireland recently experienced a surge in immigration, meaning housing will be plentiful and affordable. Gas prices are per liter, and you'll pay about double per gallon than you would in the States. That said, their public transportation is top notch. The people are great, they hold no predjudices against American's, which might have changed following the Bush era. They do, completely love Bill Clinton.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
  • jimmah7jimmah7 July 2010
    I'm moving to Moscow for a couple years. Can't wait!
  • b1llyb1lly July 2010
    Panama is very cheap to live in and has great healthcare. It's also very beautiful and developed. (Not 3rd world by a long shot).
  • woerwoer July 2010
    QUOTE (Zer0^ @ Jul 2 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    About once a week.

Any particular reason you're motivated to move or strictly financial?

just seems like the smart thing to do. i'm not particular, so there's no real reason to stay or go in terms of preference

QUOTE (Jonobono @ Jul 2 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    My dad is a college professor and in doing so, he gets to go on a sabbatical every 10 years or so. Well, when i was 13 he chose to go to Ireland, bringing my family and I to the Emerald Isle for 14 months.

Ireland is amazing.

I really think thats all that needs be said honestly.

Ireland recently experienced a surge in immigration, meaning housing will be plentiful and affordable. Gas prices are per liter, and you'll pay about double per gallon than you would in the States. That said, their public transportation is top notch. The people are great, they hold no predjudices against American's, which might have changed following the Bush era. They do, completely love Bill Clinton.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

sweet thanks!

QUOTE (Jimmah7 @ Jul 5 2010, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm moving to Moscow for a couple years. Can't wait!

eek that's awesome! do you speak russian?

QUOTE (b1lly @ Jul 10 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Panama is very cheap to live in and has great healthcare. It's also very beautiful and developed. (Not 3rd world by a long shot).

i really like the idea of going to central/south america. thank you for that. i will definitely look into it.
  • teach for america wipes your student loans.
  • woerwoer July 2010
    QUOTE (0=uid(root) @ Jul 12 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    teach for america wipes your student loans.

Whoa, that is awesome! Is it all of your student loans, just federal loans, a set amount, or what? I looked around their website but couldn't find that info.

edit: found this
    Teach For America is currently a member of AmeriCorps, the national service network. Through AmeriCorps, corps members are eligible for loan forbearance on federal student loans. Loan forbearance is a period of time during the repayment period during which corps members can postpone regular monthly payments. Corps members can use loan forbearance time to save for a major expense (car, grad school, etc.), pay off loans more efficiently, or put money toward other responsibilities.

In addition, AmeriCorps will pay up to 100 percent of the interest that accrues on qualified student loans during corps members' two-year teaching commitment. Some state and federal agencies also offer loan cancellation programs for corps members who complete their two-year teaching commitment. Corps members also receive an AmeriCorps education award, which they can also use to pay off loans

but that doesn't mention paying off existing loans except by state/fed agencies
  • jimmah7jimmah7 July 2010
    yes i speak russian
  • BlackLightBlackLight July 2010
    personally I would do Australia but that probably wouldn't provide any job advantages for you
  • GovernorGovernor July 2010
    QUOTE (BlackLight @ Jul 25 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    personally I would do Australia but that probably wouldn't provide any job advantages for you

And the whole crumbling civil liberties/censored internet stuff.
  • cutchinscutchins July 2010
    if you're going to central/south america, Costa Rica is hands down the best choice. It's got the perfect mix of modernization and rural/traditional culture, the people are friendly, and it's gorgeous.

I wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who suggests going to any of the typical european countries (ireland, scotland, britain, france, spain, italy, etc. etc.) If you're leaving the US why bother substituting one "western" culture for another with an accent or a different language?

Go somewhere different. Central/South America, Asia, Africa. Go to Hong Kong, or fucking New Delhi. Ethiopia? Go somewhere radically different, imo.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership