Windows Vista
  • GovernorGovernor November 2007
    I think it is clear that most technologically inclined people still prefer XP over Vista, and usually any discussion about Vista eventually ends with a lot of software trash talk, but I'd like to learn more about the differences between the operating systems.

For those of you that actually use/prefer Vista, what has drawn you to that OS? What have you found that it offers that XP does not?
  • redboneredbone November 2007
    This isn't the pros of vista that you were looking for, but I think this guy probably does a good job of summarizing the current status of Vista. http://www.pcmech.com/article/vista-vs-xp-...-windows-going/
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ November 2007
    I dont' 'use my computer for much besides gaming and running movies and such. I run windows vista 64 bit and I like it. It seems more easily accessible then XP. And with 4 Gigs, I have no problem running it.
  • cutchinscutchins November 2007
    what the hell does easily accessible mean?
  • Retr0%5ERetr0^ November 2007
    as in, easier to navigate between programs and files on your computer...
  • scrubblescrubble November 2007
    i've heard bad things, but i've also heard very good things. i would update it on my current computer, but if i bought a new one i'd get Vista.

on a different note, Office 07 is pretty kickass. i've had it for a while now and i could never go back to 03. i love it.
  • Australian+WitchAustralian Witch November 2007
    I have Vista on my laptop, and I think that it's very easy to use, and I haven't run into any major problems with it so far.
  • romerashromerash November 2007
    I only tried beta, and hated it because it's "too secure" for me, also many programs weren't compatible with it, other than that, it was XP with more memory intensive interface features
  • ErlingErling November 2007
    Vista is decent, they tossed tons of backwards compatibility which is really the only issue with it (Starcraft for one has some extreme video issues on my computer). Driver support is still a little bit lacking but Vista was mainly designed it seems for future things rather than past things - so it's a bit wonky now but will obviously come out way over XP once the third party support is in full swing.

Even in the 6 months or so I've been running Vista they've already improved the performance and everything 10 fold. About a month after installing Vista I wanted to go back to XP and now I don't see much reason to bother.

Edit: Vista does offer tons of things XP doesn't. Lots of security things (That I've disabled as they're no use to me). Tons of nifty and sometimes useful system utilities and plenty of random things (base support for the sidebar is nice). I haven't really fully explored everything little thing it has but I have found that moving about in the system options and controls is a lot simpler and intuitive than XP. Networking actually seems to work a lot better by itself (More plug and play than XP) - user access through the network makes sense to me now. Using the "Repair" option when your connection isn't working actually seems to do something now and almost always fixes it when I'm having issues (Doesn't just disable, enable the connection - actually gives you options/answers). It's nicer looking, haha. I hate the new start menu. It apparently has built in VPN support, don't think XP had that from what I remember. Has this nifty "System Performance Rating" thing that checks all your hardware and rates it and will tell you if games will run well on it, etc.

Keep in mind I'm using Ultimate, I'm not sure what things exactly are in Ultimate that aren't in the other versions.
  • jump3rjump3r November 2007
    QUOTE (Erling @ Nov 18 2007, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Keep in mind I'm using Ultimate, I'm not sure what things exactly are in Ultimate that aren't in the other versions.

Poker and the "video-for-a-wallpaper" thing.
    Poker is really easy. image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
  • redboneredbone November 2007
    QUOTE (Erling @ Nov 19 2007, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Poker is really easy. image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

As is Xemp's mom on the eyes.
  • ScabdatesScabdates November 2007
    Office 07 is certainly better than any other office program I've used (a lot).

Vista is way, way, way sexier than XP. Aero rocks.
    Oh yeah, the new Office is balls for sure. Just isn't included in Vista so I didn't mention it!

MSDN License ftw.
  • dandan November 2007
    QUOTE (Erling @ Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh yeah, the new Office is balls for sure. Just isn't included in Vista so I didn't mention it!

MSDN License ftw.

Quoted for Truth.
  • romerashromerash November 2007
    best thing about MSDN is, you have 4 years to rip off every single microsoft software you can, I downloaded stuff that i'll never use in my life image/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> but hey, it's free
  • strifestrife November 2007
    I have Vista 64 ultimate, it sucks, it uses 1 of my 4 GB of ram, thats 25% for those who suck at math. I like the gui but hate the limitations in setting folder views, cant fully customize and apply to all folders. it would be alot better if Microsoft didn't release it with all of the extra services running in the background (50 on a fresh install).
  • dandan November 2007
    My 64 bit Business install doesn't seem to be running too badly, so far. Granted, I've only had a day or two to play with it, but after getting my sound drivers to work (which took awhile), I haven't had many problems.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership