1v1 Kyuubi(P) v Brainy(T) (W)
  • gsusegsuse September 2010
    Here's a 1v1 vs terran which lasted a little to long. neither of us rushed or harassed enough although my harassment of other players is picking up a little.

I have had trouble scouting in the past but I think it's getting slightly better. There were a few times in the game that if he rushed it would've been close. He also didn't scout my second expo till way later. As well my second expo was started at 3 min and his was started at 18 min so I had the upper hand there.

Don't mind the last 5 minutes of the replay, I was just savouring the victory and killing off his shit for fun after he left.

Any critiquing or comments are more than welcome.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/repl...s&id=152949
  • KurtKurt September 2010
    Nice game! Definitely showed a good strategy in this game, loved the hidden transition into void rays at the end to seal the deal!

Also great use of unit upgrades, it made a big difference. It was good to see you take the 3rd expansion, extra income is always nice.

Now for the rough stuff, critiques:

I am going to copy & paste this for emphasis.
    WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER. WATCH TOWER.

image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> use them! They give map control and advance warning of enemy movement. You should always have a unit on the watch tower. The confusion mid game where you saw his army leave his base, and you didn't know what to defend (expansion or your main), could have all been avoided by one simple unit at that tower.

Other major critique: Observers! You had a Robot Bay and didn't make any observers! Should have had them at expos/main to see what units he was producing, but also to give you the ability to control his income and know what he was up to. If you hadn't gone void rays (a good idea on your behalf, but you hadn't seen his tech for cruisers), those battle cruisers could have been the death of you!

Also, you tossed some units periodically at his wall mid game, Im sure with the attempt to harass/see unit composition... but this is costly and doesn't give you much insight into the interior of his base. There are a few ways to scout as Protoss, the two most popular being:

1. Observer! (Hey - if you already have a robot bay why not?)
    2. If you have sentry's with the hallucinate ability - cast it on a pheonix (super fast air unit) and fly it over his base.

The intel gained from scouting is far more valuable than a couple hundred minerals!

Other than that, solid play, lots of improvement but you definitely need to work on scouting - it makes all the difference in the game.
  • KPKP September 2010
    QUOTE (kyuubi @ Sep 27 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Here's a 1v1 vs terran which lasted a little to long. neither of us rushed or harassed enough although my harassment of other players is picking up a little.

I have had trouble scouting in the past but I think it's getting slightly better. There were a few times in the game that if he rushed it would've been close. He also didn't scout my second expo till way later. As well my second expo was started at 3 min and his was started at 18 min so I had the upper hand there.

Don't mind the last 5 minutes of the replay, I was just savouring the victory and killing off his shit for fun after he left.

Any critiquing or comments are more than welcome.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/repl...s&id=152949

Not that I a that much better than you, but here I go.

1. In the early game make sure you get your timing right. There isn't much to do so make sure that the pylon goes down on 9 so you can keep building probes.

2. I like aggression even though I don't always follow through with it so I like the fast expansion to a base accross the map, but as I recall you forgo a lot of unit building and probe building. Putting a pylon in the second base and making a proxy earlier makes more sense. You want to always be making probes and waiting to get enough for the nexus that early, in my opinion cost you(even though it didn't matter cause he didn't expand till super late).

3. I hate being supply blocked but you were almost double your food in supply early game. I think you wanted to spread canons out and that is why you built a lot of them, but you would never have been able t produce that fast early game to come close to that limit. If he rushed earlier you would not have made it.

4. It is hard, but if you chronoboost your nexus make sure to keep making probes out of it. You CB and then let a lot of it go to waste with only one probe.

5. He didn't scout your expo, but you barely scouted him at all either. You had a robo bay out with 500+ minerals at some point. Pump out one observer, its only 50 minerals, you could have had a much better idea of whats going on. Even if I am going VR or something I still make a robo just for observers

6. You had one attack when you sent a bunch of zealots up a ramp. There was no way you were winning that battle and I think you knew it but stuck with it anyway. I suck at this, but I think you should have taken the information and backed away and waited to get your collossi/stalkers with you.

7. Get probes on gas as soon as it is built

Good game, was interesting to watch with the fast expansion you had!
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership