• GachiGachi September 2010
    So I've been looking into trying some wine with the wife (we tried it in the past and had and still have no clue what to look for so what we brought in like 2004 wasn't great).

Anyways, I have no idea what to look for besides a red wine, I think. Am I looking for Pinot Gris or Cabernet Sauvignon, or what? Where should I be looking at where the wine is from, does this matter? What wine has others tried here that they like and why? What makes a wine different from the others? Throw up some links to wines you've tried and enjoyed or the name of it, etc.

I'm not looking for super expensive, nor really cheap, unless someone has a recommendation for a wine that isn't that bad of a price.

• coffeecoffee September 2010
    what are you eating with it?
  • PheylanPheylan September 2010
    I'm a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon personally. I enjoy just going to the store and buying something new when I go and seeing what I like. It's a fun game to play with some random $20-$30 bottles wine. Good with a dinner, especially red meat.

From an economical standpoint, this isn't the best for you since you're in Hawaii, but if you end up back in California, try going to Trader Joes (Grocery Store). They have their own brand, Charles Shaw, of wine that is awesome. It's has won several awards and I think they have about 7 different varieties now? Maybe more, some are seasonal so its hard to keep track of. Best part of it is the price. $2.99 a bottle everywhere I've seen, but supposedly they are $1.99 a bottle when actually in CA. Dunno if that's true. Excellent bottle of wine if you drink wine every night with dinner like the habitual alcoholics that my parents are. Also a good way to try several different varieties of wines to get a general idea of what you may or may not like before dropping money on a more expensive bottle.

They also have them in PA.
  • GachiGachi October 2010
    Court,

I know your short ass used to drink wine, so I'm interested in hearing your opinion on the matter. Hurry it up! haha

• azn+mikeazn mike October 2010
    I'm a fan of white zinfandel and pinot grigio wines image/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
  • GovernorGovernor October 2010
    QUOTE (Gachi @ Oct 4 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Court,

I know your short ass used to drink wine, so I'm interested in hearing your opinion on the matter. Hurry it up! haha

I don't know a ton about wine, to be honest. If you have any questions about beer, just let me know! I was leaving the advice to people that are more into wine than I.

I will say that I'm a big fan of Cabernet Sauvignon and dry Rieslings. I'm not sure how prices are out in Hawaii, but in PA, I wouldn't bother buying a bottle for more than $15-$20, and usually I'd enjoy the bottles for $10-$15 just fine.
  • ErlingErling October 2010
    "the better the wine, the greater the waste of a good grape"
  • MagicMagic October 2010
    I'm no expert, but I do know one of the major factors is what you're going to pair the wine with. There are a bunch of different charts on the interwebs suggesting what wine to pair with what food:

http://www.theliquorstop.com/wine.htm
    http://www.wine-lovers-page.com/matching.shtml

I feel like sometimes those can go too indepth for me though. I don't have a crazy wine palate - so the bottles in the 10-15 range are what I usually go for. There are also a ton of online wine "stores" and they'll have good deals every now and then (i.e. 75 dollars worth of wine for 50 bucks with free shipping) -- looking into those deals could save you some moolah as you try to find what you enjoy the most.

http://www.wine.com/
  • bobbob October 2010
    Pheylan, I buy all my wine at the Circle K on NAS Drive by the base!
  • PheylanPheylan October 2010
    Ha Even better on bases where it's tax free.

Which base are you near?
  • bobbob October 2010
    I was referencing the south gate of CC Naval base in Flour Bluff. I grew up there many, many years ago.
  • PheylanPheylan October 2010
    Ahh, I see. Yeah, I'm familiar with it. Interesting city, to put it nicely.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership