Let's Play
  • NunesNunes November 2010
    The Saga of Headshoots Hall of the Damned. Home of HolisticDetective, Adamantium Clad Champion of the Sacred Hall and Most Supreme Warriordwarf.

TLDR Warning, for people who don't like reading. Also, typical Dwarf Fortress warning. This shit is... kind of difficult to understand sometimes.

Behold!

/nobodies gonna fucking read this shit. But I swear, it's worth it. An excerpt from where things go a little... south

The fragility of our current workforce brings to mind my second goal- attracting more migrants. Almost all of our mentally fit dwarves are champions who refuse to work, so we'll soon badly need more migrants. The primary obstacle to this goal is sitting in our depot right now:

-picture depicting a group of dwarven merchants sitting in the trade depot-

These merchants will bring back news of the terrible slaughter to the mountainhomes, and then we'll never get more migrants. They must die, and quick. I briefly pondered how to do that with such limited dwarfpower, when I suddenly realized how simple it would be.

-picture of lava pool sitting next to the trade depot. Separated only by a thin wall of stone.

It's now or never, I don't know how soon they'll leave. There's no floodgate, so I order Whitecloak to deploy WEAPON manually. Miraculously he survives, and the merchants start dying. Nemo terrifies the heck out of me by randomly dashing by as a barrel explodes.

-picture of said activity-

Fortunately he's perfectly fine. He says he was only filling his waterskin, but I think he was just being dramatic...
    My relief is short lived, as everything begins to go horribly, horribly wrong at this point. Three of the merchant guards made it out alive. They'll surely tell the tale of what transpired here today... I'd be more disappointed if I hadn't already despaired by word that the mountainhomes already knew...

At this point lava started random leaking all over the fortress and he had to wall off half of the fortress, sealing himself and some other sane and uninjured dwarves off from the ensuing madness and death in what they now refer to as West Headshoots.
    oh... West Headshoots...

Don't tell me that shit isn't fucking hilarious.
  • BrianBrian November 2010
    Currently on update 46.

And I really want to play this game.

Well... correction, I really want to play this game... with graphics that make screenshots understandable.
    It seems vastly complicated.

Edit: Also, this is often fucking hilarious.

"I leave you with this final shot for summer, of Hollistic Detective charging through a lake of fucking lava to maul a kobold beyond recognition. He survives without a scratch.

Remind me to never, ever piss off our military."
    Game is free. There are also free mods that pretty up the symbols so it's not an exercise in semiotics. It's still... complicated. Making bedrooms, for example, involves
    1- acquiring lumber (which is done by designating an area for tree harvesting and setting dwarves to have the Wood Cutting profession and making sure they have an axe equipped)
    2 - and stone (mined by miners... a fortress' backbone),
    3 - building a carpenters workshop (out of stone)
    4 - and a masons workshop (out of stone)
    5 - and assigning a pair of dwarves to carpentry and masonry
    6 - creating a "construct Bed" job in the carpentry workshop
    7 - creating a "construct Door" job in the masonry workshop
    8 - waiting for beds and doors to start rolling off the assembly line
    9 - Digging bedrooms (there is a wealth of information on the most efficient bedroom arrangements)
    10 - clearing loose stone from the floors of your newly dug rooms
    11 - placing a bed in each newly cleaned room
    12 - placing a door at the entrance of the new room
    13 - selecting the bed as a building and setting it as the source for a new Bedroom (makes it official that dwarves can sleep there)
    14 - sizing the room to fill the space you've dug
    15 - assigning the bed to a dwarf.

On the bright side, there's a super-helpful wiki - magmawiki.com

Today's quote from the developer:

"Bug #871: babies fall to death when born on stairs"

edit: and bedrooms are both basic, and requisite. Look up how to make clear glass for a real treat.
    You need to make thread and cloth to make bags in which to put the sand you have designated to be harvested to carry it to a glass furnace which requires stone and a fuel source where it is then combined with pearlash which is made at a kiln (different from a glass furnace) -which also requires a fuel source- out of Potash which is made at an ashery out of lye which is made at that same ashery out of wood ashes which are produced at a wood furnace.
  • fratersangfratersang November 2010
    I'll stick to minecraft thanks.
    And you will never enjoy the wonders of a magma waterfall pouring out of an engraved obsidian dwarven collosus. Your loss.
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 13 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And you will never enjoy the wonders of a magma waterfall pouring out of an engraved obsidian dwarven collosus. Your loss.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Nov 13 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And you will never enjoy the wonders of a magma waterfall pouring out of an engraved obsidian dwarven collosus into a trade depot of elves as a critical part of your foreign policy. Your loss.

?

The imminent and yet completely unforeseeable destruction of all you've created?

I was recently attacked by a |Creature of Salt with Large Mandibles and a Gaunt Appearance| and I killed it by flooding the cavern I got it to retreat to, reducing it to slightly salty water. That was pretty awesome.\

Edit: Here's screenshot of the aftermath of my encounter with said creature.
    If dorf fort had the graphics of minecraft, I think I would never leave my computer.

That said, please more indy games like this. These games blow my mind.

Edit: Totally addicted to minecraft now.
    QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 14 2010, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    If dorf fort had the graphics of minecraft, I think I would never leave my computer.

That said, please more indy games like this. These games blow my mind.

Edit: Totally addicted to minecraft now.

Have you built a portal to the nether yet?
    Not yet, and armor doesn't seem to work in the latest build, so I think I'll wait heh. There's also the portal bug.
  • NunesNunes December 2010
    playing minecraft and I would like to point out that you can not in fact make a lava fall. I am disappoint.
  • fratersangfratersang December 2010
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 23 2010, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    playing minecraft and I would like to point out that you can not in fact make a lava fall. I am disappoint.

you are doing it wrong.
  • NunesNunes January 2011
    No pumps means no water-

Wait. Actually the problem appears to be that the mechanics of the game are ... curious ... to say the least. Lava flows down, but not out, can be moved in infinite quantities with a single bucket, and doesn't actually seem to burn anything that isn't alive.

I'm enjoying the game, and now have a lavafall of fairly epic proportions. But after that the only thing left to do is build two portals into the nether so I can explore and fast travel from my spawn to my lavafall.

It does say Beta right up there in the corner, but after playing for a couple weeks I'm starting to wonder what I should do next. I have a castle with a terraced farm atop it's glassy spires, complete with trees and flowers. I have a well carved tunnel system running under the entirety of an island all the way to bedrock, and a tunnel running from there to my lavafall (which doubles as an obsidian factory by merits of its proximity to water. I have a creeper spawner and a trap pit to farm their delightful drops to make TNT which I used to carve out those nice tunnels I described. I have all diamond gear. I'm running low on ideas that don't revolve around recreating real life locations in game. Which strikes me as a tremendously fruitless endeavor.

Any suggestions?
  • fratersangfratersang January 2011
    have you messed with the rail system yet?
    QUOTE (fratersang @ Jan 9 2011, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    have you messed with the rail system yet?

Been building a monorail in my spare time. Does it move faster than you do walking? I feel like I never have to transport stuff. Everything is pretty much evenly spread over the world.
  • fratersangfratersang January 2011
    QUOTE (Andrew @ Jan 10 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Been building a monorail in my spare time. Does it move faster than you do walking? I feel like I never have to transport stuff. Everything is pretty much evenly spread over the world.

There are some glitches that allow you to create a self powered rail system that moves much faster than you can walk.

Combine that with the red dust and you can create an automated system that will come to you, let you get off at a station and reset itself as soon as you have removed yourself from the cart.
    been playing a bit with redstone. Cannons don't intrigue me at all, but all my doors open automatically from inside and require a button push from outside. I have that tree garden on top of my volcano, and I've considered making a vertical "cannon" or mortar thing by digging a pit, surrounding it in mossy stone, filling it with water, dropping two TNTs in there and redstone lighting it from the bottom, firing out the top TNT into the grove of trees destroying it but not my roof, harvesting my trees.

But it seems very risky. And a 70% return rate on wood seems like a poor reward for something so kick ass.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership