The Bodybuilding and Fitness Thread
  • scrubblescrubble October 2007
    i figure this thread is needed.
  • woerwoer October 2007
    switched to a 3-day rotation and try to hit each day twice. it's been working well so far
  • carto0ncarto0n October 2007
    i just recently started going to the gym....i need to lose about 1000lbs or so.

mon wed fri schedule, well see what happens
  • PhilPhil October 2007
    Still CrossFitting and Olympic lifting. Still working nicely and keeping me entertained. My workout log is here:http://hunksofspice.com/?cat=21 (often profane language, roflroflrofl)

• 0%3Duid%28root%290=uid(root) October 2007
    neh.

i try to work out, but you know...life gets in the way.
  • coffeecoffee October 2007
    every 100 workouts earns you an extra life, chuck

i have 5 lives now
  • scrubblescrubble October 2007
    has anyone taken Purple Wraath? it's suppose to be awesome.

plus i ordered some stuff from bodybuilding.com and one of the products was delayed so they're sending me a free t-shirt. clutch.
    im taking NO-Explode, Cellmass, fish oil caps, vitimans, protien shakes, etc... along with cutting soda, coffee, and white break out of my diet.

anyone have any recommendations on a 3 day a week schedule to lose fat and tone up?

im currently doing mon, wed, fri

Mon: 20mins cardio then i work out arms/chest

Wed: 30mins cardio - Legs

Fri: 20mins cardio - chest/abs
  • coffeecoffee October 2007
    i do a 3 day/week split rotating schedule; chest/shoulders, legs/back, bis/tris. i follow each workout with an advanced ab routine (cable crunches, hanging leg raises) supplemented with various "-ups", and an untimed cardio session; usually i opt for interval training on the bike or elliptical
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever October 2007
    I wouldn't order anything off of any site but supplementwarehouse.com!!!

cheapest place to buy all your sups! They have a 5% pricematch guarantee. Meaning if you can find the sup you want to buy cheaper somewhere else on the web (which I do 1/2 the time) you can get it for 5% cheaper on this site.
  • ChillsonChillson October 2007
    We need Wolve in this thread ASAP. He had everything for everyone. I have been working out again now and loving it. I do 4 days a week rotating upper body, core, and lower body. Always mixing in Cardio in the workouts. Always eating before and after. The usual.
  • PhilPhil October 2007
    I take: Food, a multivitamin for seniors. Supplements? Blah. Successful marketing.

Cartoon: do Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and tack on 2-3 Tabata workouts a week. Simple, effective.

Starting Strength write up on BB forums

Tabata explained by Clarence Bass

Its simple, but its hard. It will absolutely work. Don't mod them, either of them, do them until Christmas. Perhaps, you limit your first 2 weeks Tabata endeavors to 3 minutes instead of the full 4. Results guaranteed.
    thanks Phil, I will give this a try
  • PhilPhil October 2007

Sorry, I was in a hurry before. A little more info. You can do the Tabata workouts on the off days or at the end of the strength days. Either will work. If you can/want to go to the gym 3 days a week, that is perfect. Strength workout per Rippetoe (takes about 35-45 mins) then 4 mins on the bike, rower, stepper or treadmill. OR you can do them outside the gym. Box jumps, jump rope, sprints, or air squats will all work. Probably recommend against air squats though, since Starting Strength includes plenty of squatting, but if you miss a strength day, then do the air squats Tabata style!

Starting Strength will build muscle everywhere. It will teach you how to do the basic movements well. It will stimulate your body effectively. Tabata will burn fat and maintain muscle. It also might make you puke, but goddamn it works...and remember...its only 4 minutes. I'd still throw in 20 mins of lower intensity cardio 1x a week, on whichever day you choose not to do Tabata. I believe in simplicity and mastery before advanced movement. Plenty of Olympic athletes train with simple tools, movements and programs. That which is simple is easy to master, and in mastery you find results. Enjoy the simplicty, give the combo (SS and Tabata) an honest try. Thank me later ;D Any questions or requests for resources I will be happy to provide via PM. Godspeed and good fitness!

/waits for Mungo come stomping all over me, cause he is a SS hater!
  • neocronneocron October 2007
    Erm.. I run but thats all. Ipod with that nike+ thing is pretty sweet.
  • JAmmYJAmmY October 2007
    QUOTE (neocron @ Oct 24 2007, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Erm.. I run but thats all. Ipod with that nike+ thing is pretty sweet.

Nike+ ftw!

Monday-Tempo (fartlicks) run-Warm up, 1 min jog, 30 second sprint, 1:30 jog, :30 sprint, repeat till 20 minutes, then 25 minute hard jog, 15 min cooldown run
    Tuesday-Chest, tri's, abs
    Wednesday-bi's, back, abs
    Thursday-Basketball
    Friday-Chest, tri's, legs, shoulders,abs, 30 minute run
    Saturday-30-50 min run, may replace with swimming
    Sunday-Basketball

As for eating, no eating schedule yet, soon will start up protein after lifting. As far as my eating goes, no deep-fried goods, or soda.
  • crazyd1415crazyd1415 October 2007
    mixed martial arts bitches.

I need to start lifting and eating right again.

need motivation, get a female training partner and let her mount you. then practice sweeping her but always fall into her guard.
  • PhilPhil October 2007
    MMA training is expensive image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
    QUOTE (Phil @ Oct 25 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    MMA training is expensive image/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Gabe Gonzaga trains in Ludlow, MA.....about 10mins from my house. I want to stop by there one day.....guy is so badass
  • coffeecoffee November 2007
    /res

so here's my current 3 day split, which i'm growing weary of.

chest/shoulders
    -----------------------
    benchpress or dumbbell press (incline every other session, decline once every 2 weeks)
    dumbbell pullovers & flys
    weighted chest dips

arnold press
    dumbbell raises
    upright rows
    weighted pullups

legs/back
    --------------------
    squats
    deadlifts - stiff leg & power

barbell rows (alternate grips)
    pullups

triceps/biceps
    --------------------
    seated incline dumbbell curls
    concentration curls/preacher curls
    alternating cable curls

seated triceps extensions
    decline closegrip press
    weighted dips

anyone offer tips/advice to improve it?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever November 2007
    QUOTE (coffee @ Nov 2 2007, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    (incline every other session, decline once every 2 weeks)

You prolly should do decline more often, it will help out your strength, which the strength will help out your size.
    QUOTE (coffee @ Nov 2 2007, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    legs/back

And also, your legs, back and chest are your biggest muscle groups of your body, try to keep them separate (it is just too much for one workout to work out 2 of them a day well)

I only workout 1 muscle group a day, and I workout my back and chest 2ce as much as any other body part (because that is what I am focusing on). This way you can spend all your time killing the one muscle group to get a good workout.

The intervals I do on days are as follows:

-Chest
    -Back
    -Triceps
    -Biceps
    -Chest
    -Back
    -Shoulders
    -Legs

-Repeat

I go 6 days a week and have one break a week usually on Sunday, but if you want to be real picky take that one break b4 a chest day, so you can be rested for the chest day and back day.
  • PhilPhil November 2007
    QUOTE (True Believer @ Nov 3 2007, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    And also, your legs, back and chest are your biggest muscle groups of your body, try to keep them separate (it is just too much for one workout to work out 2 of them a day well)

So what happens when you squat or deadlift? Those are both intense back and leg exercises.

Coffee, if you are getting bored with your routine, surf over to www.crossfit.com

They post a new workout every single day, with only enough repeats to test your improvement. Lots of strength work, and you can always add more. No boring isolation movements, or splits, or separation of back, legs, arms, lower arms, middle neck, front of torso, wrists...Quick fun workouts that hit the whole body and cause dramatically quick fitness and shortly thereafter the appearance of fitness (which is what we're all after anyways right? Get functional, go CrossFit. Check out some of the vids too...to see some monsters in action...

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFi...tersRStrong.wmv

QUOTE (Phil @ Nov 3 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    So what happens when you squat or deadlift? Those are both intense back and leg exercises.

I use deadlifts as a lower back (on my back days) workout with legs as a supporter, even though it does work out your legs a lot. Most of the major muscle groups are going to use other muscles. Chest workouts will give your triceps a good workout, Back workout will give your biceps a good workout. Squats and Deadlifts both actually give you a core workout. I can even go on with the smaller muscle groups using other muscles, such as triceps using your chest (close grips), biceps use your forearm in a lot of the exercises, shoulders also use a lot of your triceps. Its not what else does your workout help you out with, its what your focusing on. It is hard to work more than 1 major muscle group a day if you want a good workout, its just too much, you would not get them both to the stage that you want them in one workout. It just takes too much energy.
  • coffeecoffee November 2007
    Thanks guys, i've been lifting for a good 4 years now and i just felt like a change to get me interested again... although i'm still able to add small increments of weight to my lifts, it's more or less gotten to the point where i'm just doing it to stay in shape. so phil, appearance is not my concern, my intent is to make improvements in speed, coordination, agility, and strength. i'll definitely check out that site, thanks!

TB, the reason i do only ~3 effective exercises that hit all the areas of the muscles is because of what you posted - so i don't wear myself out. I also avoid routines where i pair muscle groups with its synergist(s) as the other side of the split, ie - chest/tri and back/bi
  • crazyd1415crazyd1415 November 2007
    if you want to punch and kick harder do plyometrics.

when I was kickboxing we did a ton.

basically jumping over lil boxes back and forth. side to side jumps and front to back jumps. also jumps onto boxes and back down. you want to minimize the time your feet are on the ground. we did 30 sec sets. then 15 sec. then 10. it burns. I can't remember if we did 1 minute sets much.

also, touch and go kicks. you basically kick maybe chest to head level and as soon as your feet touch you kick again. that burns too. 30 secs. a couple of sets.

then the pushups where you push up and clap. again, minimize time your hands are on the ground.

for strength in kicks. slow kicks. best combination to do is a slow swing to round to side kick all without putting your foot down. you want to do 10 of those keeping you feet off the ground the entire time. that will hurt bad.

next wall stretch. where you are against the wall and a guy pushes your leg as far up as it can go. once there you try to push down while the guy keeps your leg up. that hurts like hell. we do it with front and side kicks. also hold your leg up and have the guy push down on your leg and try to keep it where it is. that hurts pretty bad too. we do those in 10 sec intervals.

handstand pushups, one of the best work outs for arm strength.

another killer leg drill is have someone stand in front of you side ways. then without putting your leg down do side kicks on either side of him without touching him. the closer you are the harder it is. ideally you want to be just far enough away so that you have to fully chamber your kick to avoid hitting him. side and round kicks. sets of 25.

100 front, round, and side kicks both legs. sets of 100 where u don't put your feet down as fast as you can.

those drills will increase your kicking power by a shitload.

I didn't go much into punching power but there are a ton of drills.

and last, if you can kick the hell out of a bag for 3 minutes straight for 3 rounds in a real match you won't get tired.

oh and one thing, you don't want to over do the plyometrics. they are very hard on the body. seriously, you over do it you will mess yourself up.
  • PhilPhil November 2007
    Don't do more than 50 plyometrics movements in your first session, and work slowly up to about 100. 100 plyos movement is plenty of stress!

Personal favorite workout (takes ALL your energy)
    21-15-9 reps of each movement, for time-
    Deadlift 225lbs
    Handstand push-up
    aka, do 21 deadlifts, then 21 HSPU, then 15 deadlifts, then 15 HSPU, then 9 deadlifts and 9 HSPU. Do it as fast as you are able (while maintaining safe form). If you can't do it with HSPU, try it with pull-ups.

I am going to have to take the opposite stance with you True Believer, even though I agree that it IS hard to workout more than one major muscle group at a time. For that reason we SHOULD do it. Jumping, running, kicking, throwing, climbing, punching and any other real life physical movement requires many muscle groups, and requires them to work together. Why separate them during training, when the real applications of strength require multiple groups working in concert.

Bodybuilding splits and HIT make you bigger, and with bigness there comes a measure of strongness. But its not particularly useful strongness. Unless you specifically plan to enter bodybuilding competitions...train like an athlete not like a greased up, tanned, vascular freak. Train for performance. The idea here is transference. Bodybuilding movements (biceps curls, tricep pull downs, calf raises) have low transference. They don't make you better at anything other than doing those same movements (and make you grow). Athletic movements (the powerlifts, the olympic lifts, pull-ups, plyos, sprints, push-ups, dips) have high transference. Deadlifts make you a faster runner (Alyson Felix anyone?). All the stuff that CrazyD listed have high transference, because martial arts people don't want to get big, they want to get nasty, fast and strong.

When Mark Twight was training the cast and crew of 300, he did athletic training, using crossfit methods and Gym Jones (aka brutally high) standards. There were no bodybuilding splits. No back day, followed by arm day, followed by chest day. They gym they used did not even contain a bench, they did floor presses and push-ups. Those men were trained like athletes so they could perform the fight sequences for hours a day (transference). They got into ridiculous shape, by using high intensity compound movements. Emulate them. Look up their workouts and try them. Don't waste your time with the traditional bodybuilding workouts, find something better.

Even T-nation has acknowledged that only a small portion of their readers are bodybuilders and that most training is now based in performance (last months Atomic Dog by TC, title had something to do with Golden Soy). Get with the cutting edge in exercise and training. Don't be stuck in the past with Mike Mentzer and Ahnold.
  • NonRootNonRoot November 2007
    Ive been interested in following a workout routine for quite some time now. Im basically interested in something that is heavily involved with jogging and basic weight lifting. Id greatly appreciate if anyone suggested a routine along these guidelines, along with anything else that they would recommend. I dont really intend to gain a lot of mass, but would like to tone up a bit.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 November 2007
    aw man...i miss my giant post i made on GnS's thread on the old forum..oh well.

Eh..currently focusing on compound lifts. Taking it easy lately, going on a Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Shoulders 3 days/week. I like it
  • cutchinscutchins November 2007
    it's been over a year but i'm back in the gym. i'm sore as hell.

feels nice though.
    QUOTE (CJ. @ Nov 7 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    it's been over a year but i'm back in the gym. i'm sore as hell.

feels nice though.

nioce
  • mungomungo November 2007
    QUOTE (Phil @ Nov 5 2007, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Don't waste your time with the traditional bodybuilding workouts, find something better.

Oh Philly Philly Phil Phil Phil. I don't even know where to begin with this Nazi propaganda. First off, weight training is neccessary for all people to gain mass. If you read Butler's interview about training for 300, you'll understand that there was a 6 month period of high intensity training where they focused on 2 full body routines as well as splitting of muscle groups every week.

Resistance training, doing everything else you said it all fun and games -- but you NEED a foundation. You need a muscle base in order to improve beyond that. So is what you said entirely false? No, but don't go putting ideas that your way works the best. A healthy combination of core, weight training, and plyometrics will keep your body from finding its "in-zone." In other words, your body will always feel like you're reaching out of your comfort level when you hit the gym.

Always remember my favorite saying:
    Go big, or go home.
  • PhilPhil November 2007
    You KNOW what I am talking about, you know we agree:

I suppose I should rephrase, "don't waste your time with dumb stuff"

80% of the jerks in the gym like to use the "dumbbell flys, lat pull down and bicep curls" and "leg press, calf raise, and quarter squat" routine. :-p
    QUOTE (Phil @ Nov 19 2007, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You KNOW what I am talking about, you know we agree:

I suppose I should rephrase, "don't waste your time with dumb stuff"

80% of the jerks in the gym like to use the "dumbbell flys, lat pull down and bicep curls" and "leg press, calf raise, and quarter squat" routine. :-p

You don't know the gym I go to than =P
  • WedgeWedge December 2007
    i know i posted this in the last thread but i still need help

im currently trying to gain muscle mass and weight as fast as i can. but it seems like it just isnt working. currently working out 3 to 4 times a week and taking weight gainer. any other suggestions would be awesome. maybe other supplements to take to help out or specific routines i should be doing to gain as fast as i can. thanks guys
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever December 2007
    QUOTE (Wedge @ Dec 17 2007, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    i know i posted this in the last thread but i still need help

im currently trying to gain muscle mass and weight as fast as i can. but it seems like it just isnt working. currently working out 3 to 4 times a week and taking weight gainer. any other suggestions would be awesome. maybe other supplements to take to help out or specific routines i should be doing to gain as fast as i can. thanks guys

well it is mostly in your diet, I take 5 shakes a day (not weight gainers though, maybe 2 gainers a day and 3 non) I also eat a lot of grilled chicken (or boiled) and tuna fish, I eat 2-3 peanut butter sandwiches a day, and eat eggs or kashi cereal in the morning.
  • monkmonk December 2007
    Don't be stuck in the past with Mike Mentzer and Ahnold.

you hear that more and more, thankfully. People are finally understanding what its all about, pure functionality, control, power, and performance. The spreading of this understanding should be a positive impact on society as a whole revealing minds to more important facets of life than the superficial and marketing driven misconception of a obscenely bulky appearance.

For me-
    eat food, happens i prefer high protein or carbohydrates ;p in the end I don't give a shit, it all burns/absorbs fast enough for me.

water, milk if you can stand it unlike me. Some poweraid here or there if you are extremely dehydrated (electrolytes is only reason for me so its rare). white tea sometimes, real thing please

Kayak
    bike
    run distance, sprint ladders, free run, speed drills (nothing uve never heard of if you played soccer/maybe football and definitely track runners), supermans, starjumps (death is perferable if you do them right)
    my own weight, the floor, a wall, a bar on the wall. <3 trunk lifts
    simple routine of morning/nightly situps and pushups (widestance, diamond). Every 3 days I execute heavy workout, with endurance related every other day.

I will do routines with freeweight or machines if available, but simple surfaces and gravity are prefered.

Do invisible chairs, superman jumps, star jumps, and stretch good.
    also a little cannabis never hurts if you have naturally tense muscles. Deep tissue massage helps during recovery periods also. Lol samurais had this figured long ago image/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> then there is sex
    the trick to gain muscle weight is to eat 1.2-1.5 grams of protein per lbs. on your body.

I weigh 183 now so I would need to eat 220-275 grams of protein a day.
  • PhilPhil December 2007
    QUOTE (monk @ Dec 17 2007, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Deep tissue massage helps during recovery periods also.

Someone got me a sports massage as a gift, never had one before, but sounds like it should be excellent. Currently I just use a foam roller.
  • jkarate212jkarate212 December 2007
    I always used to overeat protein (still do) I would end up getting roughly 2g protein per lb bodyweight and I was barely even shooting for 1.25g. hehe :]
  • BrianBrian December 2007
    Ok, I have a question about something that happened recently when I was working out that has me somewhat... bothered?

I was doing my usual pre-sleep routine.

Warmup went fine, just like normal.

I go to do my pushups, and I get to about 80% of my usual, and I get a sudden splitting headache... it had an onset time from 0 to massive pain of about 15-20 seconds. I literally just kind of curled over clutching my head at that point and could no longer really function.

Fast forward about 10 minutes of me calling myself a pussy and soforth, and I go to finish my workout. I'm doing my curls and it keeps coming back, but never gets to the point it was at during pushups. I go to do abs, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Since then (its been about a week), every time I do my workout it comes back in the same way. I don't push it now like I did then, and I always end up stopping my pushups early because I know if I keep going I will pay for it. Always comes back not as badly during curls, and never bugs me during abs or warmups.

If I go to bed with the headache, I wake up with it.

Now, I've been doing pushups for years, and I got my dad who was a former local-pro body builder to inspect my form, and he sees nothing wrong.

What the fuck is this?

I'm thinking about going to see a doc, but just thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas here. Its not going away, and beasting through it is getting fucking annoying. (and is probably not the smartest of ideas)
    QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 22 2007, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I'm thinking about going to see a doc,

Best idea there. To me, it sounds like you have a case of migraines. I used to get them like 2ce a month out of no where. They can be caused by all sorts of things. If you figure out the problem you can deal with it and most likely the problem will go away. But, I would definitely go to the doctor making sure it isnt anything more severe, and if it is a case of migraines than maybe the doctor can pinpoint what exactly the problem is, you already have a good general idea (happens every time you work out) so maybe it has something to do with your blood pressure going up while you are working out.
  • monkmonk December 2007
    maybe it has something to do with your blood pressure going up while you are working out.
    agreed, and i have experienced similar sensations in the past, push ups specifically. something about the position and muscles used will send a rush of pressure to my head sometimes, uncontrollably strong.
  • cutchinscutchins December 2007
    yeah go to the doctor.
  • coffeecoffee April 2008
    so uh

Can I get some suggestions for alternatives to hack squats. You see, I want more complete development on my quads, specifically the outer sweep and inner teardrop, but turns out I hate hack squats

Current leg split includes:
    Leg extensions
    Leg Press
    regular BB squats
    lying leg curls
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever April 2008
    idk, hack squats are pretty unique. Do you use the machine, or do you do it the old fashion way? Because if I didn't have the hack squat machine I probably wouldn't do them either.
    the only piece of equipment that's not in my gym is the hack machine. I heard a close stance front squat is similar, any truth to that?
  • TrueBelieverTrueBeliever April 2008
    Ya, front squats will help out your a quads a lot.

I would also try to do more wide and middle stances for squats.

Wide should use more outer quad and most inner quad (not the tear drop you talk about)

Mid stance will use outer, middle, and you teardrop portion and less of the most inner quad.

I'm not a big leg guy, but I get my info from Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. It is basically the Bible of Strength Training. Great book for only 20 bucks.
  • NunesNunes April 2008
    Sold at many college bookstores too image/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> At least we had it at West Chester for the Kinesiology classes. And it makes sense to be in every schools kinesiology reading list.
    what i'm understanding is:

1. narrow stance = outer quad (sweep) focus
    2. wider stance = inner quad focus, but not directly over teardrop

is there anything you would suggest for the teardrop? i already do mid squats for mass but haven't done any other stances
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership